Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Flora (2017, Sasha Louis Vukovic)

movies can be okay...
It's been a while since I posted here, or just about anywhere on the internet really. That's what engineering school does to a person. I'm always lurking though. Anyways, here are my thoughts on the last few films I've seen:

Eighth Grade by Bo Burnham -

I liked this quite a lot, but can we please stop with the whole "No, this year's coming of age film is the truest and realest out of the rest that came before". It's becoming a trope now, a really annoying trope. Even though I seem to like a year's coming of age film more than the one that preceded it, I still don't think enough originality or emotions are brought to the table. Maybe it's because of something in the air making film-makers think only girls come out of age, which might be why I struggle to be totally as invested as the norm are by this genre. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a coming of age film from a boy's perspective. Anyways, Eighth Grade does indeed delve deeper than most of its kind, but it still leaves a bit to be desired, especially film-making wise.

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant by Rainer Werner Fassbinder -

Two words: meticulous film-making! It's about darn time that I've loved one of Fassbinder's films, and the tale of Petra von Kant is nothing short of a masterpiece. The film-making alone is absurdly impressive. Every second and frame is calculated. The characters are immensely interesting and complexe ( I honestly struggle to think of a character as complexe and compelling as Petra). The subtle and not so subtle emotions that come out of them all have a powerful impact. And Fassbinder finally does about everything that could hook me into a film.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

This might just do nobody any good.
Bad Times at the El Royale

Ranks highly in the pantheon of Tarantino-wannabes that includes 2 Days in the Valley and Smokin’ Aces.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant by Rainer Werner Fassbinder -

Two words: meticulous film-making! It's about darn time that I've loved one of Fassbinder's films, and the tale of Petra von Kant is nothing short of a masterpiece. The film-making alone is absurdly impressive. Every second and frame is calculated. The characters are immensely interesting and complexe ( I honestly struggle to think of a character as complexe and compelling as Petra). The subtle and not so subtle emotions that come out of them all have a powerful impact. And Fassbinder finally does about everything that could hook me into a film.
Have you (or anyone else) seen "Whity"? It's my favorite of Fassbinder, who seems to get an average of about 7/10 (15 movies), but this movie is real good.

movies can be okay...
Have you (or anyone else) seen "Whity"? It's my favorite of Fassbinder, who seems to get an average of about 7/10 (15 movies), but this movie is real good.
I've only seen 5 films of his, and that's not one of them. It's now on my watchlist.

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The Sisters Brothers (2018)

I don't think he'll be shootin' any more dopes with that arm.

Directed and Written by Woody Allen
Principle actors are listed in photo above

One thread ask "What film turned you on to movies". This is the one that did it for me. My father was a pastor in a conservative Christian denomination that did not allow its members to watch movies, so when I went to college I was rather new to watching movies. This film came about seven years later, and I was hooked. I thought it was funny, I thought it was suspenseful, I thought the acting was well done. It was fun to watch, and I was hooked immediately. At the time I was interested a great deal in the writings of Camus (existentialist) and Woody's humor was right on the mark for me. It also let m e realize that movies are an art form as well as a source of entertainment.

Summary and critique: The film centers around a New York family, particularly about the relationship of the three sisters. Hannah is married to an accountant, Holly is an aspiring actress with a drug problem, and Lee seems to be a perpetual student who is living with here aged professor-boyfriend. The film spans a period of two years beginning and ending on Thanksgiving. The film centers around an affair between Hannah's husband and one of her sisters. The movie is well-balanced between drama and suspense. The acting is good, the story is great, and Woody does an excellent job as Mickey the TV executive who is learning to hate TV. As Woody has aged he has been passing the starring roles to others (who usually play some version of (Woody). I thought Michael Caine was the perfect stand in for Woody.

recommendation: I believe that this is perhaps Woody's most accessible film. Woody is an acquired taste, and I know some people don't like his films and what he has done with his personal life. If you want a great introduction to Woody, this is it. If you have seen other Woody Allen films, you need to see this one, because I (and many critics) think that this is Woody at his best. Recommended for all Allen fans who have not seen it, for those who enjoy absurd humor, and for those who want to give Woody Allen a try.

