Commercial Success or Critical Success?

Tools    

Which do you think is more important?

Exampleanny Day Lewis-3 Oscars

Tom Cruise-Biggest Star ever in terms of BO

Of course Critical Success, the same goes with music, books and all art. Maybe not with paintings, but pretty much in everything.

Both.Any artist has to be not only professional but also inspire/influence people.DDL is not the best example,I tend to think that he is successful both commercially and critically.

Also Johnny Depp, never got an Oscar but he's amazing and successful.

More important for a viewer has to be critical success and how good they actually are as opposed to how much money they make? SURELY?

For actors they will want a bit of both I suppose, some more commercial than others, Adam Sandler.

I suppose it should be every actors dream to be both.

I hope those who are critical successes start getting appreciated at the box office, Joe Levitt as an example.

Which do you think is more important?

Exampleanny Day Lewis-3 Oscars

Tom Cruise-Biggest Star ever in terms of BO
Usually, the best movies ever, at least in my list, are both box office successes and critical successes. For example, 2001: A Space Odyssey, was the highest grossing film of 1968 and was a overwhelming critical success as well. While Apocalypse Now was the fourth highest grossing film of 1979 and also a critical success.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Commercial success helps filmmakers/stars keep their job. Critical success gets them respect. Both are pretty important, by themselves or together. Take Michael Bay, for example. His films make about a kajillion dollars each, but he gets little to no critical praise. But he's still in the business. The Hurt Locker made about 50 cents at the Box Office, but won some Oscars, which are, like it or not, ultimate critical praise, deserved or not. Kathryn Bigelow is still in the business because of it.

Both are quite important, especially for the actors and filmmakers, but as a movie fan I couldn't care less about commercial success. I mean, it's critical praise that makes me want to watch a movie, not the fact that they've made millions at the box office.

I've only been watching critically acclaimed films for the past 12 months or so.

I watched Shawshank Redemption because it was critically praised and wanted to see how good it was.

I watched Transformers because it was a huge hit and wanted to see it because a movie that became such a huge hit must have had something good in it.

If you become an actor,which will you prefer to have?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you become an actor,which will you prefer to have?
Critical success would make me proud, but it'd be commercial success thanks to which I'd achieve money and recognition.

It really just depends on the movie. When it comes to B-Movies I prefer to go with the audience. When it come to dramas and most other movies I usually agree more with whatever the Rotten Tomato score is.

EDIT- Oh never mind you said commercial success. I was thinking general audience for some reason. Yeah I'd have to say that critical success is always more important than commercial success. Especially if you are an avid movie watcher and want to see originality or general story plots told well.