The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That's just about my experience with Cuckoo's Nest too. I first seen it on TV in the mid 80s and thought Nurse Ratched was evil personified! A couple years ago I watched it for the second time, that's when I developed a whole new approach to the film and her character.

Now that you mention it, yes she was cute at the time of filming Cuckoo's Nest. Though they sure had her made up to look as uptight as possible.

On the DVD extras Louise Fletcher said that everyone on the set was having a great time being generally wild and spirited, but she felt she had to stay in character. So when the shooting was all done, she let loose and went topless on the set, which everyone cheered. Of course today she might be charged with sexual harassment. Just different times
What's all this forgiveness of Ratched? She literally causes the suicide of someone who appears to be cured and keeps McMurphy on the ward out of sheer vengefulness leading to his lobotomization.

Also I'm never going to be able to watch it now without thinking about her running around the set with her **** out!!!

What's all this forgiveness of Ratched? She literally causes the suicide of someone who appears to be cured and keeps McMurphy on the ward out of sheer vengefulness leading to his lobotomization.
Did she really, though? I haven't seen it in a while, but...

WARNING: spoilers below

I do remember she found the kid with a prostitute inside the facilities after a night of partying. I'm not necessarily condoning her methods which were to embarrass him, but I don't think she intended the kid to kill himself, and her reaction/face when they find him tells as much. I don't see it as much as "forgiveness", but once again, she is a representation of a failed and archaic system that didn't much care about the well-being of the patients. I've always felt that chalking her up as a straight-up villain sorta absolves the system from the blame, which I don't think was the point of the film.

@John-Connor, I liked the clips you provided, especially when Marty is making his escape from Biff and his cronies, and at 1:25, we see Lorraine (Lea Thompson) turn and say, "He's an absolute dream!" That smile of delight on her beautiful face really put me in the Lea Thompson fan club for a long time.
Beautiful indeed, but back then it was always Jennifer for me.

Did she really, though? I haven't seen it in a while, but...

WARNING: spoilers below

I do remember she found the kid with a prostitute inside the facilities after a night of partying. I'm not necessarily condoning her methods which were to embarrass him, but I don't think she intended the kid to kill himself, and her reaction/face when they find him tells as much. I don't see it as much as "forgiveness", but once again, she is a representation of a failed and archaic system that didn't much care about the well-being of the patients. I've always felt that chalking her up as a straight-up villain sorta absolves the system from the blame, which I don't think was the point of the film.
Yeah and then she threatened a suicidal patient with his biggest fear. She knew McMurphy didn't belong there and when the Dr.'s were going to put him back on the work farm she spoke up to keep him there. She's a horrible person and the scene that shows it more than anything is her completely emotionless face after McMurphy's first experience with group therapy when everything goes completely off the rails. That shot is the key to the entire movie as it's when both realize what they're up against.

That's just about my experience with Cuckoo's Nest too. I first seen it on TV in the mid 80s and thought Nurse Ratched was evil personified! A couple years ago I watched it for the second time, that's when I developed a whole new approach to the film and her character.

Now that you mention it, yes she was cute at the time of filming Cuckoo's Nest. Though they sure had her made up to look as uptight as possible.

On the DVD extras Louise Fletcher said that everyone on the set was having a great time being generally wild and spirited, but she felt she had to stay in character. So when the shooting was all done, she let loose and went topless on the set, which everyone cheered. Of course today she might be charged with sexual harassment. Just different times

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah and then she threatened a suicidal patient with his biggest fear. She knew McMurphy didn't belong there and when the Dr.'s were going to put him back on the work farm she spoke up to keep him there. She's a horrible person and the scene that shows it more than anything is her completely emotionless face after McMurphy's first experience with group therapy when everything goes completely off the rails. That shot is the key to the entire movie as it's when both realize what they're up against.
Yeah, I understand. I'm not saying she isn't a horrible person, but my point is that I'm not sure another nurse in the same spot wouldn't react in similar ways cause that's how mental patients were seen and treated then. Once again, I don't want to absolve her of her "sins", but I don't want to put all those chips on her side and not on the system as well.

