2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Every year @Iroquois is the last submit his list, looks like this year will be no different.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah yeah, at this rate you should be glad I sent something in at all. Is this the lowest turnout yet?

Ladies and gentlemen.

It is now time for the 2018 Mofo Film Awards!!!!

*crickets*

Alrighty then....

Let's get this show on the road shall we?

We have a total of 20 submitted voters. Not everyone voted in all the categories and we do not have any ties this year.

So, without delaying this any longer. Let's get it going.

This was a tight race with First Man and Annihilation tying for second place with 6 votes each. A last minute surge for Infinity War gave it the win with 7 votes. Aquaman managed to snag 1.

The only film I hadn't seen in the best VFX category was Christopher Robin, which I meant to watch but completely forgot about, even when I was checking over what I intended to see for these awards. It was only really between Infinity War and Annihilation for me. My vote went to Avengers, but it was pretty close.

For best score, the only one I actually remembered any music from after the fact was Mandy, so it got my vote by default. It was also the only film I had nominated in that category to begin with, for the same reason. Either I don't pay close enough attention to film scores, or none of them really stuck out to me this year.

Another close race here. Beale Street managed to sneak by with 5 votes in it's favour. First Man and Mandy tied for second place with 4 votes each. The Favourite and Annihilation settled with 3 and 2.

Breakthrough Performance of the Year

Yalitza Aparicio - Roma

Elsie Fisher - Eighth Grade

Lady Gaga - A Star is Born

Thomasin McKenzie - Leave No Trace

Alex Wolff - Hereditary

movies can be okay...
I voted for Annihilation for best VFX. It's not consistently great in that department, but it's ambitious enough to make me turn a blind eye on the iffy parts.

I also voted The Favourite for best score, but to be fair, I have yet to see If Beale Street Could Talk.

Elsie Fisher was great in Eighth Grade, but Yalitza still had my vote with ease.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Elsie Fisher barely got the win here, just edging out Lady Gaga by one vote, 6-5. Maybe Lady Gaga's turn in American Horror story hurt her chances of 'breaking out'. Alex Wolff had some support towards the end, but not enough to catch these two ladies.