Kaplan's Top 50 Songs

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
30. Suzanne - Leonard Cohen

Best use of this song ever!

Nice list, but I'd prefer an album list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
So many great picks. There's at least one song in each set I like.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
for both of the last two.

Nice list, but I'd prefer an album list.
Albums are so yesterday, man. Today it's all about the song, the quick fix, the ipod shuffle.

Actually, for me this worked better. I was bored by my own top 25 album list I submitted for the album countdown. This way I can highlight favorite artists and/or albums, and also songs I love where I'm not a big fan of the album it's on or perhaps even familiar with the album it comes off of.

26. Rent - Pet Shop Boys

Pure cynicism performed with the deepest affection. I love the contrast.

25. Rehab - Amy Winehouse

The energetic, catchy pop sound belies the fact it's a dark song about alcoholism. And the fact Amy Winehouse died from her alcoholism at the age of 27 makes it all the more tragic. One of the best pure pop songs I've heard in the last ten years.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
There was no reason for me to be so happy to see Pet Shop Boys on this list, but I was. Very good choice right there.

24. Heartbeats - The Knife

Great modern techno alternative pop song. Jose Gonzalez (see #44) does a great cover of this, but I still slightly prefer the original.

23. Fearless - Pink Floyd

I know this might seem an odd choice for Pink Floyd, but I love this song. I'm not hugely fond of the Meddle album, but this track stands out. My favorite Pink Floyd album is Animals.

22. The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel

It's a tough call which song I prefer, this one or "Scarborough Fair," but I love the way this builds and has an epic feel to it.

21. Ghost of the Year - Max Q

Michael Hutchence had a side project called Max Q, and as much as I like INXS, I think this album was better than anything INXS did.

20. Drink Before the War - Sinead O'Connor

Sinead has one of the most amazing voices ever. Her first two albums were masterpieces while her third had great moments, but was overall uneven, and I haven't followed her career since. Regardless I will always love what she did back in the 80s. I didn't choose one of her popular song, but one where she displays all her talent, not just for singing, but for expressing so much emotion.

19. Hole in the Sky - Black Sabbath

I borrowed this album, Sabotage, from my neighbor when I was maybe 15, and with my parents away blasted it at full volume, and I've been in love with Black Sabbath ever since. At least the original Sabbath with Ozzy. I could never get into any of their later stuff. And based on my reaction to this I perhaps could have turned into a metal head, except from my explorations of metal I found it all so silly and boring. (Sorry, metal heads.) Nonetheless, thirty years later I still love this album, and this was the opening song that blew my mind.

This might be the oddest pairing yet on my list, but I must say the random generator did an excellent job of ordering these.

18. Worlock - Skinny Puppy

Skinny Puppy is an industrial group from the early 80s, still making music today--though of course their last few albums aren't nearly as good as their older stuff. I love this group, and I could have picked from dozens of favorites, but this is one of their more well-known songs. Note the guitar samples from "Helter Skelter" in the middle of the song and the samples of Charles Manson singing "Helter Skelter." The video consists of clips from horror movies and is pretty extreme.

17. Working Class Hero - John Lennon

John Lennon is and always will be my favorite Beatle, and while his solo output can be a little uneven at times, his first two proper solo albums are masterpieces. This song comes off of Plastic Ono Band, and it's still a powerful song.

A Well Respected Man is my favorite since the last time I checked in. Plenty of great tunes though with a nice variety. Such a shame about Winehouse

16. Human Behavior - Björk

I admit to not being familiar with many of Bjork's albums, but I bought Debut on the strength of this song, and I ended up loving the entire album. Listening to the song takes me back to that time period. It's a great video directed by Michel Gondry.

15. Flesh and Blood - Johnny Cash

Great song with great lyrics.

14. White Room - Cream

I'm not always crazy for Cream's straight blues efforts, but when they focused on bluesy psychedelic hard rock, they were incredible, and I think this is their best song.

13. Casey's Last Ride - Kris Kristofferson

This is one of the most poetically poignant song about loneliness and longing I've ever heard.

I had a quick look through your songs Kap, and anyone who has Johnny Cash on their list has my attention. I like all the songs I'm familiar with on your list so that means I owe the others a listen which I'll do tomorrow

12. A Horse With No Name - America

Great song I've loved for dang near forty years.

11. White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

Trippy song from the summer of love. Can't say I care for much else Jefferson Airplane did, but I still love this one.

There's a couple songs I prefer from Cream, but White Room is one of their greats no doubt.

I prefer Sister Golden Hair from America but Horse with No Name is also great.

White Rabbit is friggin brilliant!

I've listened to your whole playlist while I've been working today and there isn't a dud amongst them. There's lots of favourites of mine too like The Boxer, Horse with No Name, White Rabbit, Voodoo Chile, A Well Respected Man, White Room, but there's some people I hadn't heard before like Highway and Max Q. Really liked that Jose Gonzalez Teardrop

Looking forward to the last 10

I've listened to your whole playlist while I've been working today and there isn't a dud amongst them. There's lots of favourites of mine too like The Boxer, Horse with No Name, White Rabbit, Voodoo Chile, A Well Respected Man, White Room, but there's some people I hadn't heard before like Highway and Max Q. Really liked that Jose Gonzalez Teardrop

Looking forward to the last 10
No duds at all?! Wow. Thanks for listening to them all.