R.I.P. James Horner, Oscar and Grammy-winning Composer

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just read that composer James Horner died in a plane crash a few days ago.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/23...ad-plane-crash

Oscar-winning composer James Horner confirmed dead after plane crash

The Oscar- and Grammy-winning Titanic composer James Horner died in a private plane crash in Santa Barbara, California, on Monday. Horner, who composed music for more than 150 films and television series, was 61.

Horner crashed his single-engine plane in Cuyama, California, north of Santa Barbara on Monday morning. The crash started a one-acre brush fire and one fatality was found at the site, Ventura County Fire Department Public Information Officer Capt. Mike Lindbery confirmed.

While Horner is perhaps best known for scoring James Cameron’s 1997 Titanic and co-writing the film’s theme song, “My Heart Will Go On,” his work was ubiquitous on the big screen, with credits including The Amazing Spider-Man, A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart and dozens more.

Born Aug. 15, 1953 in Los Angeles, Horner spent his early years in London, training at the Royal College of Music. He went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in music at the University of Southern California before completing his master’s and Ph.D. at UCLA, where he taught music theory. His earliest work included composing scores for student films, and for Roger Corman B-movies including The Lady in Red and Battle Beyond the Stars.

But Horner’s big break came with 1982’s Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which paved the way for a slew of high-profile projects, including the Eddie Murphy comedy 48 Hrs., Ron Howard’s Cocoon and Leonard Nimoy’s feature directorial debut, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. The prolific composer earned a pair of Academy Award nominations for his work on two very different 1986 films: Don Bluth’s animated immigration story An American Tail, and Aliens, James Cameron’s sequel to Ridley Scott’s science-fiction masterpiece.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oh, I do feel bad about this because he was one of my favorite film composers. The scores to "Field of Dreams" and "Glory" were two of my top favorites.

And it is odd, I suppose, but the only one that I wasn't fond of was the "Titanic" score. I just did not like it. I would've taken "Somewhere Out There" over "My Heart Will Go On" any day.

Anyway, that really is too bad.

Yes, the music from "Star Trek II" is great.

But these are my two favorite choices of his (and I think I posted another from "Glory" in another thread a few days ago).

Horner was second only to John Williams to be completely honest... but one thing I will say, Horner has a much more diverse range.
Williams, you can tell it's Williams. He has very specific little touches that you can pick out... Horner's music changes dramatically from movie to movie.
I think the only time it didn't, was 48 Hours and Commando where he used pretty much the same sheet music for both movies.

Horner was second only to John Williams to be completely honest... but one thing I will say, Horner has a much more diverse range.
Williams, you can tell it's Williams. He has very specific little touches that you can pick out... Horner's music changes dramatically from movie to movie.
I think the only time it didn't, was 48 Hours and Commando where he used pretty much the same sheet music for both movies.

I think Jerry Goldsmith is another composer who's up there with both Horner and Williams.

It's just hit me for some reason. I've actually just shed a little tear, feeling a bit heartbroken.

I haven't cried at news like this for a while. I didn't even cry at Attenborough's or Christopher Lee's deaths.
I guess I didn't realise how much I liked Horner's work until now, even though I was including him in a list.

We've lost a great composer.

I think Jerry Goldsmith is another composer who's up there with both Horner and Williams.
I actually really like Patrick Doyle.

It's just hit me for some reason. I've actually just shed a little tear, feeling a bit heartbroken.

I haven't cried at news like this for a while. I didn't even cry at Attenborough's or Christopher Lee's deaths.
I guess I didn't realise how much I liked Horner's work until now, even though I was including him in a list.

We've lost a great composer.

I was very surprised that there wasn't already a thread about James Horner before I posted it.

The last death that hit me hard like this was Robin Williams, but I think that may have had something to do with the fact that he committed suicide. I was really in shock over that.

Tbh I prefer Ennio Morricone and Bernard Hermann to Horner. You are right though, one of the best.

RIP

Yeah Robin Williams was really sad news. I think the last celeb death I had a cry to was Michael Jackson. I was devastated when he died.

I guess I need to get my list sorted out then and get it posted at some point.

Yeah Robin Williams was really sad news. I think the last celeb death I had a cry to was Michael Jackson. I was devastated when he died.

I guess I need to get my list sorted out then and get it posted at some point.
So was my mum, about Jackson I mean. The last time a celebrities death really saddened me was James Gandolfini

I feel bad about a lot of people, but I think Michael Jackson was the one that hit me the hardest. I suppose I can admit that I got emotional over him. Or, rather, I let my emotions be known to others.

I actually got into trouble on a forum when Jackson died.

I was a Mod on the site and there was the obligatory RIP thread for him that descended into a load of p*ss taking so I locked the thread.
I got removed from the Mod list and banned from the site.

It was a bit Hitler-ish that site though.

I actually got into trouble on a forum when Jackson died.

I was a Mod on the site and there was the obligatory RIP thread for him that descended into a load of p*ss taking so I locked the thread.
I got removed from the Mod list and banned from the site.

It was a bit Hitler-ish that site though.
I suppose your situation was worse considering your Mod position (I probably would've done the same thing). What happened to me, though, was my decision. I was on this site for a long time. I was actually out-of-town when he died. So I didn't see anything online or anything (at the time I had nothing for internet access away from home - I barely even used my phone for that). When I got home I saw a thread that was about him and let's just assume it contained everything that your site had on it as far as the negativity. So, I just decided to quit. I literally stopped going there in an instant (like I said, a site that I was very active on for a long time) because I couldn't take it. It was ridiculous and unnecessary. OK. Some people didn't like him and thought he was weird. But the man JUST died. Give it a rest! And there were countless other things that just did NOT need to be said.