Disappointing Movies

Tools    

In the Beginning...
(I also agree with the disappointment in The Thin Red Line, not because I don't like the director, I liked the film Badlands a whole lot, but because it barely resembles the novel it's based on, which is one of my favourite books.
I've been thinking about reading the novel. I love the film. A lot of people seem to call it "meditative cinema," and I'd agree with that. It's not so much a film as something I can just get lost in.

So, do you recommend reading the novel? Will I like the film much less if I do?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I've been thinking about reading the novel. I love the film. A lot of people seem to call it "meditative cinema," and I'd agree with that. It's not so much a film as something I can just get lost in.

So, do you recommend reading the novel? Will I like the film much less if I do?
I definitely recommend the novel, it's probably the best anti-war novel ever written, not because it preaches at you, but because it plays it straight and tells what really happens. Judging from this and From Here to Eternity, James jones was really very critical of the army even as he served in WW2. (Unlike the film version, the novel of From Here to Eternity is very very cynical.)

You will probably still like the movie since you saw it first, but I read the book first and I thought the film's poetic dialogue and meditation on war seemed like B.S. compared to Jones' no-nonsense prose.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
i was SO disappointed by wall-e. i got let down by it. i just did't enjoy it all. it had no humor in it all.. just kinda blah. i loved the short though- that was the hands down best short pixar has done. it made me want more!!!

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I was dissapointed by so many films ie...

Blair witch project
Charlie and the chocolate factory
XXX
XXX2
In to the blue
Queen of the damned
The pink panther (06)
Wild Wild West
and thats just a few lol

In the Beginning...
Wild Wild West
Salma Hayek aside, I'm not sure this film has much of a capacity to be disappointing. I mean, some movies are so bad that their expectations have nowhere to go but up. I just wish Kenneth Branagh hadn't allied himself with such a shameless steaming floater.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I came here to list a few disappointing movies, but now I'm all caught up in the conversations about The Thin Red Line and Gladiator.

Rufnek, should every film you watch make total and perfect logical, historical sense? Where's the joy in that?

Gladiator, imo, is that kind of film that would have been disappointing if what I saw was what I expected to see.... instead of an action-packed revenge sword and sandal epic, Scott executed a rather spiritual journey of a tragic hero's journey "home." The film is anchored by what I believe is a perfect performance by Crowe as the sacrificial hero -- he is all loyalty and never wavers from it. When given a chance to live (all he had to do was shake Commodous' hand), he could not bring himself to betray a man he loved. And Scott bookmarks the film beautifully with Maximus' spirit in heaven. It's all about how we live and the choices we make -- "What we do in life echoes in eternity." Great line; summarizes the story.

I actually find it frustrating when people think that film is disappointing, because it wasn't at all what I expected when I went to see it. I had seen my share of sword and sandal epics and this was markedly different. I absolutely love it. And Crowe is simply amazing to watch.

I think The Thin Red Line is a beautiful, poetic film about the nature of war and is a debate about whether man finds war natural or unnatural. A better discussion on war I don't think has ever been done.

Just my opinion, of course...

My most disappointing movie is Pirates 3. That doesn't mean I don't watch it or enjoy it. (I just watched it again!) I understand it more with multiple viewings, but what gets me is how great it could have been. I really wish the last two films hadn't been so convoluted. The story of Sparrow and what happened with Beckett in the past would have made for an interesting film, I think. Or something along the lines of the East India Trading Company or the British going after Sparrow.

Oh, and the ending of No Country for Old Men is what made it great.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Salma Hayek aside, I'm not sure this film has much of a capacity to be disappointing. I mean, some movies are so bad that their expectations have nowhere to go but up. I just wish Kenneth Branagh hadn't allied himself with such a shameless steaming floater.
Wild Wild West was a horrible film, everything about was wrong I really didnt enjoy it at all.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
How could I of forgot this horrifiying remake of Psycho it was terrible.

This remake why? there was no need to make a frame by frame copy of an absoulute classic. This remake was a sham and a cash in it was dier! fair play this was crap.

A system of cells interlinked
I have some issues with Gladiator. Good point on the myth comment, though. Most of my issues are with the narrative, so, looking at it as more of a myth helps soften those issues.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I have some issues with Gladiator. Good point on the myth comment, though. Most of my issues are with the narrative, so, looking at it as more of a myth helps soften those issues.
Oh good, glad to be of help.

Actually, they admit the script was pretty fluid through filming, so, yea, the film's narrative certainly has its flaws. My real love for the movie solely comes down to Maximus' character. They even took out a scene showing the Christians being sent in to the Colliseum so as to focus entirely on Maximus. (And I just love Richard Harris' thoughful Marcus.)

A system of cells interlinked
Sure, the film has a lot going for it. I own a copy. I just don't consider it to be as great as most people do.

Gladiator

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Ahhh cool it is a great film but its no where near the best film ive ever seen, there are a lot of people who think its one of the best I dont lol and your rating is very fair.

Dark Knight Rises

I really love the first two, and I've seen this one five times already. Still, parts of the story in this seemed very rushed and poorly done. Joseph Gordon Levit's character has no place in the film, Marion Cotillard's character has no place in the film. Bane is underwritten, Bane's plan is nonsense, The shot of batman in the batmobile after he left it, is confusing and bad. "So you've come back to die with your city?". "No I've come back to stop you".

The list goes on forever of stupid things this movie does, most of which deflate the cinematic spectacle. Still a very enjoyable movie, but I was expecting a lot more from it.

The Hobbit 1 and 2

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and they had me on some pretty strong painkiller, I sat down and watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time and fell in love with it. All three are brilliant. The Hobbit is not brilliant. The Hobbit is the Star Wars prequels.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I would say

Gladiator

Dark Knight Rises

Joseph Gordon Levit's character has no place in the film, Marion Cotillard's character has no place in the film.
JGL only purpose I could see was to give people a teaser about a possible Robin/Nightwing movie. Marion Cotillard is Talia Al Ghul and she difinately needed in the story. She had to gain the trust of Bruce Wayne to get energy machine thing. Without that Bane would not have come even close to destroying Gotham.

I was very disappointed with BACK TO THE FUTURE II, considering how nearly perfect the first film was. Ditto BEVERLY HILLS COP II. A film that is considered a classic masterpiece that I was very disappointed with was 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

I have seen a lot of disappointing movies, but maybe the most are :
- Eat, pray, love
- The Da Vinci code
I read this books, and I expected these films eagerly, but they were not worth it.

Eragon. It was watchable but they changed it in annoying ways and the whole thing felt like a rushed cash-in.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!