Name The musician/singer

Tools    

Dunno

Nina Simone, of course!

OPEN FLOOR
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This shouldn't be too hard. But this well known duo was known by another name in this photo. Extra points if you can guess both.

Couldn't resist this one. That's Simon & Garfunkel. But in this picture they were likely still known as Tom & Jerry.

Funny story: Zappa ran into Paul Simon in NYC in 1969. We were on a Northeastern tour at the time. Simon said that they hadn't been touring in awhile, and had really missed the whole groupie thing, so Frank asked them if they'd like to come on the bus with us to a show we were doing at Colgate Univ. the next night in upstate NY. They both agreed.

Frank decided on a gag which would put S&G disguised in trench coats and hats with "press" credentials, and have them roam the fringes of the stage taking pictures of our show as pro photographers.

When we finished the set, Frank announced to the audience that these two photographers also sang together as a duo calling themselves Tom & Jerry; and Frank wanted them to sing a song or two for exposure. The audience didn't catch on right away.

Simon grabbed a guitar, and they started to sing some of their old hits like "Hey, Schoolgirl", "The Sound of Silence". They hadn't sung this stuff in so long that they flubbed some of the lyrics. Gradually the audience caught on who they were. Frank stepped up to the mic and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, Simon and Garfunkel". The audience went wild, so the guys played another song or two.

And they did this for free-- just for something different to do. They were both real nice guys, especially Art Garfunkel. Paul and Frank spent an hour or so on the bus playing guitars to old rock 'n roll. Good times, and I bet those college kids never forgot that show!

~Doc

Her name is Paula Kelly. She was not on "Night Court". That was comedian Marsha Warfield. Not close, really.

OPEN FLOOR
Paula Kelly did make 13 appearances on Night Court playing a public defender named Liz Williams.

It's Hoagy.

A note to @GulfportDoc
I LOVE THAT STORY - THANKS SO MUCH!!! for sharing that. Well I may sound like a fawning fan here, but I gotta say I LOVE having you on this forum.Please feel free to continue to regale us with memories like these.

Yes, that was a photo from their Tom and Jerry days, I really didn't know that group but sure knew S&G . I never got to see them both perform but I did see Garfunkle in the not too distant past. He was a most gracious performer, in 'tune' with the audience and seemed to instinctively know which songs we wanted to hear.
When he started to end the concert with Bridge Over Troubled Water, I was wondering if he, as a more mature man, would be able to hit that last uber high note , or crack his voice trying. He did NOT go for that adolescent high note, but finished with a drawn out eloquent flourish that didn't leave a dry eye in the house. I still get chills.

Nice to know his angelic singing voice sprung from part of the man himself. And a fun side revealed about your old pal Frank.

Singer/songwriter who first became famous singing in an established band, then had a successful solo career including a couple hits that came from motion picture soundtracks.

I believe that's Peter Cetera, formerly of the rock band Chicago. We played several gigs with them in the late 60s when they were still known as the Chicago Transit Authority. He had a very unique voice. If that's he, I didn't realize he had a successful solo career. Good for him. He's 3 days younger than I..

~Doc