Great Actor Who Was In MANY Bad Movies?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Richard Burton, but then he was quite open about not having much interest in being a great actor. Michael Caine's done a few duffers as well for the sake of the money.

I suppose of course that some of these films might have seemed great on paper but become distorted either in rewrites or edits that they become bad films.
Ha - I'm watching an awful movie with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. It's so bad, I could surf the web and not miss a thing. "Divorce His, Divorce Hers"

These names come to mind:

Sylvester Stallone (As a huge fan, I have to admit, he's done a large number of stinkers throughout his career, some of which I personally enjoyed even though I knew deep inside that they were just really bad. He's been in a good number of quality films though so it's obvious he can deliver the goods but chooses so often to be in crappy films, which makes me wonder what is wrong with him?)

Nicolas Cage (In the 80's and 90's, Cage was on a roll. With the exception of just a few films from 2000 onwards, Nicolas seems to have been intentionally picking the worst scripts that come his way.)

Kevin Costner (In the late 80's and early 90's, he was 'untouchable' (pun intended), but then something happened -The Postman? -and his star power fizzled and then it was one very forgettable film and performance after another.)

John Cusack (I've always loved John. An extremely underused, overlooked, underrated actor. He should be in the same class as Tom Hanks and Michael Keaton are today -lovable actors from the 80's who have turned into respectable elder statesmen, who deliver one amazing performance after another, of sorts today - instead, Cusack is stuck in the Direct-To-Video category which really sucks.)

John Travolta (He was on top in the 70's, slumped for the most part in the 80's, came back to the top in the 90's thanks to a Quentin Tarantino, slumped again the 00's. Hopefully, Quentin will come knocking again very soon...)
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Eric Roberts, he's talented but he'll take any and every role that comes his way.

Make a better place
I totally agree with TheUsualSuspect Nic Cage Is definitely number 1 in that category

If an actor has a looooong career there are bound to be just as many duds as good, if not more. I didn't read all of the thread, but I didn't see a mention of John Travolta. He has turned into a parody now. And from what I know, he doesn't have the excuse of financial trouble to hide behind like Cage. That Scientology stuff really messes with the brain.

If an actor has a looooong career there are bound to be just as many duds as good, if not more. I didn't read all of the thread, but I didn't see a mention of John Travolta. He has turned into a parody now. And from what I know, he doesn't have the excuse of financial trouble to hide behind like Cage. That Scientology stuff really messes with the brain.
Travolta made my list

John Cusack. I remember seeing The Grifters many years ago and getting excited about what Cusack would achieve in his career but most of his output has been dire.

I totally agree with TheUsualSuspect Nic Cage Is definitely number 1 in that category
Anybody who needs proof needs to see Color Out of Space.

I'm not sure that Cage was ever that good, I can't help thinking that we just hadn't caught on to him early on. With Color, I could not help thinking that he'd decided on his legacy and wanted to really take it to another level.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Sharon Stone. Several bad movies, but she does a really good job in them.

After "The Formula" (which had its moments, fine writing, some good ad-libbing from Marlon - "We are the Arabs"), he only made one more movie in the 80s, "A Dry White Season", but then went to do anything just for the money. It's too bad...

Marlon Brando was a great actor, but he made a lot of crappy movies. And I'm surprised no one else mentioned him, but two time Oscar winner Michael Caine has made a lot of crap as well.

Russell Crowe

I've been a big fan for 20 years but even forgiving the crap he did early in his career (hey, a man's gotta work), he still has **** like The Man With the Iron Fists, Noah, Winter's Tale, and Man of Steel to answer for.

His next film, Unhinged, looks particularly awful.

Nicolas Cage has to be the champ. He's been in so many scenery-chewing roles that he's The King. Some months back, I bought a copy of the long-awaited Color Out of Space and this tops it all. I don't really know if he's a "great" actor, but he definitely holds the record for bad ones and Color Out of Space confirmed it.