Any NBA Basketball fans?

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Zach(k?) Lowe had a good read on espn. It leans Jordan. Extensive detail and stat breakdown. All things even, he boils it down to the Dallas Finals where LeBron shrunk and the Spurs Finals where they got smoked.

I don’t fault anyone for voting LeBron. I would rather be in a foxhole with MJ.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Yes, I agree and thought it was great too. I would like to know more on this topic. Thank you for your comments!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Some coaching changes...

Clippers got Ty Lue
Sixers got Doc Rivers
Nets got Steve Nash
Bulls got Billy Donovan

Houston is said to be going after Jeff Van Gundy (there goes the best analyst on TV)
Indiana needs a head coach.. Not a place most wanna go.

I don't know if the Doc Rivers hiring will help me cement my thoughts on whether there is a problem in Philly or a problem with Doc Rivers....

I don't know if the Doc Rivers hiring will help me cement my thoughts on whether there is a problem in Philly or a problem with Doc Rivers....
I think Joel is the problem.. He's lazy, does more "work" on a silly phone than on the court. He's out of shape a lot, doesn't dominate in the post like he's able. The guy is so talented, but add all that, and injuries... I would keep Ben Simmons. But I also think losing Butler was a huge loss. I remember Tobias very well, and I was never big on him, and Butler is a guy who is not only a great defender, but someone who can score when you need a bucket - has a similar game and moves as Kahwi (just smaller).

I don’t think this is what it feels like to be a Knicks fan, but I’m starting to get James Dolan feels about Michael Jordan.

Gordon Hayward. This sucks bad maan. 4 years of a snake-bit player at that money. Of course, we have to overpay to get anyone to come here, but sheesh.

Then throw in the Ball brother. It’s weird to hear people talk about him, great playmaker, but... If you can’t play D and 3 in this league, no thanks. Watch somebody like Halliburton be the perennial Allstar from this draft and we’re debating whether or not this guy is worth an extension.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are jumping the gun on thinking Charlotte is the next big thing. I do wish the Pacers could have sealed the deal with Hayward though.

I can fuel blind optimism by lottery picks every year, but sinking 4 years of money on a contract you will likely never be able to move....I would rather suck with hope, than suck with clouds on the horizon.

Even contracts like Chris Paul are moveable, because of the performance. Hayward has shown no signs he will ever be the "reckless abandon/rim-runner" guy that he was at the peak of his powers.

Hayward is a very good all around player but nobody is winning anything if he's your best, or even second best player. I also think he's a little soft, and that has nothing to do with the injury issues. Ball is serious bust potential but we'll see. I think they should trade Rozier while he still has decent value. Really, the only players I like on their team are Bridges, Washington, and the underachieving Monk, who at least has potential if he can put it together. I don't see them making the playoffs any time soon.

Love the signings of Thompson and Teague by Boston. They instantly get deeper, tougher, and more experienced. I could still see them going after a power forward to take Hayward's spot so they can continue to bring Smart off the bench. They should target Markennan. Maybe Theis, Edwards, and a 1st gets it done.

MJ has made many dumb moves, but signing an injury prone role player for 120 million might be the dumbest yet.

Tristian Thompson only plays well in contract years. Teague is solid, experienced, decent at everything, just not great.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are jumping the gun on thinking Charlotte is the next big thing. I do wish the Pacers could have sealed the deal with Hayward though.

Dwight Howard, Seth Curry and Denny Green to the 76ers is interesting. This is Ben's make it or break it season.

My early predictions

#1 - Lakers
#2 - Dallas
#3 - Clippers
#4 - Suns
#5 - Nuggets
#6 - Jazz
#7 - Trailblazers
#8 - Warriors

#1 - Boston
#2 - Miami
#3 - Brooklyn

#4 - Milwaukee
#5 - Philadelphia
#6 - Atlanta

#7 -Toronto
#8 - Indiana

Predictions -

James Harden gets "injured", Houston misses the playoffs
Tre Young hits 80pts in a game
Milwaukee gets upset in the first rd to the 76ers, Giannis leaves

MVP - Luka Doncic

ROY - Obi Toppin
Lakers over Celtics 4-2

MJ has made many dumb moves, but signing an injury prone role player for 120 million might be the dumbest yet.

Tristian Thompson only plays well in contract years. Teague is solid, experienced, decent at everything, just not great.
Why do you say that? Statistically speaking he's been very consistent throughout his career.

Why do you say that? Statistically speaking he's been very consistent throughout his career.

