Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You haven't seen any X-Men movies, Rules?
Nope, but I finally watched Robocop

Seriously?! You've never seen any movies with Hugh Jackman?
Nope not a one. Of the ones you listed, here's my thoughts:

Kate & Leopold, sounds kind of interesting, but I'm luke warm on it.

The Prestige, (Two stage magicians engage in competitive one-upmanship in an attempt to create the ultimate stage illusion.) That sounds totally cool! I will add that to my watch list, thanks

Real Steel, I don't think so.

Les Misérables. I love movies based on classic literature and try to watch all the various versions of them. But so far I've never seen a film based on Les Misérables, one of these days I will get around to this.

Thanks for the recommendations. You guys always give me great movie ideas.

I'll second The Prestige as well.

And I'm sure you'll have fun watching all the old Airport flicks. With the disaster flicks Poseidon Adventure was my favorite followed by Towering Inferno
Ed hi! you snuck in while I was taking a looong time to type my reply. Thanks for the thumbs up on The Prestige, when I just now read about it at IMDB, I thought: OK I have got to see this one. It sounds cool.

Poseidon Adventure was my favorite followed by Towering Inferno

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Nope not a one. Of the ones you listed, here's my thoughts:

Kate & Leopold, sounds kind of interesting but I'm luke warm on it.
This is one of my favorite rom-coms. (I'm watching it right now on Showtime. )

The Prestige, (Two stage magicians engage in competitive one-upmanship in an attempt to create the ultimate stage illusion.) That sounds totally cool! I will add that to my watch list, thanks
A great movie, but not my favorite of his movies.

Real Steel, I don't think so.
Trust me. Try this movie. I didn't think I would like it, but it's probably my favorite of his movies.

Les Misérables. I love movies based on classic literature and try to watch all the various versions of them. But so far I've never seen a film based on Les Misérables, one of these days I will get around to this.
This is the musical version, based on the Broadway show. Most of the cast is amazing. (Russell Crowe is the weak link.)

You could always join the 10th Hof when I host it and you could nominate one of those. Kate & Leopold sounds like a nice film. But I got this feeling I won't like Real Steal, but who knows?

Captain, guess what? I seen Airport 75 last night and liked it. I mean I really liked it.

It was exciting, it was fun, it had tons of big name stars and even some classic actors.....but the best part was it had all this odd unintentional humor in it. It just cracks me up just to think about it

You could always join the 10th Hof when I host it and you could nominate one of those. Kate & Leopold sounds like a nice film. But I got this feeling I won't like Real Steal, but who knows?
Don't just take my word for it. Read Rodent's review of Real Steel.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...10#post1444510

You could always join the 10th Hof when I host it and you could nominate one of those.
You're gonna have rules about no foreign films, no horror films, etc., right?

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
You could always join the 10th Hof when I host it and you could nominate one of those.
You're gonna have rules about no foreign films, no horror films, etc., right?
Ha I know you're just kidding!....but if anyone is reading this, all films will be allowed same as the 9th Hof, 8th Hof, 7th Hof, etc. I will honor the traditional way of doing the main Hofs. In the 8th Hof we had lots of great films! I haven't started watching any for the 9th, but they look good too.

Ha I know you're just kidding!....but if anyone is reading this, all films will be allowed same as the 9th Hof, 8th Hof, 7th Hof, etc. I will honor the tradional way of doing the main Hofs! In the 8th Hof we got lots of good films! I haven't started watching any for the 9th, but they look good.
Yeah, I was just kidding, but I can dream, can't I?

BTW, did you get my PM about the song tournament?

Yes I did, I'm downloading a movie and I can't click on any link until it's done...but it's say 5 minutes to complete. Then I will PM with the info.
Okay, thanks.

We're still waiting for Mistique to fix a link too, so you have time.

Ex Machina (2015)
Director: Alex Garland
Writer: Alex Garland
Cast: Alicia Vikander, Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac
Genre: Drama, Mystery, Romance
Indie Film

Synopsis (spoiler free):
Caleb a young programmer wiz wins a competition at his internet company to spend one week at a remote mountain retreat belonging to the CEO of the company he works for. He finds Nathan, the reclusive CEO to be an enigmatic genius with a dark side. Caleb then finds he's the crucial element in a ground breaking experiment in artificial intelligence. Enter Ava, who's the beautiful and very human like machine. Ava's self awareness is being tested.

Oscar Isaac, Alicia Vikander and Domhnall Gleeson make up the primary cast.

Ex Machina
is not at all a sci-fi film in the typical sense. Oh sure that poster looks as sci fi as you can get but the film's focus is on drama, mystery and even romance....It focuses on three individuals who are alone in a remote country setting. But beyond that this is an existential film that explores what it means to be a human and and what it means to be sentient. A story about when is it wrong to treat a creation as property.

The film requires that the viewer cares about the A.I. creation 'Ava' and feels for her plight. If you only view her as an 'it', or as a machine then the movie failed. But I bet anyone who watches this will care about Ava and view her as alive. I did

Ex Machina is an intimately shot, Indie film. It takes a close up look at three people with a minimum of outside influences. This allows the film to focus on the implications of creating a sentient A.I. machine.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTO-EX_MACHINA-End-thumb-724x990-55043.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	24135  

Exactly. That's not to say both stories are the same, but yes they do have a lot of similarities.

BTW I think Ex Machina has the coolest poster for any 2015 movie, just something to keep in mind for the 2015 Mofo Film Awards - Nominations

Exactly. That's not to say both stories are the same, but yes they do have a lot of similarities.

BTW I think Ex Machina has the coolest poster for any 2015 movie, just something to keep in mind for the 2015 Mofo Film Awards - Nominations

So if I love the original Star Trek episode "Requiem for Methuselah", do you think I would like the movie Ex Machina?

Hmm....I don't know? and you might think I would after talking all this time. So my best guess is you won't really like it, but you won't be opposed to. I don't think it's totally you're type of film and with a girl robot, it's more like a guy film. But I really don't know?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yeah, but she recently liked Affliction and Mikey and Nicky, two "guy" flicks I thought she wouldn't like.