The official MoFo boxing thread

Tools    

I'm not sure if there are many boxing fans here on MoFo, but figured this site needed a thread on boxing. It's my favourite sport to watch. I also like watching football, cycling, tennis and other combat sports (K1, MMA primarily) but none of those can hold a candle to my love for boxing.

It's basically a survival of the fittest. Unlike in football or cycling, you don't have anyone to rely on in that ring but yourself. To step into a ring and face another man who is trained to destroy you physically, is not something that is laid out for everyone. There are MUCH better ways of making a living where you don't end up risking permanent brain damage.

But to my mind, there is no purer sport than boxing. Boxing is not a game. You don't "play" boxing, unlike playing baseball, basketball or football. In the ring, there are no excuses, no teammates, no luck involved. You have to factor in so many variables while at the same time knowing yourself extremely well so that you can somehow get that win behind your name.

And it's extremely demanding of your body. I don't know if anyone here has ever spent time in a ring, but I guarantee you it takes a LOT out of you. You're constantly moving around while throwing punches and studying your opponent. You have to be in great shape to do 12 rounds of boxing at a high level. I doubt if there's any sport that is so physically demanding than boxing. Perhaps triathlon, but I'm not sure. To be a true great in boxing, you have to be in a superb condition.

Unfortunately, the sport of boxing itself is fading a bit. The Golden Era of boxing is long past and new combat sports are rising to the throne, most notably of course MMA. Boxing still has its big stars though. I'm sure many people that are interested in sports know who Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather and Wladimir Klitschko are. These guys are still selling out entire football stadiums while also being huge PPV draws. But below that top echelon of PPV draws, there is an increasingly big emptiness. We have few real stars left like Ali, Tyson, Sugar Ray Robinson, the Fab Four or Roy Jones Jr.

Still, that doesn't bother me too much. As long as I can still see the craft applied at the highest level, I am more than satisfied. And luckily, it is still on display today in all its glory...

Anyway, this thread is to discuss (future) fights and fighters of today and the past in general. Again, not sure if there will be much interest for this, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I love boxing. Been to a few big shows in my time, too, including one of my all-time heroes Barry McGuigan (best pressure fighter I ever saw) when I was a kid.

Barry (who turned 50, yikes!) is promoting a young Irish fighter called Carl Frampton at the moment. He looks like he could be a bit special in years to come.

Tatty, what do you think about the upcoming fight of Amir Khan vs Maidana?

I think it's going to be a close fight. It could be seen as the traditional boxer vs puncher match-up, but I'm not too sure about that, because Maidana is tenacious and tough and can keep coming forward and he only has to catch Khan once properly with that right of his and it'll be lights out, because Khan's chin isn't all that.

Khan however has to be the favourite in this fight. He has the technical skills and speed to beat Maidana. He has to fight behind the jab, put on his dancing shoes and be disciplined for the entire 12 rounds. He can definitely outbox Maidana, but he will have to fight a perfect fight or it's gonna hurt badly. I don't see him stopping Maidana. I don't think he has the punch to do that. If he does, I'd rate him higher than Bradley and Alexander, but I don't see that happening.

I'm pretty excited for this fight. We'll see what Khan is really made of. Is he just another belt holder or a potential superstar? I already know that he can box, but how good can he really be?

Anyway: Khan by UD.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Khan looked to be special when he was an amateur - You don't win Olympic silver at 17 (only losing to an all-time great) if you're a mug - but everyone was shocked by how chinny he was as a pro.

To be honest, I think a lot of this was down to a fundamental lack of technique which meant he was wide open far more than he should have been and Amir seems to have tightened this up since switching trainers and promoters.

If he gets caught flush by Maidana he's in big trouble, it's just a case of whether he has matured enough to cut the chance of him being left open to a minimum.

I really can't pick a winner here - If Kahn wins he's well on the way to becoming a world great but there are gonna always be people knocking the lad in Britain. I wonder if he'd get an easier ride if he was white, or at the very least a non-Muslim?

After a pretty bad 2010 in terms of awesome fights, the final 2 months of the year offer a number of high-profile bouts that I'm looking forward to.

There's obviously Manny Pacquiao vs Antonio Margacheato. I hope Pacquiao knocks his lights out. I have very little doubt that Pacquiao will put on another impressive performance. Speed affects Margarito's output a lot. Remember Clottey and Mosley. Clottey stunned him at some point during their fight and Mosley put on a hall-of-fame annihilation.

Some are now arguing that Cotto landed punches almost at will on Margarito and he still kept coming. True, but Cotto didn't have the cardio or footwork to keep it up. Pacquiao does. + Pacquiao is quicker with his feet than Mosley and more active with his hands. And Pacquiao's doesn't hit like a pussy. This is going to be a straight raping.

Then there's the fight I'm looking forward to the most: Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams. The first fight was a razor thin win for Williams, although I scored it a draw. Martinez is my favourite fighter of the moment. He is just an awesome counterpuncher with great lateral movement and speed. The first fight with Williams he accepted on short notice. He will be better prepared this time + he has more in his toolbox than Williams. I just hope he doesn't gas. He tends to take rounds off because of it. Just really hope he wins this by UD. If he does, he's my fighter of the year.

There's also Juan-Manuel Marquez vs Katsidis. JMM should win this comfortably. He's one of the smartest fighters of the past 20 years imo. Katsidis is in over his head.

Then there's the 3rd round of the Super Six Boxing Classic with Abraham vs Froch and Ward vs. Dirrell. I have no particular love for any of these guys. Abraham-Froch should be a good match. I think Abraham will KO Froch. At least, that's what I'm hoping. Ward vs. Dirrell, I don't really care for. I think Ward takes it by UD

There's the showdown between Khan and Maidana that I've already discussed above.