I've never looked at his statistics, but guess he's a near double-double guy. I remember him playing very hard in his last contract year, and even holding out until he got paid big bucks, and then played for numbers, and never elevated his game, and seemed disgruntled or disinterested. Probably missing more games than he should have (ala Kyrie Irving - another overrated player who Boston was better without completely). He played 400 straight games and since he's missed a ton. He'll get numbers and in some games (I remember one against the Pistons) playing great, but again, more me-first after he got paid, which is a habit some guys have. I think he missed pre-season games with the Cavs and playing for the Canadian National Team, until Lebron tweeted something like "Pay the man!" and got his numbers while his team has lost like crazy the past few seasons. Last year oddly enough, the Cavs get Andre Drummond (even more maturity/engine problems), already had Kevin Love, but played a lot probably because of Kevin's history of injury.. The contract is exactly the one Montrez Harrell got, who is a fine young player who puts it all on the floor. Then again, Meyers Leonard got more money and barely played in the playoffs for Miami, and only got a few minutes because Bam (and others) were out.

There has been this obsession with statistics lately, and casual fans (I know many) just look at box scores, and in arguments only use numbers and awards.. There's a TON of things that don't show up on the stats sheet, and I just go by the eye test. On the ball, off the court.... on the court, and off the court.

I was going to say "Maybe going to a winning team might help", but he won a title with the Cavs, and never really improved. I'm looking now at his stats, and he actually shot under 50% from the FT line for an entire season after getting his big 80 million dollar contract, which was a lot back then in comparison to the inflation after the last CBA.

I've never looked at his statistics, but guess he's a near double-double guy. I remember him playing very hard in his last contract year, and even holding out until he got paid big bucks, and then played for numbers, and never elevated his game, and seemed disgruntled or disinterested. Probably missing more games than he should have (ala Kyrie Irving - another overrated player who Boston was better without completely). He played 400 straight games and since he's missed a ton. He'll get numbers and in some games (I remember one against the Pistons) playing great, but again, more me-first after he got paid, which is a habit some guys have. I think he missed pre-season games with the Cavs and playing for the Canadian National Team, until Lebron tweeted something like "Pay the man!" and got his numbers while his team has lost like crazy the past few seasons. Last year oddly enough, the Cavs get Andre Drummond (even more maturity/engine problems), already had Kevin Love, but played a lot probably because of Kevin's history of injury.. The contract is exactly the one Montrez Harrell got, who is a fine young player who puts it all on the floor. Then again, Meyers Leonard got more money and barely played in the playoffs for Miami, and only got a few minutes because Bam (and others) were out.

There has been this obsession with statistics lately, and casual fans (I know many) just look at box scores, and in arguments only use numbers and awards.. There's a TON of things that don't show up on the stats sheet, and I just go by the eye test. On the ball, off the court.... on the court, and off the court.

I was going to say "Maybe going to a winning team might help", but he won a title with the Cavs, and never really improved. I'm looking now at his stats, and he actually shot under 50% from the FT line for an entire season after getting his big 80 million dollar contract, which was a lot back then in comparison to the inflation after the last CBA.
I mentioned the stats because I wasn't sure how often you've seen him play. He always kills Boston and seems to be known as an effort player. Even the media in Cleveland has called him the heart and soul of the team. It's not like he has signed a new contract every 2 years, which is why I didn't understand your point of only playing well in contract years. He's coming off a 5 year contract which went from 2015-2019. Lebron tweeted that in 2014 because clearly he wanted Thompson on the team. His scoring average was its lowest from 2014 (contract year) to 2017, not coincidentally the same years Lebron was in Cleveland. Not that he's a guy you count on for scoring anyway, but rather for toughness and rebounding which is what Boston needs. I initially wanted Myles Turner because I thought it was more doable, but I'm not sure that Thompson isn't the better player. Turner blocks shots but is otherwise a mediocre defender. He's also a mediocre shooter and rebounder. He has good size and skill but it really hasn't translated yet.

The Rockets are just a huge ****show right now

I hope the virus shuts down the season and Orlando is named champion because they are 1-0 lol. I'll never see my magic win a championship. :-(

Side note I saw Adam Silver say they are considering expansion. Figures after all the money they lost last season. 2 expansion teams would cause 2 expansion fees worth billions that gets spread out to each team. The good news is they can rectify the situation in Seattle and bring back the Sonics. What a dumb decision that was. They were always my West squad. Hopefully they get a team back very soon.

Where do you think the second team goes in? My guess would be Vegas. Probably dying to get in that market. I know the Raptors are playing in Tampa right now but I can't see them putting in a team in Tampa...too close to Orlando market. Maybe Louisville. Vancouver again? Heard whispers of Mexico City...can't see NBA players flocking there.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Louisville or Vegas seems like a good pick. Hell, why not put another team in Chicago.