Tomorrow's hint:

The ink is rarer
Than the trees
The pen is mightier
But the paper frees
Schindler's List and Citizen Kane are my guesses

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Black Christmas probably suffered from the title and setting.
Even back in the 70s, people were quick to dismiss a movie based on actors, directors, basic premise.
Some may have thought it was a Yaphet Kotto vehicle.

I see that this beats Halloween by a few years, but I honestly had never heard of it and had to go look it up. Is this worth watching for reasons *other* than comparing it to Halloween?
Yes, I think it's an excellent horror film of the time. Much more mood-oriented than gore. Very creepy.

And Halloween is deservedly iconic. But what's due is due.

Yes, I think it's an excellent horror film of the time. Much more mood-oriented than gore. Very creepy.

And Halloween is deservedly iconic. But what's due is due.
It's such a good movie, I'm glad the movie topped The Exorcist on this list , imo Halloween is better then The Exorcist in every way

It's such a good movie, I'm glad the movie topped The Exorcist on this list , imo Halloween is better then The Exorcist in every way
Calm down.

oh I'm calm for sure, I'm just saying, I think Halloween is a better movie then The Exorcist, it's even better then Black Christmas

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Halloween is the movie that made me love horror.

The Paper Chase didn't even make the 1970s list of 100.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Oh, how exciting! I voted for Halloween I actually had around 3 Carpenter films on my list which surprised even me.

I caught it on NYE, they were showing it on telly here, they often do show a horror film or two I've noticed and I did think that if it wasn't for the score then it wouldn't be tense or effective. In my delusional mind he saw Suspiria, realised how effective music could be in horrors, and created another iconic soundtrack

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Halloween for the horror countdown, but I just don't get what people see in the movie. I found it boring and predictable.

I've seen Unforgiven a few times, and while it's not a favorite movie, it's by far my favorite of Clint Eastwood's western movies. While I considered it for my top westerns list, it wasn't even a thought for me for this list.

Unforgiven was my #1. My favorite film since I first saw in the theater all those years ago. The script by David Webb Peoples is incredible, the casting is incredible, and Clint Eastwood shines as director like never before. Us fans of his knew he had it in him, but here he takes a script that had personal significance to him and he really elevates his game. It’s not just a revisionist western playing with and subverting various western tropes, but it’s also a comment on the film industry itself, one in which Eastwood himself had found fame in as a star of violent action movies. It is also a comment on society at large for its desire to consume romanticize violence. In Unforgiven we’re given a rare glimpse, for a western, of the consequences of violence, on the victims and the perpetrators. It begins with a violent attack on a woman, in this case a lowly prostitute, and it’s the women’s reaction which set in motion the chain of events that lead to a the violent gun fight at the end, which is shown not as a noble shootout, but a grim and ugly moment when the anti-hero literally blows off the head of the ruthless sheriff as he lies wounded on the floor of a saloon. It’s clumsy and brutal, and we the audience have no doubt Beauchamp, the writer of cheap thrillers who witnessed the scene, will do his best to glorify and profit off of it.

A brilliant film, showing what is possible even in a genre film. And it’s not completely downer film, as it’s loaded with humor and memorable lines.

My List:
1. Unforgiven (#43)
3. North by Northwest (#57)
15. Metropolis (#73)
21. Enter the Dragon (#97)
24. There Will Be Blood (#60)
25. Persona (#45)

Being a huge Eastwood fan, I loved Unforgiven but didn't include it, instead making room for another Eastwood film I love better.

Halloween is a great movie but for some reason I loved the hospital-set sequel, Halloween II more, which had the spooky dark hospital halls, the implements for murder right at Michael Meyers' disposal and a terrific finale which wrapped everything up neatly for me, until the numerous sequels and reboots came along. Didn't make my list either.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63

The last part of the clue suggests The Shawshank Redemption to me, but not sure on what the other film could be.
Like a few others, I'm leaning more towards Schindler's List. You know, ink... frees... the list. Who knows, though, with that devious Yoda fellow.