CiCi's Top 50 Horror Films!

→ in
Tools    

I thought of Saw II while hosting Survivor VII: MoFo Penitentiary. And I did play Jigsexy.

Saw II is probably my favorite of those movies, as well.

You're praising me way too much in this thread - like I'm the only one who ever did a top-anything list (mine was superior though)

Anyways, this already exceeded my expectations. You got some solid long write-ups here; when you said you wanted to do something less crazy, I didn't think you would have proper write-ups like this - this is great.

I'll be following it closely... And demand it deleted from the forum if it ever gets too good.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
46. American Mary (Jennifer and Sylvia Soska - 2012)

With 57% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a score of 46 on Metacritic, the jury is split on this one. But I adore it

A critic said that this film was "the most fascinating female orientated horror in years" and that sums this up magnificently. Everything about it is original, especially its restrained stance on the rape-and-revenge sub-genre that actually delivers its feminist stand point with conviction, and evidently heralds women, unlike several other rapey films that muddy the water regarding feminism. But revolving around body modification, social alienation, and superficial prejudices, this film proves that horror is a vast genre that stretches far beyond teenagers being hacked away by serial killers.

And then there's Katharine Isabelle. One of my favourite actresses! To me, this is a career high performance for her (including Ginger Snaps) and she immerses herself entirely in the layered character that was tailor made for her by Jen and Sylvia, who also wrote the script. This film is worth watching for her alone, and she made it a lot easier to forgive the errors that the film did contain.

45. Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky - 1989)

Like American Mary, this is another one that is unlike pretty much anything else horror has to offer. It's about a vast spectrum of things, and I'd be on for hours going through it all. It's a bit of an epic, really!

At its centre though, it's a love story between a carnival performer and a deaf mute girl named Alma who he pines for throughout his youth and early adulthood. It's bittersweet, intelligent, innovative, and unforgettable. This applies to all aspects of the film as well, from the direction to the acting. A must watch!

Again, haven't seen either. I was like Santa Sangre is a horror film? Until i realized i was thinking of Sans Soleil . As i said, i'll watch American Mary the next time i'm in the mood for a horror if i can.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Again, haven't seen either. I was like Santa Sangre is a horror film? Until i realized i was thinking of Sans Soleil . As i said, i'll watch American Mary the next time i'm in the mood for a horror if i can.

And I'd highly recommend doing so! Mary is on Netflix if I remember rightly

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
American Mary is meh, Santa Sangre is cool though.
B-b-b-but Katharine Isabelle and the Soska sisters
It does have plot issues, though

And Santa Sangre is cool! I should have just said that

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
44. Frontier(s) (Xavier Gens - 2007)

I actually first saw this in the euro horror HOF, but I can't remember who nominated it now. Anyway, I'd like to thank them again because I really liked this.

This new wave French film follows a bunch of criminals in a France that is on the brink of destruction and revolt after a far right-wing president is elected, causing the Parisians to flee to the border... where they encounter a bunch of neo-nazis.

It's a typical horror film, filled with violence and gore, but it's not gratuitous. I actually found this film quite frightening at parts, both in the nazi wannabes rhetoric, and the sadistic acts that they inflict. It's degrading, dehumanising, demoralising, but it's one hell of a ride, and and unforgettable experience.

43. Inside (Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo - 2007)

Another new wave French horror flick. This one following a heavily pregnant woman being terrorised by a woman intent on taking her unborn baby to raise as her own.

My god, this is extremely violent. But again, it isn't gratuitous. This, mixed with a solid script, gory direction, and terrific acting (especially by Beatrice Dalle as "La Femme"). All of which enhances the horror of the whole situation. Anyway, is it any wonder I'm gay when she convinces us women like that are on our streets?

Again, like with American Mary, this is proof that female orientated horror doesn't have to revolve around teenage women exposing their boobs at the sight of a male, and that creativity and original concepts are still thriving across the world.

I also wouldn't advise the pregnant, or women planning on having children, to watch even a second of this

inside has been on my watchlist for a while now.
whats creepy is that things like that have happened several times

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
inside has been on my watchlist for a while now.
whats creepy is that things like that have happened several times
Exactly! Now, I don't have a vagina, but if someone came at me whilst heavily pregnant, I'd be absolutely terrified to my core... Because how are you meant to defend yourself in such a vulnerable state? That must be one of the most terrifying things for a woman wanting or expecting to have children to think of/experience

Exactly! Now, I don't have a vagina, but if someone came at me whilst heavily pregnant, I'd be absolutely terrified to my core... Because how are you meant to defend yourself in such a vulnerable state? That must be one of the most terrifying things for a woman wanting or expecting to have children to think of/experience
This made me

Haven't seen either of those as usual.

yeah i remember one girl being on the oprah show because that had happened-so sickening.
anyways im not push no baby out of my ho-ha so im safe either way

45. Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky - 1989)
Awesome! Santa Sangre is amazing. I've appreciated Jodorowsky's 'LSD' saturated imagination in everything I've seen from him, but SS is easily my favorite.

You're otherwise mainly posting stuff I haven't seen so far, but a couple have caught my interest. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

American Mary, Frontiers, and Inside were all on my top 100 horror list, with Inside being a pretty strong favorite.

I've had Santa Sangre on my watchlist even though I'm not a fan of the director.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Awesome! Santa Sangre is amazing. I've appreciated Jodorowsky's 'LSD' saturated imagination in everything I've seen from him, but SS is easily my favorite.

You're otherwise mainly posting stuff I haven't seen so far, but a couple have caught my interest. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Thanks very much! I didn't know much about the director before I saw it, but he seems like a rather peculiar being to say the least

American Mary, Frontiers, and Inside were all on my top 100 horror list, with Inside being a pretty strong favorite.

I've had Santa Sangre on my watchlist even though I'm not a fan of the director.
I'd definitely recommend SS!

And finally another American Mary fan, I never thought I'd live to see the day!

Let the night air cool you off
Just about all of these movies are on my watchlist. I have, however, seen You're Next. It was a pleasant surprise for me, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I may have seen Saw II, but I can't be sure which Saw movies I have or haven't seen. This list is interesting and unique so far. I am digging it.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Just about all of these movies are on my watchlist. I have, however, seen You're Next. It was a pleasant surprise for me, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I may have seen Saw II, but I can't be sure which Saw movies I have or haven't seen. This list is interesting and unique so far. I am digging it.
I'm flattered, JJ! Thank you!