Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Hereditary -

in hindsight maybe I should've just re-watched one of the movies that inspired this

The Meg

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but I thought it would be a notch up from Big Ass Spider and perhaps as good as Deep Blue Sea... characters so one dimensional... Stathom is like a fish but you don't really know why he has these mad skills...his romance with a pretty Asian woman doesn't come off the page as take root on it.. never really got a feeling for the size of the meg apart from a few shots they used in the trailer to sell the film, rest of time its bumping into things, I turned it off with 20 minutes to go.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

: Some coming of age films are usually happy despite having some dramatic moments. This film for me brings a more realistic take on the coming of age film. Jodie Foster, Cherie Currie, Marilyn Kagan, and Kandice Stroh (with Scott Baio as a tagalong confidant) have this natural chemistry. Film debuts of Currie, Kagan, and Stroh, as well as Laura Dern who plays an annoying nerdy girl who is in one scene.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm trying to find the connection to Final Destination, and see he is an executive producer. Really reaching here.

Suspect's Reviews

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I'm trying to find the connection to Final Destination, and see he is an executive producer. Really reaching here.

Yeah, I just ignored that. The movie itself is actually pretty good.

Second viewing -

Snooze factor rating = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Weird is relative.

Second viewing -

Snooze factor rating = Zzz
I bought the DVD years ago but haven't seen it yet. Hmm.

I thought Adaptation was really well done and interesting. There must be a goldmine of movies I haven't seen because a film like Adaptation is so unique and goofy and well written and acted that for it to be kind of regarded as a macdowell's cheeseburger..I dunno. I've never seen anything like it but I may very well be drinking from the tap, unaware of the mountain spring.

I know - it's not a "good" movie, but I was enjoying it because I had absolutely zero expectations. I find that is the best way to get through a part III to something beloved. Hogan still delivers regardless of the cliche'd movie and cringe-worthy moments throughout. There are some nice bits. Some of it is bad, but it's not all bad.

The George Hamilton cameo was ridiculous.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (2018)

I'm not gonna offer much here since so many people have given their thoughts on it, and mine aren't much different. The plot is dumb. It has cool looking dinosaurs. It takes itself too seriously instead of just being fun.

What Keeps You Alive (2018) (Dir. Colin Minihan)

What a strange little film. There are literal (cat and mouse thriller) and allegorical sides (abusive relationships, trust), neither of which are air tight, but one picks up the slack when the other falters. It almost feels like a foreign film at times where you aren't sure if you're interpreting the tone correctly. This could easily be darkly comedic but never indulges that. It sounds like a mess the way I'm describing it, but it all comes off as very intentional and purposeful. It's an enigma with solid craft and thematic heft. I'm pretty sure I like it.

"I'm pretty sure I like it" is a great line.
I can be extremely interested in pieces of art I hate Sometimes it's hard to tell.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★
A very good message (if we can call it like that...). I'm sure this film will grow in me with time, just like Goodbye to Language.

★★
Oh man, what they have done?
The editing is terrible (just one of the many problems)...