Suspiria remake

Tools    

Seems Guadagnino is remaking it from a place of immense love for the original, so I don't think it's crapping on Argento's.

I don't get any feeling that the remake will crap on the original, in fact, I think it will probably be a good a solid movie (if you're into that style of filmmaking - by that I mean super disturbing with a gothic/rustic mix). But I also think there will be the obligatory political stuff thrown in to earn points. You know, the kind that script doctors help usher in for more controversy and acclaim? And that in and of itself I suppose could be considered crapping on the original. But we will see. I mean, others will see..I have no interest. I'm just here for the debating and shout therapy.

I don't get any feeling that the remake will crap on the original, in fact, I think it will probably be a good a solid movie (if you're into that style of filmmaking - by that I mean super disturbing with a gothic/rustic mix). But I also think there will be the obligatory political stuff thrown in to earn points. You know, the kind that script doctors help usher in for more controversy and acclaim? And that in and of itself I suppose could be considered crapping on the original. But we will see. I mean, others will see..I have no interest. I'm just here for the debating and shout therapy.
That is definitely fair. We'll have to wait and see what the finished product is like.

No I just meant I hope it isn't horrendous to a level it craps on the original, not that that was his intent going into this.
True. I think a movie like the 2011 (was it 2011?) remake of Carpenter's The Thing kind of "craps" on the original (though even then I contend we can all just ignore that movie and watch Carpenter's). But that's because it was a terrible film that tried to be both a sequel and a remake, so it was effectively tying itself to the original story-wise.

This seems to be more of a reimagining, so I can't see how it will crap on the original. Who knows, though! I am excited, because I think it looks great, but I may see it and dislike it myself.

I am most excited to see what Yorke does with the score, and the overall mysterious and brooding atmosphere. And the weird artsy horror sh*t, of course.

Plus it looks like all three mothers are involved, so I'm curious to see the links to Inferno as well (never seen the third part)
Damn, now I'm envisioning a Guadagnino remake of Inferno. I probably just made you cringe, but my eyes lit up.

Yeah Yorke doing the music is an interesting touch. Who knows, maybe Dario will end up liking it. I'm only being an optimist because I am a few bad trips away from becoming a born again, so...

Ultimately my opinion is to leave perfectly fine original films alone and woodshed your own masterpiece...pay homage? Of course. Completely remake/revamp? It's the writing...need better writing with wilder base premises.

Ultimately my opinion is to leave perfectly fine original films alone and woodshed your own masterpiece...pay homage? Of course. Completely remake/revamp? It's the writing...need better writing with wilder base premises.
That's fair, and I kind of agree to an extent. I'll write more in a sec. I'm curious what you think about Carpenter's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly? I can't see you not being a fan of those.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Speaking of remakes I often wonder how Mirror's Edge as a film would be if it was done by Guadagnino or Winding Refn. It'd either be a complete mess or completely stunning and I kinda wanna see it

That's fair, and I kind of agree to an extent. I'll write more in a sec. I'm curious what you think about Carpenter's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly? I can't see you not being a fan of those.
Well, with those movies they were an improvement, imo. Big, BIG improvements. Both films
gave
the originals an actual aesthetic and larger status.

But if someone were to try and remake, I dunno, let's just say Maximum Overdrive (which is completely silly to think about), it'd be not good because there is always something about a beloved movie, even with its inherent weaknesses, that cement it into the psyche of rabid movie fans.

The thing is, if a remake was an original creation that draws heavily from it's inspired source, wouldn't people call it a rip-off? I dunno. Seems hard to have your cake and eat it, too, in this situation. How closely can you align your own creation with the original source of inspiration before people scoff at it? This is more complex than I ever thought.

Well, with those movies they were an improvement, imo. Big, BIG improvements. Both films
gave
the originals an actual aesthetic and larger status.
That is mostly subjective, though I agree. They were factually remakes of originals, so by your logic Carpenter should have just done his own original INSPIRED by his beloved childhood Hawks-produced film.

I mean, I think some people will say the Suspiria remake is an improvement over the original (which does have it's detractors). Who's to say, really?

Like, imagine As Good as it Gets being remade. I wouldn't put it past Hollywood. And of course the director would say how much a fan he/she is of the original, and they have nothing but love for the original, but that won't stop them from carrying on with their paycheck to produce/direct, even against James L. Brooks's/Dario Argentos wishes.

That is mostly subjective, though I agree. They were factually remakes of originals, so by your logic Carpenter should have just done his own original INSPIRED by his beloved childhood Hawks-produced film.

I mean, I think some people will say the Suspiria remake is an improvement over the original (which does have it's detractors). Who's to say, really?
Well, I'm positive that people who grew up with The Fly and The Thing despise Carpenter for "what he did!". It's common. But,..I will tell that new director to get off of my lawn..even though I rent and my backyard is a concrete slab.

The thing is, if a remake was an original creation that draws heavily from it's inspired source, wouldn't people call it a rip-off? I dunno. Seems hard to have your cake and eat it, too, in this situation. How closely can you align your own creation with the original source of inspiration before people scoff at it? This is more complex than I ever thought.
Totally agree with you there. If they just wouldn;t call it Suspiria I guess is my point. I have no bones with close work to an original past source. Same thing with Ghostbusters. If they had just called it by a different name instead of trying to forge a replacement. But with Suspiria, the proof will def be in the pudding. Now I may watch it. Damnit, Swan, stop influencing me!