Love Interests where you can't see the appeal?

Tools    

This should be a laugh .

Roxanne came into my mind today. Loved Steve Martin at the time; very funny and clever updating of Cyrano de Bergerac; great-looking film with beautiful light. Only problem: Daryl Hannah did absolutely nothing for me.

How about you? Any films/TV shows where the love interest doesn't work for you?

but are you thinking chemistry between the lead actors or that we just dont like the love interest as a character?

if its chemistry i can name two sarah michelle gellar movies
Suburbian girl with Alec Baldwin
and Possession with Lee Pace (in which i didnt just think there was a lack of chemistry but he was completely wrong for the part and i also didnt like the character)
River of No return Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum-did he rape her?was that supposed to be romantic? havent seen it for years but thats what i got from it at the time.
50 shades of grey no chemistry,bad acting,unlikable characters.both of them.

but are you thinking chemistry between the lead actors or that we just dont like the love interest as a character?
I would say the latter – I mean in the case of Roxanne I can't remember there being any fantastic chemistry there but even if there was you as a viewer might still not respond to the character, or just the actor, in question.

Easy one... Superman (1978).

I just couldn't get what Superman saw in Lois in this movie (sorry to Margot Kidder, but she just wasn't very attractive, and while I'm not gay, Chris Reeve was just a glorious looking man in that film - if there's any doubt, just look to the left. Maybe a different actress could've made the chemistry more believable).

Lois looked like she could be Superman's aunt (and that was WITH make up)!
But it wasn't just her looks, she was high strung, pushy, slightly egocentric, career obsessed, she had a gravelly voice and she SMOKED!
I know opposites are supposed to attract and all that, but there was nothing very attractive about Lois' personality either.

Easy one... Superman (1978).

I just couldn't get what Superman saw in Lois in this movie (sorry to Margot Kidder, but she just wasn't very attractive, and while I'm not gay, Chris Reeve was just a glorious looking man in that film - if there's any doubt, just look to the left. Maybe a different actress could've made the chemistry more believable).

Lois looked like she could be Superman's aunt (and that was WITH make up)!
But it wasn't just her looks, she was high strung, pushy, slightly egocentric, career obsessed, she had a gravelly voice and she SMOKED!
I know opposites are supposed to attract and all that, but there was nothing very attractive about Lois' personality either.
Well it's funny you should say that because Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns would be another mention from me. At least with Margot Kidder you got a Lois with character, like it or not .

I know this is about movies but this was the first thing that came to mind so i may as well post it:

Tony and Svetlana (aka the one legged russian) - The Sopranos

I honestly think this was his most solid relationship (or fling) since she was pretty formidable herself yet not insane like Gloria. Still this was a WTF thing for me always.

I know this is about movies but this was the first thing that came to mind so i may as well post it:
No it can be any medium at all. Film, TV, anything you think of .

No it can be any medium at all. Film, TV, anything you think of .
Then Brenda in Six Feet Under definitely. I only watched the first two seasons but i don't really understand what Nate seen in her. Lisa: the weird hippie girl was understandable going from the events in his life at the time though.

And i've never understood in Arrested Development: G.O.B's relationship with Franklin; he was clearly a massive racist.

Tony and Svetlana (aka the one legged russian) - The Sopranos

I honestly think this was his most solid relationship (or fling) since she was pretty formidable herself yet not insane like Gloria. Still this was a WTF thing for me always.
Oh, I liked Svetlana. Im very much a believer those two would hook up. She is gorgeous, but had that brutal limp from being one legged. Drinking and sitting next to each other on the sofa, that limp wasnt in his mind. The fact she was the only woman in Tonys life that he saw was a true go getter, self made, and he completely respected her on a level he had never respected any woman on before. What made it even more authentic was the twist she didnt want to be involved with him. She was not enamored by his position in the underworld at all, but liked him. She just was too strong to be some goomah. Just how I see it.

I adore As Good As It Gets, but Ive been told by multiple women it was too unrealistic Helen Hunts character would go for him. I liked it though.