[Hanna and Her Sisters]

Summary and critique: The film centers around a New York family, particularly about the relationship of the three sisters. Hannah is married to an accountant, Holly is an aspiring actress with a drug problem, and Lee seems to be a perpetual student who is living with here aged professor-boyfriend. The film spans a period of two years beginning and ending on Thanksgiving. The film centers around an affair between Hannah's husband and one of her sisters. The movie is well-balanced between drama and suspense. The acting is good, the story is great, and Woody does an excellent job as Mickey the TV executive who is learning to hate TV. As Woody has aged he has been passing the starring roles to others (who usually play some version of (Woody). I thought Michael Caine was the perfect stand in for Woody.

recommendation: I believe that this is perhaps Woody's most accessible film. Woody is an acquired taste, and I know some people don't like his films and what he has done with his personal life. If you want a great introduction to Woody, this is it. If you have seen other Woody Allen films, you need to see this one, because I (and many critics) think that this is Woody at his best. Recommended for all Allen fans who have not seen it, for those who enjoy absurd humor, and for those who want to give Woody Allen a try.
An excellent selection, Diehl40; and a wonderful film for you to have been impressed with early on.

IMO, this is one of Allen's half-dozen or so masterpieces. The story was engaging right out of the chute, and the various story lines were all interesting, funny, and realistic.

I thought both Michael Caine and Max Von Sydow gave first rate fascinating performances. The sisters were all good, especially Diane Wiest.

I haven't re-watched the film in several years. I'll have to queue it up...

~Doc

I can't stop thinking about it, so I can't imagine how people in the sixties felt after leaving the cinema.

Sorry Doc.. I do not share your enthusiasm for 2001 ASO It was one of only two films on which I have ever walked out. The other was Zorba the Greek.

First Man(2018) is the next film up in the Oscar race of 2018(the great Oscar race so far). This is the story of Neil Armstrong and his journey to the moon, it is about 90% buildup and if you are familiar with the history then you are going to be in for a long night. Though really First Man is not really about Neil Armstrong it's about he director Damien Chazelle and the story he wants to tell. Whiplash his focus was on making a Cassavettes film, an intimate gritty character study to take an independent film from that era and elevate it. In La La Land his focus was on Jacques Demy French New Wave type of film. So what is First Man...it's a Terrence Mallick film, this was the long meditative visually stunning film. This is a historical period piece that is flowing with attempted authenticity.

Neil is basically a cypher which makes him such a difficult character to effectively play on the big screen. Gosling is good, this won't be a film we talk about at the end of his life but he does a commendable job with the material. The more interesting characters and stories are put on the periphery...the little we get from Aldrin is great and reminder of why Armstrong was in charge.

What hurts the film the most for me is Claire Foy as Janet Armstrong. Fans of Breaking Bad will recognize the Skyler archetype immediately, which is what makes the film so difficult to get through. We get a lot of shaky camera's in this one and the worst is during the fight between Neil and Janet. Visually this is one of the best films you'll see this year and it will likely show up in several Oscar categories but for me it's not a top ten film.

There's not so much to see here except yuasaa's trademark, beautiful, free fluid animation work, and some "old cartooney" gags that burst my laughter. The story and characters is quiet, underwhelmed-ly cliche, underdeveloped and also unnecessary. since this basically rehearse old formula over and over again i do hope for more proper craftmanship, in particular.

Nowadays it seems yuaasa is really, heavily influenced with yuusuke nakamura's artwork(post tatami galaxy character design), which is great thing.

First Reformed (2017)

A low-key film about duty and responsibilities that Ethan Hawke excels in. Schraeder is right on it here, mixing the mundane with the truly beautiful.

I loved this film. 9.5/10

(apologies if an older post appears, been having 'puter issues!!).