Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
What I don't get is accents. Given that these people ARE Italian, speaking Italian and that dialog is presented in English in the movie, just WHY do they speak English with an Italian accent? It's a translated script guys, either do it in Italian with subtitles or use standard English.

I wasn't planning on seeing House of Gucci but if it turns out there's a part where they smuggle The Fallen Maddona around in a sausage then I'm in...

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=64010284

Gattaca - (1997)

I'd never seen a film raise such questions about the ethics of genetic engineering before Gattica, and I haven't seen many since. Here we have an interesting sci-fi concept of the future, which is a mix of 1950s noir and Gilliamesque dystopia, and where discrimination is no longer based on race but on genetics. Those naturally born and inferior are known as "In-Valid"s and can't rise beyond their station. Ethan Hawke's Vincent is trying to pass himself off as someone else - which requires much removal of dead skin, wearing of blood patches and various other guises - all to reach his goal of becoming an astronaut. In the meantime the administrator of the space agency he's a part of is murdered, and detectives with little vacuums and blood testing machines become the bane of his life. Alan Arkin, Tony Shalhoub, Ernest Borgnine, Jude Law and Uma Thurman give this dark metronomic look at the future of humanity a great boost in the acting stakes.

The people in the bulk of this film wear the same 50s style business attire, and the cars are toned down models from the same era instead of futuristic style cars. There's nary a neon sign, screen or civilian in sight - just depressing conformity and greys as people shuffle around like ants. I like our future a lot more...

7/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2009/hangover.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22544512

The Hangover - (2009)

I haven't seen parts II or III - so I rewatched this in preparation for them. Vegas looks like a lot of fun (but not the way these guys experienced it.) Not a bad effort from Todd Phillips - and of course Zach Galifianakis steals the whole freaking movie.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=64010284

Gattaca - (1997)

I'd never seen a film raise such questions about the ethics of genetic engineering before Gattica, and I haven't seen many since. Here we have an interesting sci-fi concept of the future, which is a mix of 1950s noir and Gilliamesque dystopia, and where discrimination is no longer based on race but on genetics. Those naturally born and inferior are known as "In-Valid"s and can't rise beyond their station. Ethan Hawke's Vincent is trying to pass himself off as someone else - which requires much removal of dead skin, wearing of blood patches and various other guises - all to reach his goal of becoming an astronaut.
Love Gattaca, and love it more on each rewatch.

Victim of The Night

Bishop Henry Brougham (David Niven) is too busy struggling to get the wealthy of New York to finance his new cathedral to remember how wonderful his wife (the heartbreaking Loretta Young) is or what was really important to him in this life. Unable to raise the funds for the new church without giving in totally to the demands of one particularly powerful patron, he prays for guidance... and gets Dudley (Cary Grant). A great deal of warm sentiment wrapped in Grant's charm ensues.
I admit I cannot objectively rate this film because it is one of few that can actually warm my cold stone of a heart, despite the film being rather Christian and me being rather a devout atheist. It leaves me with tears down my cheeks in the best possible way every time I see it, particularly in the scene when Dudley bares the powerful patron's secret memory to her and reminds her of her soul.
Just a Holiday classic for me that gives me warmth and makes me feel like it's not all bad.

What I don't get is accents. Given that these people ARE Italian, speaking Italian and that dialog is presented in English in the movie, just WHY do they speak English with an Italian accent? It's a translated script guys, either do it in Italian with subtitles or use standard English. That part makes no sense at all.

Fully with you there. To make things still more embarrassing, Gaga’s accent really is full-on Russian, as Salma’s (?) voice coach, or someone, recently hinted.

Triangle (2009)

Finally jumped onto this one like many others I have seen on this site, and I'm afraid to say I thought it was pretty ordinary. Gripping for the whole movie, yet it didn't really become worthwhile in my eyes until the final 15 minutes or so. It seemed a bit too predictable, and I enjoyed Coherence a lot more which contained similar concepts.

The Deer Hunter 1978

This was on TV last night and I’d not seen it for years. This is a masterpiece not only in its depiction of the brutality of war but it’s incredibly realistic depiction of male friendships, powerful and haunting picture. Eerily good.

Random fact - The director actually convinced Christopher Walker to spit in Robert Deniro’s face, Deniro was shocked, as evidenced by his reaction, he was so furious he nearly walked off the set. The director said of Walker “He’s got courage”

Can’t believe there’s actually some negative reviews of this on IMDb, hold on let me put on my retarded voice*

“The Deer Hunter is not as deep as it thinks it is”

I don’t have enough sighs.

Prospect -

This movie could be described as a "mumblecore space western." It stars Sophie Thatcher and Jay Duplass as a daughter and father whose shuttle crash lands on a planet that could be described as "Space Deadwood:" a lawless place with treasures that some would kill to acquire. As luck would have it, they run into such a person: Ezra (Pedro Pascal), a role that might as well have landed him the lead in The Mandalorian.

