Game of Thrones, Season 6

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I've been mentally preparing myself for how much it's gonna suck getting one episode per week.

Think in the grand scheme of things this will be considered a good episode.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
****ing hell ... They did such a pathetic job with Doran Martell and Dorne, its laughable, such a waste. I was really pissed at that scene, he's one of the smartest characters, always in control and with a grander plan. Sand Snakes... Yea, really intelligent and interesting characters, can't wait to see more of them.....

Only interesting part was Castle Black and Sansa. Did anyone else notice how dogs just went away when fighting started? You can putt a spear through someones face or stab a pregnant women but killing a dog is off the table?

If they do bad with Euron Greyjoy then I seriously start lacking any reason to watch, Bran might have interesting story with flashbacks and discovering powers, oh Sansa also, gathering Stark support.

People are being very harsh on this premier. Seems pretty standard to revisit each story line. Not to say it's perfect, but my complaints are a bit of a wider scope. I'm tired of the east. None of those story lines intrigue me. Seeing that port on fire made my heart sink.

A system of cells interlinked
To be clear, I liked the episode and I am glad the show is back. I called out the obvious inconsistencies, well, because they were very obvious.

I am the Watcher in the Night
As with most people, I'm really disappointed with the Dorne story, the direction they've taken with Marcella and Jaime. I just feel, if you want to change things from the books, then at least make it entertaining and interesting.

I have enjoyed the chnages to Sansa and Tyrions story, which just dragged on during the books....but Tyrions end game seemed far more interesting in the last book.

Having said all that, other than the Dorne stupidity, I liked the episode, not great but far from bad. This is however, a season in which it's do or die in my opinion. If it goes 7 episodes of boredom like lats season, I don't think I'll be watching and I have already lost interest in the books.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Dorne stuff looks like it's starting to get interesting in my opinion. There is no one to claim the throne now which leaves it wide open. Clearly she is going to start a war with Westeros. I feel like people were disappointed with the Dorne stuff last year so this is them "starting over".

As for the Red Woman, interesting they show her true image in the last few minutes. Taking off the amulet shows her true self? It glowed red when she took it off, but we HAVE seen her not wearing if once before. So I hope they clear that issue up in future episodes.

I liked it, thought maybe Reek or Sansa would have broken a leg or something, but other than that I liked the setting up of where people are.

Suspect's Reviews

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I think she can take some kind of potion when not wearing amulet, to keep her younger look on. Didn't they try to highlight those potion bottles of some kind when she was taking off her amulet?

Oh and poor Arya.......you dont get training like that at your local tae kwan doe academy.

Danarys story seems disjointed, as does Tyrions. Yeah those ships burning were a huge letdown as now we know what wont be happening.

Yeah one broke leg wouldve been nice, like Reek broke her fall, something! Ah well, at least Lady Brienne finally got to her. I was happy

My theory was that they would be fine jumping off the castle. It's THEIR castle. They probably have a secret spot to jump that's soft or designed so that people can do that in an emergency.

As far as the ships burning.. did you guys actually think she was going to westeros?
I stopped biting on that hook way back in season 2, it's been obvious that's not in the cards anytime soon.

Most interesting development to me was the sansa line, now she finally has some muscle to guard her back.

My theory was that they would be fine jumping off the castle. It's THEIR castle. They probably have a secret spot to jump that's soft or designed so that people can do that in an emergency.
I don't know why I find this so funny, but I do.

Decent opener. Interested in Bran's story right now, would be nice to see him back.

Season 6
EPISODE 1

When Dany is abducted and she's walking alongside the horses. Remember that conversation? Talking about how people with her complexion fear the sun and it burns them. Great use of irony, we're talking about 'the unburnt' herself so I don't think a little sunshine is something she has to worry about Some really great dialogue there.

Something you guys may not have noticed.. when the red woman visits john snows body she is dressed for the weather. Previously we never see her huddled up in clothing, she said she never gets cold because the lords fire fills her. Not anymore? Later she is in her skimpy dress but she is sitting by the fire for warmth. her necklace has a gem that glows red when she takes it off. davos believes in her, he is going to try to convince her to do something in episode 2. I expected this whole jon snow thing wouldn't be resolved right away.. maybe next week

Bad Directing: cersei runs to marcella, runs across a courtyard, banks around some stairs and the mountain is already waiting there standing in place. Did he teleport there? She was running through the courtyard! Does that mean she was unguarded and vulnerable without the mountain by her side, if he is already standing in place waiting by the dock. Probably the director wanted the mountain to seem more imposing and so had him stand still like a statue but it didn't jive for me with what is going on in cersei's life right now.

Tyrion: Talks about ruling the city from a pyramid as a dude walks in the opposite direction. Did he double back and go ahead of them a couple scenes later? It looks like it could be the same person. And then a couple scenes after that... they are being watched by some mysterious figure behind a fence. Looks to me like tyrion was careless and now the bad guys are on to him. a decent setup for next time but not terribly exciting to experience.

Here is the biggest problem with the episode:

Fight vs the bolton men.. ends with stab from behind
Murder of dorne kingsguard.. done with a stab from behind
Death of the prince... done with a stab from behind

Stupid. All 3 fights in one episode ended the same silly way.
There was a fight with Arya and while she didn't get hit from behind, she was blind and so I ask is it really much different?

