Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Tools    

My bladder exploded after watching this movie. Too much coke.

Coke is a helluva...soda

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Like organ music? It got a little intense in IMAX with the volume to 11. I kept thinking Fatboy Slim's "Right here, Right know" was getting ready to start.

The science and whys and hows were hard for me to follow, but I generally can't process stuff unless I'm reading it. Being lost on why, removed me from the story and lessened my experience. The uncredited cameos were a surprise, especially Dr. Mann...F U Mann. I don't care for that actor in general and this role exacerbated the feeling.

The bright spot for me was the "matching rpm" attempt. This was the most intense, white-knuckled, leg shaking, nail-biting scene I have experienced in recent memory.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I'll probably be on my own here but I wasn't all that impressed . I thought the movie was way to long with a very slow moving story that makes you lose interest every now and again. Ime a fan of most of Nolans movies but this wasn't for me, and the movie probably gets over praised because it Christopher Nolan.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
I'll probably be on my own here but I wasn't all that impressed . I thought the movie was way to long with a very slow moving story that makes you lose interest every now and again. Ime a fan of most of Nolans movies but this wasn't for me, and the movie probably gets over praised because it Christopher Nolan.
Yeah, definitely didn't enjoy as much as his other stuff, mostly because it took like an hour to really pick up speed. But when it did, it REALLY did, in my opinion.

My initial impression of the movie ; maybe I will expand it into a full scale review later ---

Phew !! I had to travel a long way to see this movie ; it being a sunday , all theaters in Bombay were booked and it was not easy to get tickets.....But I finally got to see it in IMAX form in a multiplex at considerable distance from where I live .

To be honest only some astronomer can tell whether all the science fiction shown in the film can come close to truth in reality .
And frankly I could not fully comprehend some of it .

But one has to give credit to Nolan for undertaking a truly grand science fiction adventure , and showing it with some nice special effects .

It's not a regular thriller at all....but one which relies on the incredible scope of the undertaking ( travel through space in double quick time to find a habitable planet in another galaxy ) to awe us , rather than rely on giving thrills and shocks every few moments like other thrillers .

....And it does awe us , for the scenes like the visuals of black hole and the ride through the event horizon are the stuff that astronomer's fantasies are made of . And that's why---a little bit of basic reading of astronomy , if done in the past , will come mightily handful in watching the movie .

Photography of the movie cannot be called fantastic ; I have certainly seen better efforts...
But some scenes , like the tsunami in the sea on the new planet are breathtakingly photographed , or rather created by the special effects team---for no one has really traveled to distant galaxies to film anything there .
Music of the movie does inspire you however .
Acting in the film can be called good .

Maybe the movie relies too much on that fragile emotion called love to propel the story forward , or maybe that's the director's way of keeping the audience interested in the midst of all the advanced science fiction . Some gadgets , like the robot which talked and joked besides walking and leaping and calculating faster than humans ( did the robot even wink in one scene ? ), were nice . The idea of fixing the robot's parameters like honesty and humor etc to a certain percentage was funny and likable .

The ending of the movie was a nice touch ; did it hint at an impending romance ??

Was the bad guy in the film really a bad guy , or was driven to badness by force of circumstances---just like the American soldiers of FURY ??

Once more Christopher Nolan has given us a cerebral thriller , which makes other movies that rely on special effects look shallow in front of it . But has he exceeded his intellectual reach beyond what the audience can fully understand and digest ??

Verdict---Good enough .

I know no one reads the words I type, but I knew there'd be lots of people feeling this way.

Though I adored the film and think it's Nolan's best, it is hampered by the science part of the science fiction. I think there's a specific audience for this movie that will be on my side, but it's going to be a very polarizing film. Also, it's his lowest rated film at Rotten Tomatoes so it's polarizing for critics as well.