Han Solo and Princess Leia kinda made my head spin, well I was a kid. I couldnt believe Han was stealing Lukes girl! Then I saw Empire Strikes Back. If a former friend hadnt spoiled it for me my mind would have been blown.

Any movie where Gérard Depardieu is the guy a woman is hopelessly in love with.

Then Brenda in Six Feet Under definitely. I only watched the first two seasons but i don't really understand what Nate seen in her. Lisa: the weird hippie girl was understandable going from the events in his life at the time though.

And i've never understood in Arrested Development: G.O.B's relationship with Franklin; he was clearly a massive racist.
Lisa was so incredibly annoying!

(willow and) Tara in Buffy.i hated the actress who played her-the puppy eyes and fake stuttering.
such a boring character (yet not as bad as dawn)

Oh, I liked Svetlana. Im very much a believer those two would hook up. She is gorgeous, but had that brutal limp from being one legged. Drinking and sitting next to each other on the sofa, that limp wasnt in his mind. The fact she was the only woman in Tonys life that he saw was a true go getter, self made, and he completely respected her on a level he had never respected any woman on before. What made it even more authentic was the twist she didnt want to be involved with him. She was enamored by his position in the underworld at all, but liked him. She just was too strong to be some goomah. Just how I see it.
That's exactly how i see it to. I agree with you. It's just me being an a-hole about the one leg thing, by that point actually since the first season he had tried to not be as reckless as he had in the past about his affairs and having sex with a one-legged woman whose cousin clearly has mental problems and attachment issues to you is reckless. If she found out about it she was always going to tell Carmela like she had in jealous rages about her own affair with Tony; the one-legged part was going to clearly push Carmela over the edge. Nothing against disabilities but her initial reaction is of course going to be "he would rather have sex with a woman with one leg than me", it was clearly going to destroy her more than finding out he was having sex with a dumb, perfect 20 year old because at least in her mind (and what actually happened) there was some emotional connection there that made him ignore the missing leg.

That's exactly how i see it to. I agree with you. It's just me being an a-hole about the one leg thing, by that point actually since the first season he had tried to not be as reckless as he had in the past about his affairs and having sex with a one-legged woman whose cousin clearly has mental problems and attachment issues to you is reckless. If she found out about it she was always going to tell Carmela like she had in jealous rages about her own affair with Tony; the one-legged part was going to clearly push Carmela over the edge. Nothing against disabilities but her initial reaction is of course going to be "he would rather have sex with a woman with one leg than me", it was clearly going to destroy her more than finding out he was having sex with a dumb, perfect 20 year old because at least in her mind (and what actually happened) there was some emotional connection there that made him ignore the missing leg.
Oh yeah he screwed up big time hooking up with her. His goomah flipped the "heck" out and Carmella did too. I corrected my post as I meant to say "she was NOT enamored by his position, I missed the "not".

Yeah, i just think it perfectly fits this thread. Having sex with a one-legged cousin of a jealous ex when you have a wife is risk central. So i don't see why you'd take the risk.

I sound so awful in this; for the record i've never cheated on any girlfriends i've had, i'm talking about this from the perspective of a character like Tony who cheats all the time.

Tony didn't help matters by whipping the congressman (or whatever he was) with his belt when he found out the guy was seeing Tony's ex-goomah.
That only reinforced their relationship in the goomah's needy eyes. Don't remember the chronology but isn't it sometime after the whipping that the goomah calls Carmella on the phone - which leads to the Sopranos' separation?

Tony didn't help matters by whipping the congressman (or whatever he was) with his belt when he found out the guy was seeing Tony's ex-goomah.
That only reinforced their relationship in the goomah's needy eyes. Don't remember the chronology but isn't it sometime after the whipping that the goomah calls Carmella on the phone - which leads to the Sopranos' separation?
It's a good five or six episodes but yeah that's relevant i suppose. By suppose i mean i wasn't really focusing on Irenas reasons for phoning Carmela they were obvious.