The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

If that's the point, there's no doubt people misinterpret films all the time. And align themselves with characters for the wrong reasons. There are lots of reasons this can potentially happen and many might do the same thing about Harold and Maude. But I can barely speak for myself, so I can't fret too much over how other people take things. I only try and articulate how I've intererpreted something, and in this case, I'm just trying to talk about how I don't have any issues with overlooking the bad behaviour of characters in some films.
Just in case there was any doubt, I strongly agree. Obviously the phrase "some films" is eliding actual disagreements in method and/or degree, but so it goes.

But yes, absolutely. I wouldn't watch The Fast and the Furious and complain that car theft is wrong, damn it, wrong. Of course, I wouldn't watch it at all, but if I did, I wouldn't object to it on those grounds.

Just in case there was any doubt, I strongly agree. Obviously the phrase "some films" is eliding actual disagreements in method and/or degree, but so it goes.

But yes, absolutely. I wouldn't watch The Fast and the Furious and complain that car theft is wrong, damn it, wrong. Of course, I wouldn't watch it at all, but if I did, I wouldn't object to it on those grounds.

Yes, but miscommunication is the fuel that allows me to go on and on and on.

Let's continue to pretend we don't understand eachother and are in utter disagreement

*readies fingers for yet another unneccessary essay about morality and film*

My question is why is it a problem to blur the lines between these things. Why should we know exactly how to feel about a character? I'm general more curious about why we need our heroes to be avatars for good, and our villains to only be something to be held in revulsion. Fiction is a safe place for us to think about the reflexive feelings we have about things. About what makes Scarface a hero, when he's clearly one of the most depraved figures in modern cinema. Or why R Lee Ermey is loved for his psychopathic mistreatment of soldiers.

You remove these ambiguities and moral conundrums, you erase these discussions.
I can agree with that. I'm mostly just summarizing the crux of the disagreement in this discussion.

Lost In Translation was my first thought as well, of course. Since Yoda is MAKING us guess two I will go Rashamon

Lost in Translation

I've got a hundred guesses for "made in Japan." That's one of them. Actually, I'm gonna pull a unique one and say it's one of the Toy Story movies, likely the third because Buzz is made in Japan, and the next one might likely be a Ghibli movie. I'm gonna guess Grave of the Fireflies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sansho the Bailiff & Red Beard
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Eternal Sunshine is definitely one of my favourite films. Innovative, surprising, moving, memorable, heartbreaking, heartwarming.

I think it just missed out on my list. Very surprised to see it ranked this low. 25 films is not enough dammit!

We should each submit our top 100 and have an epic countdown of the Top 500 Films! It would only be a few more lines on the Excel spreadsheet; easy right?
Very late to the party on these two:

Eternal Sunshine” is a good film with a tricky story and phenomenal editing. The “erase memory” theme was poking its head up for awhile in the early 21st Century, ahead of the popular time travel stories. And once the viewer got the hang of which episodic changes that the couple were in, it became fairly gratifying.

For me the moderate deficiency in the film was that the depth of love that the two shared was not developed substantially enough, more than a romance, to justify all the repeated angst that came after it. Also it was somewhat obscure to me why the Winslet character wanted to erase memory of the Carey character in the first place. Still, this was a unique film with good acting and excellent production.

Rosemary’s Baby is an innovative film which pre-dates The Excorsist and other Satanic themed films. It’s really a mystery/thriller/comedy more so than a horror film. The heavyweight cast comes through with convincing portrayals in an unlikely story-- a few, e.g. Ralph Bellamy, playing against type. And where could one find a “horror” film which builds to such a warm hearted ending?

I need a Hana-Bi / Zatoichi combo for maximum happiness.

Hana-Bi I love.

Zatoichi....less so. CGI blood is just impossible for me to deal with. It's honestly the only cut and dry opinion I have in art

RULE 1) Don't CGI my ****ing blood!

There is no rule 2

Hana-Bi I love.

Zatoichi....less so. CGI blood is just impossible for me to deal with. It's honestly the only cut and dry opinion I have in art

RULE 1) Don't CGI my ****ing blood!

There is no rule 2
Rule 2 is that you don't talk about fight club.

Rule 2 is that you don't talk about fight club.

Shush! You're talking about it.

I'm sure there will be more than enough time to talk about Fight Club in our future

Shush! You're talking about it.

I'm sure there will be more than enough time to talk about Fight Club in our future
Btw, make sure not to talk about me with other people as I don't want you to realize we're the same perso...Actually, forget I said that.