No Man's Sky

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Think I will check this out on Xbox, or is it better to get on PC?

Just watched a gameplay vid, looks like minecraft in space is that about right?

What are people's thoughts on the game? Worth getting?

What is it?

there's a frog in my snake oil
Think I will check this out on Xbox, or is it better to get on PC?

Just watched a gameplay vid, looks like minecraft in space is that about right?

What are people's thoughts on the game? Worth getting?

What is it?
PC apparently looks a lot swisher & performs better.

I haven't played it in 2 major updates, but yeah it's a survival / mining / crafting kinda space exploration game, although with the emphasis a bit more on survival & mining, crafting isn't exactly creative or anything. (You can play in peaceful / sandbox mode too & just explore etc).

Main selling point is its enormous proc gen day-glo universe complete with weird proc gen animals. Main downsides are that too . It's stupidly open and un-ending, although there is something of a story to follow these days apparently. Also multicrew. And basic vehicles including spaceships. And giant bases to build and executive ships to own etc

Tatty can probably fill you in better on the current flavour of the game

---

My guess is it's still... this....

I will approach all planets with trepidation now...

& this

I am at peak mindless hype! This will be me tonight, this will be meeee!

(PS, it's not that hypey . It does have some cool stuff though ).

The People's Republic of Clogher
@gandalf26 - I have it on PS4 (and PC now) and it plays fine, just at a lower framerate than the PC. I'd expect the Xbox version to be similar.

The game's an awful lot better now than it was initially and I'd unreservedly recommend it to anyone who realises that it's an exploration/survival/crafting game at heart. It's even got a build mode where you start off with all blueprints and the survival stuff turned off.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
As decent as the game might be, it will never earn a good reputation again.

Suspect's Reviews

Dunno about that. There's been good press already and the Steam reviews have pulled the game up from Mostly Negative to Mixed in a day - 84% positive since the patch.

There'll still be some continuing to moan, but the less said about those weirdos the better. Time to get a new hobby, lads.

Look at Bioware/EA after the Mass Effect Andromeda clusterflook - they took the money and ran, stopping all development of the game - compared to Hello Games. NMS will never be a game of the year contender for me but props to the devs for sticking it out and fixing what was wrong.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Awesome cheers for the info. 2 days off now so will check it out

Got a response from the modder

Hi, there's not much to say yet; other than that on NEXT there were new files added for the pipelines. One of them is simply the Xbox One pipelines, another is simply one for the VR.

Sean's cloud tech was also already in the files pre-NEXT and was idling there unfinished. So, who knows what we might see! :P
I don't really know what that means... (Actual code? Just some folders named 'VR'?). But I'm going to take it as promising

(Worth remembering that the vehicle discoveries panned out, as well as the cloud tech he mentioned, even if they sound like they were more realised).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dunno about that. There's been good press already and the Steam reviews have pulled the game up from Mostly Negative to Mixed in a day - 84% positive since the patch.

There'll still be some continuing to moan, but the less said about those weirdos the better. Time to get a new hobby, lads.

Look at Bioware/EA after the Mass Effect Andromeda clusterflook - they took the money and ran, stopping all development of the game - compared to Hello Games. NMS will never be a game of the year contender for me but props to the devs for sticking it out and fixing what was wrong.
Oh I know that the loyalists and maybe some hardcore gamers will stick by it, as evidence in the score being brought up, but it won't reach the heights it was at BEFORE launch. I know a lot of people that were burned by the game and won't give it another chance. Then there are those who won't even try.

I'm sure it's good now, but unless it's a PSplus monthly game, I'll probably pass.

I certainly wasn't a loyalist, in fact I pretty much hated the game (after giving it a good 20 hour chance) and deleted it. Most of the people I know playing it again now felt the same.

Yeah the jump to 'mixed' in the all time reviews section does suggest that a lot of old purchasers flipped their review from neg to pos. (Don't reckon 2k new reviews coulda flipped an 83k total etc, even if they were all positive).

But sure, it'll never hit the hype of the launch days. Coz that hype was bat****

Plz go here and say you would like VR in NMS. Bless your hearts

(If it helps here is my minor rapture meltdown on Reddit...)

Thisthisthis. Would be such a great fit

Giant dino-beasts properly towering above you as they hove round a hill, cave spelunking feeling properly claustrophobic (whatsthatscuttling behind me?! ~spin and fire wildly~). Freaking jetpacks. Buzzing capital ships. Scale scale scale...

Yes please HG

(UI can be done, and I'm happy to take a graphics hit to get the frames )

Bumping because they just came out with another big update, and I notice while overall Steam reviews are "Mixed" the recent ones are "Very Positive." I bought this on sale for $30 (which is what it's on sale for now) back in July, but haven't played it yet. Good enough to start digging in?

Bumping because they just came out with another big update, and I notice while overall Steam reviews are "Mixed" the recent ones are "Very Positive." I bought this on sale for $30 (which is what it's on sale for now) back in July, but haven't played it yet. Good enough to start digging in?
Totally. I'm still logging in a few hours every week.

The game's still a survival crafting collectathon but it's an order of magnitude slicker than it was at launch.

I'd definitely look into a few mods though, especially ones which speed up scanning or lessen the fuel you need to get around planets. Unfortunately each big update renders a lot of mods useless so it's worth searching the Nexus regularly for updates.

Good stuff. I'm still pumping time into Fallout 76 and obsessively exploring, but it feels like there's a really good chance I'm going to scale down or stop entirely once I've satisfied my curiosity about the locations and stuff. I already shy away from more stressful games, and the live version of it I can't pause or slow down with VATS, and some problems with awareness and audio, kinda wipes me out after an hour or two. Just makes me paranoid. So I'm very much looking for something chiller that scratches some of the same itches, and No Man's Sky sounds like a really good alternative!

Yep, it's super chill. Even the new multiplayer stuff isn't all griefing - I had one guy a few days ago who joined my session and gave me 75,000,000 space bucks, before waving and disappearing somewhere else.

The only stressful part is your initial planet - I'm sure the game has algorithms to smooth out the tutorial section but you can still end up on a hostile world with your meters ticking down and no real clue what to do. Best advice is just to start again.

Just gonna cross-post my first foray into this from the Videogames Tab:

Okay, played for a couple of hours today. Had to start a second game because I didn't follow that I had to be out of the ship and bring up another menu to build something I needed to proceed. I had to use Google a couple of times to make sure I had the right idea, which isn't great.

That said, the moments of revelation are pretty cool, and I like the progression so far. I'm on the second planet and just got my base plans (I'm guessing the general steps I've followed are pretty similar with each new playthrough, with just the specific worlds/hazards/building elements changed semi-randomly). Enjoying myself so far, but I do hope at some point I manage to get enough of a foothold than I can skip around and explore with a lot less concern for life support and various meters running out too quickly. Feels like survival more than exploration so far.

Promising start, though, if that happens. Even though I didn't play it at all until now I can already tell they've polished it up pretty nicely from the original version.
Will try to remember to post other thoughts in this thread.

Thread lives!

---

Best guess for the 'Summer' Beyond update: August sometime, around the previous release date [Aug 12th].

(At which point I hope to VR romp with y'all )

To celebrate, here's the best thing in the thread to date:

I will approach all planets with trepidation now...