They could have done a lot better when they killed the king.. obviously..
She stabbed the king right away and then gave her speech as he bled out, there was no tension. No suspense.

If she gave her speech before striking at the king himself the scene would have been more intense.
the way they did it, it was like it was over before it began.

WARNING: "Preview for next week" spoilers below
Ramsey talking about attacking castle black and killing all the crows to get Sansa back. Wicked lol. If the wildlings are there at the same time he'll have bitten off more than he can chew.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Game of plot holes?

*Shrugs*

WARNING: "Game of Thrones - Season 6" spoilers below
Did I miss something or was the prince of Dorne supposed to be on the boat when it left? I thought they said he was going along to King's Landing to sit on the small council? Also, where did the hounds go when Brienne and Pod attacked the Dreadfort people?
THANK YOU. I kept thinking the same thing about Trystane. And he didn't even seem upset about not being taken along, sitting there at the desk.

(Do we need spoilers once the episode has aired?)

Was anyone else not surprised about Mel's true face. I kinda figured she was fake in some way butg men do not see it. I don't think she is evil because ghost likes her. I just think she may have been cold because she has seen too much cruelty and heart ache.

I liked it all very much. I pretty much knew that Jon Snow wouldn't be resurrected in the first episode. Not that I had any inside info...it's just seems like something the show-runners, if they are indeed going to raise him from the dead, wouldn't do it in the opener just to keep people on the hook.

As for Melisandre and her appearance at the end, here's something interesting I got from a blog about when or to whom she appears normal and/or a hag:

Of course, this makes all the more fascinating the show episode (S4E7) where Melisandre is taking a bath without her ruby choker. This scene was not in the books, many wondered if D&D had messed up, but I think the omission was quite deliberate.
The only person to see her like this is Stannis wife Selyse. Selyse has this strange expression the entire time. Like she cannot look directly at Melisandre yet also cannot look away. At first you think it is that of a religious "uptight" person seeing a naked and very sexual woman. But if you rewatch the scene, and "pretend" to yourself that Selyse is seeing Melisandre as she actually appears, it actually fits better. WE still see the seductress, Selyse sees the hag. She is horrified yet fascinated and not at all shocked. She knew all along (just like she knows the true fate of her daughter), Melisandre explains she does not need to use her "tricks" on the true convert (Stannis is NOT a true convert but his wife is) .
When Melisandre explains about her potions, and the potion that makes it so no man can resist her sexually, Selyse almost nods with relief. Did she use this on Stannis? (It would explain so much! she thinks as she stares in horror at the hags body, which still looks very alluring to the viewers.) "I didn't have to," Mel replies. Selyse actually shudders at this thought.
Anyway -- sorry if that was offtopic -- I think the ruby choker is what we might call a "foci" for Mel's magic, including her glamors but also much more. It purified the poison by via a magical means ("burn away").
Rewatch the scene where she takes her bath without the ruby choker, and this time, picture Selyse seeing the hag in its true form but still its obedient servant.
"If they are lies milady, aren't they best avoided?" Selyse refers to Melisandre's illusion of a sexual temptress. "Not always," Mel replies. When she discusses "the trick that led them to the truth," she is talking to Selyse as someone who has crossed over that line, into the true believer camp. She does not need to use ruby chokers with Selyse.
I think it's clear the missing choker in the bathe scene, was not an oversight but instead was a clue for us. Mel uses tricks with most, she uses none with Selyse. It also means that Selyse is not acting under any charms, any illusions, any "ruby choker" magic mind tricks, when she agrees to take her daughter to the Wall. She already knows the truth.
She has already seen the hag for what it is, and she thanks The Lord of Light for sending Melisandre to them.

I'll add this about Melisandre,,,she didn't seem in any way surprised by her old hag appearance, so it's fairly obvious it's not a new thing to her. She simply looks a bit at the reflection, then climbs into bed. I wonder about this. Some people have noticed that she is more bundled up than usual, as if experiencing the cold for the first time or the first time in a long time. Could it be her faith has been shaken? She saw Stannis as this great deliverer foretold by legend, yet that vision didn't come true. She also saw Jon Snow fighting at Winterfell: another vision failed. Whatever the case of the old hag version of Melisandre, I think she's feeling like some of her power has been taken away. Why else would she crawl into bed instead of trying to help Davos and co.? He believes in her power. Maybe she's doubting it at exactly the wrong time.

And about the hounds...they were pulled back and denied a taste of Theon and Sansa so they were ticked off and went back to noshing on Ramsay's dead girlfriend. Or, they were scared spitless by Brienne's ferocity and just ran away. Or, as has been said, it's a show mistake.

Watch for yourself and judge, I think that blog is full of it....
If she saw her as she really is... how would she even recognize her?

Because she has company that is why she asks for the blue vial.
And why she makes a joke after using it.. to cover up it's real purpose.

The only time she has ever told a joke on the show. and perhaps her only lie.

And they also show a blue vial on on the desk in S6E1 as she sets down the necklace.

Was anyone else not surprised about Mel's true face. I kinda figured she was fake in some way butg men do not see it. I don't think she is evil because ghost likes her. I just think she may have been cold because she has seen too much cruelty and heart ache.

She burned a little girl alive. She is the cruelty and heartache.