Acting performances that surprised you

Tools    

Recently Montgomery Clift in From Here To Eternity. About a week before watching it i watched Red River which i loved but i thought Clift was the worst thing about it. Then i thought he was easily the best thing about From Here To Eternity.

How did I miss that screencap – must get round to watching that film…

What I saw of her in The Fighter I liked as well, and I recently saw Al Pacino saying he likes her so she must be okay.
Oh man, she was great in The Fighter...that character was one tough little cookie.

Recently Montgomery Clift in From Here To Eternity. About a week before watching it i watched Red River which i loved but i thought Clift was the worst thing about it. Then i thought he was easily the best thing about From Here To Eternity.
Camo, have you seen A Place in the Sun? It's a must for Clift fans.

I thought Ben Affleck wasnt bad after all as Batman.

Tom Cruise pulled off Lestat too.

I can't say for sure that I would have recognized Heath in The Dark Knight, but honestly, I think not, it was unlike anything he had ever done and the makeup pretty much covered up his face.
Yeah, it would have been a proper head scratcher.

I thought Ben Affleck wasnt bad after all as Batman.

Tom Cruise pulled off Lestat too.
It's nice when you expect someone to be average and they're not. For example I was really impressed by Sean Bean in Troy because Odysseus needs to be wily and he had that and more. I love The Odyssey so it's great when they cast these characters well. Arnold Vosloo was also excellent casting in the otherwise ropey Odysseus and the Isle of the Mists.

Wes Studi in The Last of the Mohicans.

Pete Postlethwaite in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. After watching the film, it's certainly plain to see why he's considered one of the best parts of the film.

Well, its a cheap answer, but this performance surprised everyone when it happened - Tom Hanks in Philadelphia. It absolutely changed his career.

Clive Owen in Closer. Even though i hadn't seen him in much i thought he was a pretty bland actor, never that bad but not someone who left a memorable mark. In that way Closer blew me away, his and Portmans (who i already had conference in) performances are among my favourites of the 2000s.

I've seen this topic brought up before on other sites and while it isn't a movie the one most often mentioned is Bryan Cranstons transformation from Malcolm in the Middle to Breaking Bad.
Totally agree with you Camo regarding Owen in Closer...he was definitely robbed of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl and Steve Carrel in Foxcatcher, all incredibly potent in their respected films.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 18.00.46.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	25244   Click image for larger version

Name:	1407447321-screen_shot_2014-08-07_at_4.34.13_pm.png
Views:	119
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	25245   Click image for larger version

Name:	FCC-Foxcatcher-du-Pont.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	25246  

Bill Paxton in Frailty

He was also pretty good in Big Love but i thought all of his wives were much better while i thought he was the best thing about Frailty.

Master of My Domain
Michael Keaton's performance in Birdman still surprised me even though I got to the point where I became sick of praises directed towards him.

Here's another nod to Heath Ledger. Even though I knew he was a good actor, I had NO IDEA he could do something like that. My mind was blown.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	thejoker1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	25253