Tools    

Movie Forums Extra
I have not seen all movies by Studio Ghibli. Following are movies that i liked
Whisper of the Heart
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Please tell me your Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie and why

Mine is Princess Mononoke the reason why is its just an epic masterpeice and i also like Spirited away
How about some more detail..

If I had to choose one movie out of all of the Ghibli collection it would have to be Howl's. It was the second Ghibli I'd ever seen. In my opinion Howl's has the most unique story and characters, I'd never seen anything like it. Sophie's story alone was interesting enough, adding Howl's and the castles story on top its huge. Being one of the newest, the animation and sound are near perfect. Bale as Howl on the English dub works perfectly along with the rest of the cast. Howl's Moving Castle isn't only my favorite Studio Ghibli film but one of my favorites films in general.

Heh , I just got done watching pretty much all their movies - I'm gona rewatch Princess Mononoke as well. All animated movies (some Pixar aside) , let alone other anime movies , shows - look silly in comparison to Ghibli's work.

Just for comparison's sake ...

Castle in the Sky - 1986

two years later

Akira - 1988

Two years later pretty much all the same techniques are used and a one time group dubbed Akira Committee worked on this one , with some very fluid action scenes - but extremely lacking environments. Even though it has some stuff running for it , it's animation is not comparable to the earlier Laputa.

much later

The Lion King - 1994

Disney by now was falling far behind the standard in Japan , but was still making a ton of money in America. Very bland settings and landscapes , with average character animation - not to mention Disney's continuation of doing musical after musical.

much later again ....

Ponyo on the Cliff - 2008

... and now Ghibli has made probably the best looking animated feature yet. This one is coming to american theatres this year actually , but you can already get it on DVD in Japan.

Please tell me your Favorite Studio Ghibli Movie and why

Mine is Princess Mononoke the reason why is its just an epic masterpeice and i also like Spirited away
Could not agree with you more Princess Mononoke is not only one of my favorite animes but also films of all time, it is such an epic movie with characters you care about and a message embedded within itself that really you can relate with (eg. all the harm we are doing to our world) anything Hayao Miyazaki touches turns to pure gold.

Next to PM I'd have to go with Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro all masterpieces

(Ive seen everything Studio Ghibli (including the short stories,videoclip and some related-to-ghibli work(Hols,Future Boy Conan...)))
my personal favorites
-Laputa:Castle In The Sky 1986
-Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 1984
...it must be something personal,in these 2 I have the best feeling of freedom and dynamic adventure without to long scenes.
I dont put Princess Mononoke first (could be put as 3rd for me) because I think they made it a bit too long.But I agree it is one of Miyazaki's masterpieces (only a couple are not ,imo)

!In fact most of the more known Studio Ghibli movies come verry close to each other in therms of quality...

An Idea,
Why dont we suggest non-Ghibli movies which would fit the Ghibli universe.

My suggestions(from more-fitting to less-fitting):
-"A Tree Of Palme" (closest movie to the Ghibli style/universe imo,I personally like verry much)
-"Origin"
-"Brave Story"
-"The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"
-"Escaflowne - A Girl In Gaea"
-"Paprika"
-"Summer Wars"

Here’s when each Studio Ghibli film will hit Netflix in 2020
All but one will be available to stream soon.

1 February 2020
Castle in the Sky (1986)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Ocean Waves (1993)
Tales From Earthsea (2006)

1 March 2020
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind (1984)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Cat Returns (2002)
Arrietty (2010)
The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

1 April 2020
Pom Poko (1994)
Whisper Of The Heart (1995)
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea (2008)
From Up On Poppy Hill (2011)
The Wind Rises (2013)
When Marnie Was There (2014)

[i]Here’s when each Studio Ghibli film will hit Netflix in 2020
All but one will be available to stream soon.
I thought the US was excluded from this
Yeah, all of North America is excluded actually. Instead, US gets all 6 Police Academy movies!

Most of Ghibli's movies are fantasy. Spirited Away is their best. But Red Turtle is another good one which doesn't get a lot of mention. Very very artistic.

Didn't Netflix just bag Ghibli movies?

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
My wife is a huge Miyazaki fan, and I bought her the collection for her birthday last year. But I've only watched a few of them with her. Kiki, Spirited Away, Ponyo, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle...

Of those, it's Spirited Away for me. Sweet story, with some dark and cultural twists. Fascinating lore. We saw a special screening of it at our theater a couple months back. Great experience.

#noface