What was the movie that made you love movies?

Tools    

I have a fond memory of Superman (78) - obviously - as it was the ONLY movie I ever went to and watched with my dad - just me and him (no other family members, no friends, etc.)

I had discovered superhero comics in 1975 (or more accurately began buying and collecting them at that time) - so when the movie came out it was a big deal for me. Comic book-based, live-action, superhero motion pictures were not a "thing" in the 70's as they are now.

My dad worked two jobs, one was the nightshift, through my entire childhood and much of my adult life before he retired, and I had 2 older brothers and our mother that he had to split time between when he was off, so doing anything together was rare.

Its been awhile, just bumping this fossil to find out what movies our new group of posters were inspired by.

This is kind of like asking what was the first scoop that made you fall in love with ice cream or the first bite that made you fall in love with chocolate. In truth, we don't remember.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which would've become an all-time favorite of mine, even if the audience I watched it with hadn't applauded at the end (although that certainly helped out).

Most shockingly to me now, I first saw it on TV, where it was cropped to 4:3 and was missing the entire Civil War battle sequence!

Same movie as I would imagine it was for most true cinephiles:

A classic, as is the sequel, Titicut Follies.

I was moved to see Robert Rodriguez pay homage to both in From Dusk Till Dawn.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

I was five. It became my whole life for a long time.

Of course, then Phantom Menace came out some years later and destroyed my soul.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Danny Boyle's Sunshine. Though my appreciation of the film has gone down quite a bit over the years, I still like it quite a lot (it also made my top 25 of the 00's). That's the first film I ever reviewed, in fact. As far as classic films go, probably 12 Angry Men.

In all serious, it's Blade Runner. I've never watched anything as transporting, immersive, atmospheric or that has impacted my tastes as much that movie. Don't get me wrong: the characters and story are compelling and thought-provoking and I wouldn't care about the movie if they were mediocre, but above all else, it is a masterclass in how much the direction, production design and score can do the aforementioned things. My movie obsession is likely an attempt to recreate or better the experience that Blade Runner provided.

King Kong....the old one. I was a kid, about 5, it was on TV. I watched it and it scared the living crap out of me. For about a week, I had to keep my bedroom curtains shut because I was sure that the big gorilla face would be looking in MY window. Curtains would keep him out.

It was like my first hit of some sort of dope. First I wanted more monsters, then my taste expanded to where I can see the merit in most (but not all) genres.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Terminator 2, For A Few Dollars More, The Dark Knight

King Kong....the old one. I was a kid, about 5, it was on TV. I watched it and it scared the living crap out of me. For about a week, I had to keep my bedroom curtains shut because I was sure that the big gorilla face would be looking in MY window. Curtains would keep him out.

It was like my first hit of some sort of dope. First I wanted more monsters, then my taste expanded to where I can see the merit in most (but not all) genres.
This brought back memories of Thanksgiving day. I don't remember which network it was, but on Thanksgiving they'd show monster movies all day - starting with Kong, then Son of Kong, then Mighty Joe Young and then Godzilla movies the rest of the day!