Thatcher's role as the female lead and audience surrogate highlights the importance of such a part being memorable and emotionally resonant in movies like this one. I wouldn't use either word to describe her performance, though. While she's pretty good at expressing her character's strength, her coldness and vacancy made me long for a performance akin to Hailee Steinfeld's in True Grit or Natalie Portman's in Annihilation. Pascal fares better: he makes his rogue appropriately hard to like, and speaking of Deadwood, he does well with the flowery dialogue. It still wasn't quite enough to make me feel more like an observer than a participant.

Despite the movie's lack of a human touch, I enjoyed it well enough. The look and feel, which prioritizes practical effects, mostly made up for my lack of involvement with the characters. I also think the movie mostly succeeds in getting its point across about the importance of being able to bargain when you're in a strange place where everyone wants a piece of you. I just wish I had enjoyed the entire product in practice more than in theory. If you have Hulu and you're in the mood for something like this, you should check it out, but you'd be better off going through Firefly or Cowboy Bebop instead if you have the time to spare.

Triangle (2009)

Finally jumped onto this one like many others I have seen on this site, and I'm afraid to say I thought it was pretty ordinary. Gripping for the whole movie, yet it didn't really become worthwhile in my eyes until the final 15 minutes or so. It seemed a bit too predictable, and I enjoyed Coherence a lot more which contained similar concepts.
For me, this was a really cool film, and it holds up on a rewatch. The idea of
WARNING: spoilers below
the timelines "accumulating" instead of resetting---ie the bodies literally piling up--was (for me at least) a novel and very compelling concept.

Prospect -

This movie could be described as a "mumblecore space western." It stars Sophie Thatcher and Jay Duplass as a daughter and father whose shuttle crash lands on a planet that could be described as "Space Deadwood:" a lawless place with treasures that some would kill to acquire. As luck would have it, they run into such a person: Ezra (Pedro Pascal), a role that might as well have landed him the lead in The Mandalorian.

Thatcher's role as the female lead and audience surrogate highlights the importance of such a part being memorable and emotionally resonant in movies like this one. I wouldn't use either word to describe her performance, though. While she's pretty good at expressing her character's strength, her coldness and vacancy made me long for a performance akin to Hailee Steinfeld's in True Grit or Natalie Portman's in Annihilation. Pascal fares better: he makes his rogue appropriately hard to like, and speaking of Deadwood, he does well with the flowery dialogue. It still wasn't quite enough to make me feel more like an observer than a participant.
I can't defend this one as being a great film, but I really like it and I've probably watched it 3-4 times (usually skipping to about 30 minutes in). I liked the uncertain nature of the relationship between Pascal and Thatcher's characters, and especially that it doesn't just straight to her trusting him. I saw her distance as actually feeling appropriate (though I agree it makes her a bit less endearing), as she realizes she's at the mercy of an opportunist. And I liked the weirdness of the final act.

For me, this was a really cool film, and it holds up on a rewatch.
Same. Adore it. My father who has a degree in biochemistry, however, was as annoyed at the
”accumulating timelines”
bit as I was enamoured with it. Was quite funny how he couldn’t reconcile this being sci-fi with the physics “not making sense”. Cracked me up to no end.

Same. Adore it. My father who has a degree in biochemistry, however, was as annoyed at the
”accumulating timelines”
bit as I was enamoured with it. Was quite funny how he couldn’t reconcile this being sci-fi with the physics “not making sense”. Cracked me up to no end.
I think that it depends on whether you perceive what's happening as actually
time travel in a sci-fi sense OR if you interpret it as some people do to be more abstract, like as if she is in purgatory, doomed to endless cycles of forgetting and then remembering what she did to her child.

Because there's no "device" or mechanism for it to actually be science-based. She is just, somehow, in this loop.

I think that it depends on whether you perceive what's happening as actually
time travel in a sci-fi sense OR if you interpret it as some people do to be more abstract, like as if she is in purgatory, doomed to endless cycles of forgetting and then remembering what she did to her child.

Because there's no "device" or mechanism for it to actually be science-based. She is just, somehow, in this loop.
Interesting. Maybe you’re right. It does work as a metaphor, but I kind of took it more or less at face value.

Interesting. Maybe you’re right. It does work as a metaphor, but I kind of took it more or less at face value.
I guess that for me,
being randomly stuck in a time loop and being condemned to purgatory are equally unlikely events, and the film itself doesn't seem overly concerned with explaining the mechanics--unlike other time-travel films like Primer or even Timecrimes--so I don't worry to much about why it's happening.

Fully with you there. To make things still more embarrassing, Gaga’s accent really is full-on Russian, as Salma’s (?) voice coach, or someone, recently hinted.
I hadn't noticed exactly that, but I certainly did notice that every cast member had a different take on an "Italian" accent. I was sufficiently bemused that I didn't notice Gaga doing it Russian-style. That's ironic, given her Italian ancestry. You'd think she would have heard an actual Italian accent somewhere along the way or at least would have wanted to get it right.

I hadn't noticed exactly that, but I certainly did notice that every cast member had a different take on an "Italian" accent. I was sufficiently bemused that I didn't notice Gaga doing it Russian-style. That's ironic, given her Italian ancestry. You'd think she would have heard an actual Italian accent somewhere along the way or at least would have wanted to get it right.
That’s what I thought. But as someone with Russian relatives, I can confirm it does sound a bit Russian. Very odd.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...s-Russian.html