Good movies based on video games?

Tools    

I know there was a video game in the movie The Last Starfighter, but was it a real video game?

Also, was TRON a video game based on the movie, or a movie based on the video game?
It was a movie first and then a video game. Just barely. The movie came out just a few months before the video game within the same year (1982).

Mortal kombat and street fighter are guilty pleasures of mine
mortal kombat has the higher hand over street fighter

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Silent Hill is decent.

I'd still love to see a Metal Gear Solid film.

Suspect's Reviews

I've just remembered Tom Baker describing the script for Dungeons & Dragons (2000) as "an awful pile of whippet s***" and that he thought initially they wanted him to play "an elk – I'm big enough to play an elk" .

This might just do nobody any good.
I’ll take a Half Life movie but only if Shane Carruth writes, directs and stars as Gordon Freeman.

This thread is proof positive that most of you are soul less monsters who have no sense of history and goodness. There is but one Video Game movie that stands above all else that is dare I say the greatest movie of all time. This was the Wizard of Oz for my generation and I remember children opening weeping once they saw this glory.

SHAME ON YOU ALL FOR LETTING THIS REFERENCE DROP TO PAGE 2

Criterion needs to stop dragging it's feet, we need a The Wizard(1989) release.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
the worst adaptation has to be : street fighter (1994)...damn how good that movie could have been had it been done the right way, it was an amazing cast, raul julia as bizon is just a perfectly casted actor for a great villain, shame how this generic film turned out
I wouldn't say Street Fighter is the worst. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is the worst IMO.

Where as Mortal Kombat (1995) is the best video game adaptation I would say.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The Ratchet & Clank film was very faithful to the video-game counterpart, but it received very bad reviews, and I think, deserved them, too, but it's because Ratchet & Clank always had the fun game-play to make its weaker aspects less noticeable.

I didn't hate the Prince of Persia film, but I am also a really big fan of the game series and I really like Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor, it isn't a great film, but I didn't think it was horrible.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
There hasn't been one yet.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
In an update, I've since watched the new Tomb Raider film AND ... we're still looking for a "good" film, I'm afraid. I've heard some really love Silent Hill, and I definitely think it's faithful and has a story that had potential, but, damn, it was a dull film.

I'd recommend Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time. Though it's not as great as the Game is but it is fun and entertaining and will keep you engaged.

Other movie is about games is This Year's READY PLAYER ONE. It's visually great and really amazing movie. Must Watch

This might just do nobody any good.
Edge of Tomorrow is a good video game movie that’s not an adaptation. Aliens too, for that matter. Deadpool as well.

At the time I thought that Mortal Kombat was pretty fun, I haven't seen it in forever though.

I personally still enjoy watching Silent Hill, a movie that I have recently rewatched. Some of the gore and atmosphere are on point, but the script and some of the acting are easy to criticize, so I wouldn't try to defend it on it's finer points.

A categorically and critically "good" video game adaptation is possible in my eyes, but I speculate that would it need some incredibly smart talent behind it. Like MGS adapted by the late Mike Nichols kind of smart.

I watched Mortal Kombat (1995) a year or so ago and wow, I didn't realize how bad the graphics were back then. At the time I thought it was amazing, but looks so cartooney today.

Silent Hill the movie, I didn't think lived up to the eerie and creepy factor like the game did. It was just meh to me. The game would make my hair raise on end in some parts.

Mortal kombat and street fighter are guilty pleasures of mine

At the time I was such a huge Mortal Kombat fan that I couldn't wait for the movie to come out. Street Fighter is one of those bad movies that you've seen more times than you should have.

No mention of Mario Brothers (1993)?? You know that was the best movie adaptation ever. I'm still waiting to see if Mario and Luigi go back with Daisy to save the day.

Really, though that movie was so bad, but I don't know how many times I've seen it. Just a weird movie.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Mortal Kombat is still my favorite one even though it is cheesy, it's good cheesy. I saw the first Tomb Raider and liked that one too. Mortal Kombat Annihilation is officially the worst video game movie I've seen.

I wanted to like Silent Hill but I thought it relied too much on gore over real scares in a lot of it, and I felt that it left too many unanswered questions in the end, but still very interesting and well shot for sure.

Am I the only one who likes the Max Payne movie? It's not near as bad as others say it is and overall enjoyable for a video game movie, does anyone else think so?