Doctor Who

Tools    

Humm very nice, had to look this guys music up and some of it is wonderful, they have chosen this man as the music composer of the new series.

https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola

Also, I couldn't help myself, did anyone watch the leaked footage from what looks like the first episode? It looked fabulous.

A teaser trailer. The 'sequence' that was shown during the World Cup final was very disappointing in my eyes so glad to see this one with actual shots from the new series:

Trailer 2, I've put up the UK release and Australian release because some have complained about the music track over the UK trailer feeling it spoils the trailer. The Australian release has an instrumental score over it instead.

UK:

Australian:

I haven't seen any of the trailers but I did read yesterday that there won't be any returning monsters or villains in this season. That's great; I think it's a direction that's long overdue.

^ Indeed. Was getting quite sick of seeing a lot of the creatures and aliens appear again and again, I was bored stiff with the cybermen. So was very happy to hear none of that will be returning!

^ Indeed. Was getting quite sick of seeing a lot of the creatures and aliens appear again and again, I was bored stiff with the cybermen. So was very happy to hear none of that will be returning!
Remember when a single Dalek was an extreme threat and heartless killing machine and the Doctor couldn't just waltz on in to a room full of 'em and talk to them for like 10 minutes without getting shot?

I do.

Ooh la la, I loved it! and how beautifully shot it is and the music! Slightly weak
WARNING: "doctorwho" spoilers below
'Predator
for children' style story line but I can't wait for the next episode. Brilliant start for me.

A lot find the new Doctor irritating for some reason, I didn't find her irritating at all and thought Jodie Whitaker was wonderful. And thankfully nice to see no dwelling on the fact the Doctor has gone from a male to female - just a few normal jokes about it.

I hope this continues.

^ That spoiler is just a name of a film that the episode reminded me of, just in case the people who haven't seen it don't want any idea of what the episode is going to be like.

Wasn't great imo but then the show has sadly been gradually going downhill for a number of years now imo.

I liked it very much. Better than Deep Breath and The Pilot for me easily. The show feels like a breath of fresh air. Or a freesh spray of breeze across the living room.

Slightly weak
WARNING: "doctorwho" spoilers below
'Predator
for children' style story line but I can't wait for the next episode. Brilliant start for me.
I won't be watching the series but I whizzed through it on iPlayer to see what they'd done with the title sequence and the theme music. Earlier in the day I read that there was no opening title sequence for the episode and this seemed to be the case. I can see why it had been dropped but I would have missed it. Funny enough the train scene is reminiscent of

WARNING: spoilers below
Predator 2 – and Highlander II for that matter

The closing title graphics and the new theme music are very traditional, which surprised me – no boundary-pushing there. I'll be looking at the opening titles next week.

Not interested in watching the new series?

As for the closing titles, apparently what was shown was a blurred sequence of what the opening is going to be? and no one knows exactly what part of the closing titles music is going to be used in the opening credits, I'm hoping for the part during the second half of the guest stars trailer, that sounded excellent. We will see next week anyway what they have actually done for the opening, I'm hoping more traditional because I wasn't keen on the Capaldi series opening titles and music. Really like the new composer so far in this series, there was a great bit of Doctor Who 'theme' in the train sequence when the Doctor is introduced.

Bit of the new theme I like starts from the Amita Suman guest introduction, about 46 seconds in.

Not interested in watching the new series?
No, that's it for me. Finished.

As for the closing titles, apparently what was shown was a blurred sequence of what the opening is going to be? and no one knows exactly what part of the closing titles music is going to be used in the opening credits,
Oh was it blurred? I just thought there was a shimmer to it on purpose.

I'm hoping more traditional because I wasn't keen on the Capaldi series opening titles and music.
I liked that it was a different idea – using clocks and the workings inside to promote that the series involves time travel. It could have been done better though – I didn't like the way the TARDIS looked and Capaldi's eyes coming in as a still photo looked shocking.

The music was eccentric but not in a good way – it sounded like a really poor fan theme (and there have been some cracking fan themes over the years). To me, Murray Gold was never able to do a wholly decent theme arrangement.

^ That's what the hardcore fans are saying anyway, blurred on purpose. Will see if they are right next week. They were awfully blurred compared to previous end credit sequences so it is possible it's just until episode 2.

Saw this today, an honest trailer of all the series since the revamp. Obviously contains spoilers of previous series.

Saw this today, an honest trailer of all the series since the revamp.
Did I make this !?

Nicely brutal and I agreed with a lot of it.

^ The opening credits according to critics who have seen the second episode are very psychedelic, like the Jon Pertwee era. Can't wait!
They were actually the weakest howlaround titles though weren't they? Not as much going on. I got the impression that colour didn't allow for the same kind of variety as black-and-white so maybe that's why Bernard Lodge did the slit-scan ones later. My favourite opening is actually his first go at that – the second Jon Pertwee title sequence. I love the way the elongated 'stars' come on at the beginning.

In fact they mention the word kaleidoscope in that writeup and that made me think back to the interview with Bernard Lodge on one of the DVDs. He said that if he was doing the titles now he might approach it thinking about the ways light bends and refracts, so they seem to be going in that sort of direction.

^ Loved the new opening credits but a bit disappointed they didn't use the part of the theme I liked, that is saved for the end credits. Still, looks beautiful.

The official youtube video below doesn't do it justice, doesn't seem to be as clear.

^ Loved the new opening credits but a bit disappointed they didn't use the part of the theme I liked, that is saved for the end credits. Still, looks beautiful.
Which part of the theme is that? I'm not sure that that pause between the opening bassline and the melody is a success there, and yet it does work okay in the end credits.

My favourite opening titles are still the ones below. Also I think the way they cut down the music (starting from 1970) to achieve shorter titles is still the best. Just trimming that bit of the opening bassline and getting straight to the "Who" part.

Which part of the theme is that?
The bit of music in the coming soon(guest stars) trailer a few posts up, starts from the Amita Suman actress, about 46 seconds in.