What's the definition of a "horror" movie?

Tools    

Silence of the lambs has nothing to do with horror, it s an and out crime thriller, it goes in the same territory as: seven, kiss the girls, zodiac, copycat etc....
That's your opinion. Either way, it doesn't matter. Silence of the Lambs is not eligible for the countdown.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I'd say my favorite horror movie is The Skin I Live In (2011), but does that count as horror?

I'd say my favorite horror movie is The Skin I Live In (2011), but does that count as horror?
I haven't seen it, but it's eligible for the countdown.

That's your opinion. Either way, it doesn't matter. Silence of the Lambs is not eligible for the countdown.
it s not my opinion, its the logical answer, it has nothing to do with horror, it s a serial killer film, with police investigations, it has to be a crime thriller.
while Heat is a crime drama,but goes into action territory.

it s not my opinion, its the logical answer, it has nothing to do with horror, it s a serial killer film, with police investigations, it has to be a crime thriller.
It doesn't matter. Silence of the Lambs is not eligible for the countdown.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
It is your opinion. Silence Of The Lambs is a very scary film. It has a very un-easy feeling to it throughout the movie, and it has a very dark tone. It has some seriously f##### people in it that make other horror movie characters seem like childs stuff. Silence Of The Lambs has wayyyyy to many horror elements to ignore, and I don't care what IMDb labels it as.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

It is your opinion. Silence Of The Lambs is a very scary film. It has a very un-easy feeling to it throughout the movie, and it has a very dark tone. It has some seriously f##### people in it that make other horror movie characters seem like childs stuff. Silence Of The Lambs has wayyyyy to many horror elements to ignore, and I don't care what IMDb labels it as.
it s an out and out crime thriller, whether u like it or not, it s not even open for discussion, if you check which are the best horror movies of the 90s u will never ever see that film in the list

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
it s an out and out crime thriller, whether u like it or not, it s not even open for discussion, if you check which are the best horror movies of the 90s u will never ever see that film in the list
Wrong. If you Google the best horror movies of the 90's; straight away Google hits you with Scream, Blair Witch, and Silence Of The Lambs.

Looking through lists on Google it's hard to find one that doesn't included SOTL.

Wrong. If you Google the best horror movies of the 90's; straight away Google hits you with Scream, Blair Witch, and Silence Of The Lambs.

Looking through lists on Google it's hard to find one that doesn't included SOTL.
This is true as many consider it horror, but then why isn't Se7en? Is No Country for Old Men then also horror? It has a scary killer. There's no diffinitive answer it seems.

This is true as many consider it horror, but then why isn't Se7en? Is No Country for Old Men then also horror? It has a scary killer. There's no diffinitive answer it seems.
It's the tuck.

Sh*t's terrifying.

Seven is a crime thriller, it doesn t matter how.much scary it is ,it still a crime thriller

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
It is open for discussion lol. You’re being very narrow minded. It’s arguable.

You need to persuasively explain what a horror film is and why silence doesn’t fit the mould if people are going to take you seriously. Rather than just trying throwing out its a crime thriller. It clearly has some horror elements. Does it have to have say 40% or more to be a horror? Be clear.

A friend of mine said he felt that United 93 was a horror movie, cause it definitely has a lot of horror elements in it. Do you think that should count too then, or no?

A friend of mine said he felt that United 93 was a horror movie, cause it definitely has a lot of horror elements in it. Do you think that should count too then, or no?
Who are you addressing the question to? We are in the middle of discussing silence of the lambs. Maybe you should wait until that’s resolved and apply some of the definitions in that before adding to the mix and complicating things further.

Oh sorry, the thread title was "What's the definition of a "horror" movie, so I thought I would use an example I thought of, but if we are still talking about Silence of the Lambs, then I can stick to that .

Oh sorry, the thread title was "What's the definition of a "horror" movie, so I thought I would use an example I thought of, but if we are still talking about Silence of the Lambs, then I can stick to that .
Yea we are did you not see the last several posts? It’s good to pay attention to the content of posts rather than simply relying on the title because you may be asking things that have already been answered, which frankly, is a waste of time.

Yep okay thanks, noted. For The Silence of the Lambs, I wikipedia wrote it as a psychological horror thriller, last time I checked if I remember correct, and I would say that is the genre it falls into.

I think it would depend on the monster. Frankenstein has more of a horror monster, where as King Kong has more of an action monster, but maybe I'm wrong?