Verhoeven Club - Total Recall

Tools    

"Oh, yeah, Dixie actually stops and says '****.'"

"And grabs the nearest flatfoot and says 'Officer Officer I saw the whole thing" '"
"Pretty thin"
"Anorexic"
"With your wife's cooking I'm not surprised"

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
"Oh, yeah, Dixie actually stops and says '****.'"

"And grabs the nearest flatfoot and says 'Officer Officer I saw the whole thing" '"
"Pretty thin"
"Anorexic"
"With your wife's cooking I'm not surprised"
"Remarks like that will not get you invited to Christmas dinner!"
"My luck's gettin' better every day."

Welcome to the human race...
Coming from you, that's practically a compliment.

At least the Total Recall remake is better than the RoboCop remake.

Coming from you, that's practically a compliment.

At least the Total Recall remake is better than the RoboCop remake.

Both suck tbh.
You cannot remake a Verhoeven movie... let alone do a movie on Total Recall a totally remove all references to Mars.

It's like remaking Blade Runner.
And you remove Replicants. The future setting.
Flying cars.

In fact, it's like remaking Blade Runner, calling it Blade Runner, and having the setting the Wild West, with Henry The 8th in a finale showdown with Jesus.
Jesus win... by using the Starship Enterprise as a weapon.
But he has to blow up the Death Star first.
But only after Captain America kills Superman.

total recall the original i mean was bad ass

Just sat and watched with the commentary on with Verhoeven and Schwarzenegger...

Interestingly... even Paul says the movie is a dream, and also not a dream.
"It depends on the audience watching"
And a little while later he simply elaborates on it.
"A basic audience will see this as a dream, but others won't. Others will see it as absolutely real. And they're both right."

The other thing that's interesting is at the end when Doug and Melina kiss... Paul says "This is where we go back to Dr Edgemar saying he will end up lobotomised. The dream music playing as they kiss and we fade out, is Doug's dream coming to an end and at Rekall, he is now a vegetable"

So, Paul is saying at the end, he believes that it's a dream... and that Doug should have swallowed that pill.
Paul himself thinks it's a dream... and Doug is now lobotomised.

That's kinda interesting that he says both ideas are correct, it is a dream, and also not... it's all dependent on the viewer's mindset yet Paul himself thinks it is a dream.

Firing this thread up again

From the Top 100 Thread...
Now I really wish my In The Mood For Love guess was correct. I rewatched a couple Arnold movies either early this past year or in 2019. Total Recall and Terminator, truly terrible movies. Hard for me to imagine that nostalgia isn't the only reason people like these.

I took my, then, wife to see GWTW in the theater way too long ago. I enjoyed it and the experience. Had I intermission and everything. I haven't returned to it, but I am not against the idea of it happening eventually either. One of my favorite endings. If I hadn't used the line so often maybe I would still be married.

@seanc

What's wrong with Total Recall?

As a Verhoeven fan, I'd say it could have used a little more puppy chow

Firing this thread up again

From the Top 100 Thread...

@seanc

What's wrong with Total Recall?
Lol. I should have known all those immediate mentions would be you. I will have to get back to you. I wasted my Mon on mofo. I really need to do some work this morning. Glad the administrator doesn't monitor my phone.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've only see two good Paul Verhoeven movies so far, but have not seen all of his. Those would be Robocop and Total Recall and this movie is really good . One of Schwarzenegger's best.

Just sat and watched with the commentary on with Verhoeven and Schwarzenegger...

Interestingly... even Paul says the movie is a dream, and also not a dream.
"It depends on the audience watching"
And a little while later he simply elaborates on it.
"A basic audience will see this as a dream, but others won't. Others will see it as absolutely real. And they're both right."

The writing of this movie is better than the late 80s/early 90s cheese-whiz we remember. It's one of the smarter "dumb" movies out there.

I think the film is intended to be delicately balanced on "is it or isn't it?", although the text makes it
WARNING: "Don't Look!" spoilers below
pretty clear that it is a dream (we see Melina's face on a computer screen before Arnold take the plunge). Also, we're told the plot to the movie before he takes the plunge by the sale rep

I've only see two good Paul Verhoeven movies so far, but have not seen all of his. Those would be Robocop and Total Recall and this movie is really good . One of Schwarzenegger's best.
I'm not gonna join this club because it might mean watching Showgirls, but Total Recall is phenomenal. I'd even put it in my top 30.

Speaking of verhoeven, anyone has fond memories for The 4th Man? Probably one of the best of his films

Just did a rewatch, and boy this one hell of a sci fi film still relevant even after 30 years, i would call it arnold not showing his muscles film, micheal ironside is just great here

Just did a rewatch, and boy this one hell of a sci fi film still relevant even after 30 years, i would call it arnold not showing his muscles film, micheal ironside is just great here
Not quite Starship Troopers or Scanners. Just Ironside chewing the scenery in one of his many villain roles.