23rd MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Nominated By: Siddon

Le Samouraï
Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967
101 minutes, IMDb
remember seeing this during the 60s Countdown. Pretty thrilled to get a rewatch for it.

I finished the write-up for my own nomination, but I guess I'll wait until everyone is done guessing and MV reveals who nominated which films.

Now the real question is: do I watch Gangs of New York early just to get it out of the way, or leave it until the bitter end? I'll apologize in advance to whoever nominated it, since unless I have a complete change of heart during the rewatch, I doubt my review is going to be particularly kind.

I finished the write-up for my own nomination, but I guess I'll wait until everyone is done guessing and MV reveals who nominated which films.

Now the real question is: do I watch Gangs of New York early just to get it out of the way, or leave it until the bitter end? I'll apologize in advance to whoever nominated it, since unless I have a complete change of heart during the rewatch, I doubt my review is going to be particularly kind.
I may have to leave mine to close to the end.

I like to rewatch something if it's nominated even if I watched it 2 months ago. I want things fresh in my mind.

I hope @Miss Vicky doesnt mind me posting this.. but if you want to stream your movies.. this site is great to tell you where its streaming. I live in the U.S. and it helps.. not sure about outside the U.S.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/new

if there is a problem, just let me know and I will delete this post.

Jojo Rabbit (2019)
Directed By: Taika Waititi
Starring: Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Taika Waititi

Jojo Rabbit is an anti-fascist satire that may initially come across as somewhat insensitive to some viewers, due to its outrageous handling of otherwise serious subject matter. Instead of presenting a simple critique, the film frames hatred in an absurd manner in order to highlight how ridiculous concepts like white supremacy truly are. It pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable, while maintaining a balance between its comedic and more tragic elements. It'll likely be a divisive film, but I think its core message is an important one to share, especially with the unfortunate resurgence and growing popularity of hate groups around the world.

Casting primarily British and American actors to speak in German accents works surprisingly well with the tone of the film. Their varying degrees of exaggeration suit each individual character almost perfectly. Of course the pièce de résistance is having an indigenous Polynesian with Jewish heritage playing Hitler himself. One of my other favourite choices was the clever use of Stephen Merchant's natural height. He's almost a entire foot taller than Sam Rockwell, but the difference in their stature is enhanced even further in certain shots so that Merchant looms overhead. He's both comical and menacing at the same time.

The performances are great, especially from newcomers Roman Griffin Davis and Archie Yates. Throughout the film there is a lot of great comedy in single lines of dialogue, with Jojo's friend Yorki having some particularly memorable ones. During my second viewing, I laughed at all the same things I did when I first saw it in the theatre, so I was glad that those parts held up for me. Jojo Rabbit is not all laughs however, as it does contain some genuinely heart-warming scenes, as well as occasional bouts of weightier content. It's a strange mix that isn't going to appeal to everyone, but I enjoy the film quite a bit and I hope no one is outright offended by it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	jojo.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	66901  

Thanks!

I'm excited to check out your nomination as well. I'm actually going to find a copy now. I'm also pretty interested in Reflecting Skin now that I know Viggo Mortensen is in it. I'll probably watch one of those tonight if I'm able to.

I hope @Miss Vicky doesnt mind me posting this.. but if you want to stream your movies.. this site is great to tell you where its streaming. I live in the U.S. and it helps.. not sure about outside the U.S.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/new

if there is a problem, just let me know and I will delete this post.
It looks like it just directs you to legal sources of the movies, so it should be okay.

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.) (Uli Edel, 1981)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/08/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 23rd MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by cricket
Rewatch: No

Christiane F is the tale of a young life almost wasted, thrown away to drugs and prostitution on Berlin's streets. It's a premise that is not all unique, but it is shockingly and heartbreakingly authentic.

The film glamorizes nothing. It also never stands in judgement of its characters and never comes across as preachy. It feels very raw and very real and it owes much of this credibility to the two lead actors, both of whom turn in remarkably convincing performances - especially considering that they were only teenagers when the film was released.

It's an impressive film and one I may well watch again. Sadly, with a HOF that is populated by so many strong contenders I don't think it's likely to rank very high in the voting. Still, I'm very glad to have been introduced to it.