Yeah, I understand. I'm not saying she isn't a horrible person, but my point is that I'm not sure another nurse in the same spot wouldn't react in similar ways cause that's how mental patients were seen and treated then. Once again, I don't want to absolve her of her "sins", but I don't want to put all those chips on her side and not on the system as well.
I'm sure plenty of decent nurses would have said, yea he's not crazy get him out of here. With Ratched it was No I want to torment him and rule him.

• 150 points
  • 11 lists
32. A Clockwork Orange

Director

Stanley Kubrick, 1971

Starring

Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Adrienne Corri, Michael Bates

• 154 points
  • 9 lists
31. Once Upon a Time in the West

Director

Sergio Leone, 1968

Starring

Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson

Was Nurse Ratched in charge of diagnosing and discharging patients? As far as I know, she's a *nurse*, head nurse, but nurse nonetheless. Not a shrink. So I'm not sure the decision to have McMurphy in the institution in the first place, and eventually keep him there, was entirely up to her. Let's not forget that he was in prison for statutory rape and that he brought himself to where he was. I'm not very keen on labeling him as a "hero", just like I'm not very keen on labeling her as a straight-up "villain". I believe the film is more complex than that and its ambitions and goals go above that.

A Clockwork Orange is wonderfully made and acted, but it's a little too antagonistic for replay value and it's a little bit predictable. 97/100. :P

Once Upon a Time in the West was my first Sergio Leone film and I fell in love with it. I noticed pretty early on the the camera techniques centering around zooming in on expressions was essential for mood setting. 99/100.

Despite both films being made by canon directors, both are making their MoFo Top 100 debut today, which is kind of frightening. How many Kubrick films will make it in the top 40? Is Leone only getting two films, including The Good, the Band & the Ugly? But in the end, no new multiples.

Never got the love for Clockwork. Tried it a few times, just never got into it.
Once Upon is classic Spaghetti in every sense.

My List  

Top 30 coming up tomorrow then

2010 >> 2020 Comparison  

Was Nurse Ratched in charge of diagnosing and discharging patients? As far as I know, she's a *nurse*, head nurse, but nurse nonetheless. Not a shrink. So I'm not sure the decision to have McMurphy in the institution in the first place, and eventually keep him there, was entirely up to her. Let's not forget that he was in prison for statutory rape and that he brought himself to where he was. I'm not very keen on labeling him as a "hero", just like I'm not very keen on labeling him as a straight-up "villain". I believe the film is more complex than that and its ambitions and goals go above that.
I'm sure in that particular scene the doctors all seem set to get rid of McMurphy and ask Ratched's opinion, who strongly suggests he should stay so he can be "helped". So she isn't in charge of the decision but weighs in with a strong opinion, an opinion respected by her bosses. I don't think anyone evr said it was entirely up to her, but from that scene it's clear she has kept him there.

I wouldn't call McMurphy a "hero" as such, I agree with you there that it's a bit deeper than outright hero's and villains.

Bunch of you got A Clockwork Orange correct, which I'm not surprised by. I knew writing it it was probably too easy, but there ya' go. Just in case nobody caught on to it, though, "precipitating" was a double entendre since it means "to cause/cause suddenly" and they were singing "Singin' in the Rain" during a beating. As for the one nobody got:

Some are struck dumb
Unwilling to shout
Who might cringe if you ask them
If they want to hang out

Refers to Harmonica and his back story:

WARNING: "Once Upon a Time in the West" spoilers below
He's a mute who was forced to participate in his own brother's hanging.

Happy enough to see both A Clockwork Orange and Once Upon A Time In The West take their respective places on this list. The former admittedly took a few watches for me to really warm to but the latter was an instant success.

Seen: 60/70 (Own: 28/70)
My list:  

Faildictions (Eternal vsn 1.0):
30. Yôjinbô (1961)
29. Vampyr (1932)

"OUATITW" was seen many moons ago and really don't remember anything about it. A revisit is due here.

However, " A Clockwork Orange" I remember all. One of my last cuts and if a list redo was in order, "aCO" would have made the cut. When first viewed, I hated it, polar opposite today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

55/70 films seen

I like A Clockwork Orange, but it's not even on my Kubrick Top 5. It's been a while since I've seen it, though, but I do think it's worthy of the list.

Once Upon a Time in the West I saw for the first time a couple years ago and loved it. I wrote something about it on Letterboxd (read here) but for some reason, didn't think of it when making my list. However, it's probably my #2 western, after Unforgiven.