A lot to take in. I really need another viewing. I'll have to do a little research too to better wrap my head around the plot and science. Definitely a beautiful film. A few moments of true awe-inspiring stuff. Not knowing a lot of the science and not being able to follow along too closely didn't bother me, because I would expect astronauts on a mission like this, for most of their conversations to go over my head.

This is his least accessible film I believe. I think with time and perspective this film will be better slotted in Nolan's filmography and how good it was. Wasn't 2001 not that well received when it first came out? It took a decade or two to really become beloved. I'd be curious how this film is perceived 20 years from now. I think it will age better, that's why I don't think it will be a big player at Oscar time.

The acting was fine. McConaughey sorta bothered me the first 20 or so minutes. It's like everything was in some kinda cool McConaughey voice. Once the movie picked up steam it didn't bother me as much, he did a great job however.

Going let this thing marinate and do a little research then I can have a more accurate review. Need another viewing but don't want to pay 10 bucks again dammit. I'll wait for blu-ray.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I cant believe that someone can not like nolan movies i mean he made the best movies of the last decade for gods sake

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Phew, just got back from Cinema. Quite the head trip, not sure I've processed it yet. Watched 2001 recently and couldn't help but wait for the robot (Fars) to go bad. Definitely similarities between the 2 films, especially the ending.

Also couldn't help but think the Space shots in Gravity look so much better than Interstellar.

Could have done with a bit more explanation at the start as to what had happened to the world, like even just a screen of text before the movie rolled.

Amazing visuals, like going to watch a piece of art rather than a film.

Not sure how to rate it yet.

Phew, just got back from Cinema. Quite the head trip, not sure I've processed it yet. Watched 2001 recently and couldn't help but wait for the robot (Fars) to go bad. Definitely similarities between the 2 films, especially the ending.

Also couldn't help but think the Space shots in Gravity look so much better than Interstellar.

Could have done with a bit more explanation at the start as to what had happened to the world, like even just a screen of text before the movie rolled.

Amazing visuals, like going to watch a piece of art rather than a film.

Not sure how to rate it yet.
Am I the only person who understood that a disease wiped out the planets food sources? I thought it was all rather well explained...

Am I the only one who thought the look of the robots was a reference to the monoliths to 2001? Or am I reading to deep into a coincidence?
I thought that as well. There's some overt 2001 references throughout.

Though I doubt you can make a space movie without invoking 2001...

Am I the only person who understood that a disease wiped out the planets food sources? I thought it was all rather well explained...
But what is the state of the world? Population? Countries? Cities? Governments? Where did the dust come from? Global Warming? All we basically see of Earth is a farm and a small town.

Just perhaps a written wall of text, like Star Wars/ Blade Runner providing a summary of the current state of affairs, brief prologue etc.

But what is the state of the world? Population? Countries? Cities? Governments? Where did the dust come from? Global Warming? All we basically see of Earth is a farm and a small town.

Just perhaps a written wall of text, like Star Wars/ Blade Runner providing a summary of the current state of affairs, brief prologue etc.
They never overtly say it, but it's implied a few times that the population of the planet is drastically depleted. The fact that they don't have MRI machines anymore alone implies there's little emphasis on keeping people alive and at least a few characters in the background die (one of Tom's children and the grandfather).

They explicitly say there's no more wars and no need for armies and no one is running the drone they collect so it's implied that governments are pretty much gone. The entire existence of man has been reduced to farming and trying to survive which isn't implied, it's expressly stated.

Are you really asking about dust? Without plants there's nothing to keep the dirt in place. With less trees there's nothing to keep the wind in check.

Does it matter?

See my review in the Interstellar thread...one of those movies I will definitely see again, way too smart for some of the audience. It's best that the state of the earth is left in question...suffice to say, things are really bad but why it happened, be it man made or the Yellowstone volcano or a gamma ray buster or whatever, is not the story.

What did any one think about the mention of the Apollo missions by the teacher, that pupils are now taught that the Apollo missions were faked to win the propaganda battle vs Russia. Seemed like a weird moment, especially to get in such a mainstream film.