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.)
(Uli Edel, 1981)
Nominated By: cricket
The sick F@cker is BACK!!
The really messed up thing? After reading the basic description on IMDb. . . I am very curious to see this one

The Fisher King
(Terry Gilliam, 1991)
Nominated By: edarsenal
I was originally going to go with The Rum Diary after a recent rewatch on Netflix until the recent conversation on the Fantasy HoF sprung this one to mind that I haven't seen in over a decade and it felt like a more ideal nomination for a General HoF.

Gangs of New York
(Martin Scorsese, 2002)
Nominated By: neiba
I think I'm on a complete 180 with Cosmic when it comes to this film. Always love watching it and I've been dying to recently, so -- YAY

The Great Mouse Detective
(Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson, David Michener, and John Musker, 1986)
Nominated By: rauldc14
Have not seen this since it first came out, so should be a lot of fun to see again and see what the experience brings.

Hunger
(Steve McQueen, 2008)
Nominated By: MovieGal
I am very intrigued by this one after reading on IMDb and talking with MovieGal about it. along with a chance to see another McQueen film since seeing 12 Years a Slave.

Jojo Rabbit
(Taika Waititi, 2019)
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway
I am DYING to see this!!!!

Banshun (Late Spring)
(Yasujirô Ozu, 1949)
Nominated By: ahwell
Only seen one or two Ozu and I do remember this title being mentioned when talking about Ozu so it should be a very good watch.

Le Samouraï
(Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967)
Nominated By: Siddon
Like I said, haven't had the opportunity to rewatch this since discovering it during the 60s Countdown so I am VERY hyped.

The Reflecting Skin
(Philip Ridley, 1990)
Nominated By: pahaK
A vampire flick a la pahaK??? I am very curious.

Schindler's List
(Steven Spielberg, 1993)
Nominated By: Citizen Rules
A Must See! film I have always shied away from knowing how emotional of a film it is but I do believe it's time has come to experience and, most likely, applaud this film.

La piel que habito (The Skin I Live In)
(Pedro Almodóvar, 2011)
Nominated By: Miss Vicky
From the first time this film came out I have been equally disturbed and attracted by the notion of seeing it.
And now. . . oh my ::wolf smile::

Stand By Me
(Rob Reiner, 1986)
Nominated By: Sarge
I've enjoyed this in my youth and a recent rewatch for a recent HoF that I'm unsure of, I was a little lukewarm with it so I'll see if I'm back to enjoying it as I once did.

And now, the TRUE dilemma --- WHICH ONE do I start with!!!

@cricket

Do you want Spaulding's quote of your previous review counted as your write-up for Christiane F or do you want to post something else for it?

Thanks!

I'm excited to check out your nomination as well. I'm actually going to find a copy now. I'm also pretty interested in Reflecting Skin now that I know Viggo Mortensen is in it. I'll probably watch one of those tonight if I'm able to.
If you, or anyone has trouble, I do have a very good link for it.
And I feel the same regarding Reflecting and Viggo as well.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seen 5 of the 12. This will be quite interesting. I see 2 films contending for the top to start things off but we will see how it shakes out.

I agree with Ed, tough to know where to start lol.

@cricket

Do you want Spaulding's quote of your previous review counted as your write-up for Christiane F or do you want to post something else for it?
I'll post something new

Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (Christiane F.) (Uli Edel, 1981)
Imdb

Date Watched: 08/08/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 23rd MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by cricket
Rewatch: No

Christiane F is the tale of a young life almost wasted, thrown away to drugs and prostitution on Berlin's streets. It's a premise that is not all unique, but it is shockingly and heartbreakingly authentic.

The film glamorizes nothing. It also never stands in judgement of its characters and never comes across as preachy. It feels very raw and very real and it owes much of this credibility to the two lead actors, both of whom turn in remarkably convincing performances - especially considering that they were only teenagers when the film was released.

It's an impressive film and one I may well watch again. Sadly, with a HOF that is populated by so many strong contenders I don't think it's likely to rank very high in the voting. Still, I'm very glad to have been introduced to it.

and my interest grows. Confirming a lot of things I was expecting regarding the credibility and the authentic feel of it.