And then finally, Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins will square off. There's no doubt that Hopkins is one of the best defensive boxers of the past 20 years and the master of dirty boxing. I don't particularly like his style, but there's no denying his greatness. The man is 45 and he is still a force to be reckoned with. If he beats Pascal, we might see him pop up in the P4P ranking.

What do you guys think? Predictions, discussion?? Let's hear it!

There are MUCH better ways of making a living where you don't end up risking permanent brain damage.
I had a brain injury 12 years ago and 1 year ago. The first time it wasn't that bad, though my cognitive behaviour was affected.

Mayweather - Cotto coming up tonight. Whatever people say of the fight, Cotto is a good opponent for Floyd. His best fight since JMM imo. I don't see Cotto winning, but he could have some success early on before Floyd inevitably adapts and starts robbing his opponent of his will to win.

There's something about watching Floyd apply his craft. Imo, he is the best defensive fighter I've ever watched, save for Pernell Whitaker. He could win fights using only his right hand, that's how good it is, especially that lead straight hand he throws. As much as I love JMM and Martinez, in terms of actual total package skill, they don't hold a candle to Mayweather. And that's saying something, considering JMM is up there with the all time great combination counterpunchers with some of the best mid-fight adaptability of the past 30 years.

I know it's a joke, PR stunt of a bout, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Haye and Chisora to fight at Upton Park
Heavyweight boxers David Haye and Dereck Chisora will meet in the ring on July 14 at Upton Park just months after they brawled in Germany.

Neither boxer currently holds a British boxing licence: Chisora was stripped of his after losing his title bout with Vitali Klitschko and subsequently clashing with Haye at the post-fight press conference, while Haye had announced his retirement after defeat to Wladimir Klitschko last summer and relinquished his licence accordingly.

Promoter Frank Warren has bypassed the British Boxing Board of Control, however, and the fight in London will be sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation.

“Before anyone starts screaming," Warren told The Sun, "let me point out the Luxembourg boxing association was formed in 1922, seven years before the British Board.

“They have given their approval for the bout and it will go on at Upton Park under their jurisdiction.

“As fully fledged members of the European Boxing Union, that is what they are entitled to do."

Warren is set to formally confirm the details of the fight at a press conference at 12:30.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080520...pton-park.html

Nice, two of the sport's biggest dicks fighting each other. In one corner you have the biggest HW joke since John Ruiz and in the other one you have a fat bastard.

Matchup wise, Chisora could take this if he shows up in shape and willing to go to war. Haye is a total potshotter. Guy has a ***** jab, ***** lateral movement, rubbish gas tank. Chisora has a cast iron chin, Haye's shots shouldn't worry him.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Guys, don't let this thread die!

I love boxing and this weekend has a good feast in Maidana v Lopez and the likes of DeGale and Eubank Jr are also in action. Dawson is fighting Stevenson and I don't like either fighter but Dawson is still the number one light heavyweight on the planet so I'll give that fight a go too!

Right here, brother!

Maidana - Lopez is a potential FOTY candidate. I think they're going to go to town on each other. Difference is imo that Maidana has gotten a better fighter since losing to Alexander, whereas Lopez is the same guy. Maidana's concussive power combined with some newly found boxing tricks will get him a W tonight I think. I put € 10 on him to KO Lopez from round 9 on, at 25-1 each round.

In spite of getting destroyed by Ward, Dawson is a smart fighter. He just encountered an even smart guy and was weight-drained from what I heard. I think he'll decision Stevenson, with some uninspiring rounds in the middle, because that's just who Dawson is.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Right here, brother!

Maidana - Lopez is a potential FOTY candidate. I think they're going to go to town on each other. Difference is imo that Maidana has gotten a better fighter since losing to Alexander, whereas Lopez is the same guy. Maidana's concussive power combined with some newly found boxing tricks will get him a W tonight I think. I put € 10 on him to KO Lopez from round 9 on, at 25-1 each round.

In spite of getting destroyed by Ward, Dawson is a smart fighter. He just encountered an even smart guy and was weight-drained from what I heard. I think he'll decision Stevenson, with some uninspiring rounds in the middle, because that's just who Dawson is.
Man was that Dawson fight a stunner!! The LHW division is wide open now, imagine Steven v Pascal/Kovalev/Hopkins/Cleverly...wow

Oh and Lopez/Maidana was great, not quite living up to the best fights this year but a good solid war none the less.

Let the night air cool you off
Didn't know this thread existed... We have some P4P top ten guys fighting this month. I am somewhat excited to see Juan Marquel Marquez and Timothy Bradley go at it on the 12th. And a week before that Wladimir Klitschko will probably romp Alexander Povetkin.

Ah, a fellow pugilistic lover. Great stuff.

JMM is my favourite fighter for the past two decades, but Tim Bradley is no joke. It's a hard fight to win for Dynamita. Bradley rushes in and out, is bull strong, good stamina, has a never say die mentality and is defensively proficient. That's a tough task for anyone. I'm kinda hoping for Bradley to follow his instinct and want to retaliate when he gets hit and get countered into destruction. We'll see.

Wlad will smash Povetkin. Wide UD or late KO.

Let the night air cool you off
Yeah, I finally have HBO and all those other similar channels so I can (legally) watch these fights. Wlad's fight is probably a throw away, but if JMM and Timothy Bradley should be a really good fight. I am legitimately excited about that one.