The Buy-a-MoFo-a-DVD Club

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Dex I got your movie today, never seen it and it looks good.

Are we supposed to put the reviews here or where?
either here or link to where u posted it i guess.

Ok so i just received a copy of

HG Wells' First Men in the Moon (1964)

not only have i not seen it before, but i see in the Special features there is a retrospective on FX legend Harryhauzen !!!

I suspect this is the long delayed title from Akatemple, and if so, thank you good sir.
Apologies first, as somehow this flick was put in the miscelaneous gift basket in the hall closet by my wife. The wrap hadnt been taken off, and i guess i made the cardinal sin of leaving it out in the open, and so she just figured it was yet another candidate for the prize bin. ( 4 kids plus my wifes sterotypical french-catholic multiple niece and nephew pool, there are birthdays like every week it seems, so when deals are seen we snag em and toss into the bin for such occasions)

anyway.......

Ever wonder what would happen if mission to mars was made with a chitty chitty bang bang sensibility? No? yeah i mean who does, The makers of First Men in the Moon thats who.

The year is 1964 and teh United Nations has launched a rocket expidition to the moon. When they arrive however, the multi-racial astronauts are shocked to see a Union Jack Flag planted on teh lunar surface naming Kate Calender and claiming teh moon for Queen Victoria. Dun dun dunnn.

They find her husband in an old age home (she has since passed on) and he proceeds to tell a rather extraordinary fantastical tale (HG Wells people) about the Adventure of he, his fiancee at the time and an Inventor (wonderfull played by dick van dykes dad in Chitty Chitty BB) who invented an anti gravity system and traverse to the moon in 1890.

The locals are catapillar like creatures which look much better when stop motion FX are used, and rather silly when its obviously children or dwarfs in halloween costumes. Suffice to say, teh Bugs aren't tickled that their home planet has been invaded by interlopers.

To say anything else would be to spoil the fun.

And fun it is. This is the sorta movie that used to play Saturday Afternoons on a winters day when its cold outside, but not quite cold enough to have frozen the river for hockey.

Thats how i fondly recall watching the Sinbad flicks which also featured the badass effects of Harryhauzen.

Thanks Aka!

He doesn't give any indication that it's him on the package? Dexterrrrr, you should learn some mail etiquette!
this is why you ought to be in the club. Nobody knows as much about the proper way to treat the mail.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Sorry this took so long Dexter, definitely not my best work, for some reason I was having a hard time finding the words to describe what I wanted to.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...d.php?p=845660

I will get the rest on here really soon.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looooong overdue.

Superman: The Movie

Still to this day, Superman is one of the best superhero films. Before re-watching it, the thing I remember most of Donner's Superman is when he was a kid and lifts the car up while with the Kents.

What strikes me the most though, is how this film compares to the most recent superman outing, Superman Returns. While Routh does an excellent job in the role, he didn't have the chemistry or the spark that Reeves had. A lot of the chemistry fell flat with Bosworth's wooden Lois Lane. Kidder is the real star of the show as the feisty Lane, which I see a lot in common with Karen Allen's role in Raiders.

Hackman plays Lex Luthor, criminal mastermind and one of his most memorable roles at that. Add Ned Beatty's bumbling fool of a sidekick and you have yourself a great pairing of smarts and fool.

I think I might prefer Superman II over this one, Terrance Stamp does a great Zod and the matched powers gives the viewer some sense of real urgency. Not to mention the time travel in this film is absolutely absurd and almost ruins the ending.

Even though the film was made in the 70's, in 2012, you'll still believe this man can fly.

Suspect's Reviews