Top 5 of Hitchcock

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I noticed how out of all of Hitchcock's movies, unless I am wrong, only three of them were remade by other filmmakers. A Perfect Murder, Rear Window, and Psycho, but all the remakes all came out in 1998. Is that a coincidence, or was there a reason for this such as A Perfect Murder going into production first, inspiring other filmmakers to want to remake others that same year?

Well I watched Foreign Correspondent. It was pretty good for a Hitchcock, movie, I just didn't really buy the love story as the man and woman agreed to get married so fast, when the plot was so busy, they didn't really seem to have enough time to fall in love. But other than that a good Hitchcock movie for sure.

I noticed how out of all of Hitchcock's movies, unless I am wrong, only three of them were remade by other filmmakers. A Perfect Murder, Rear Window, and Psycho, but all the remakes all came out in 1998. Is that a coincidence, or was there a reason for this such as A Perfect Murder going into production first, inspiring other filmmakers to want to remake others that same year?

You are wrong

Notorioous (1992)
Lifepad (1993)
Rebecca (1997)
Flightplan (2005)
The Lodger (2009)

Oh okay, but does Lifepad, Flightplan and The Lodger count, since they are more like inspirations rather than direct remakes, with the same titles?

Oh okay, but does Lifepad, Flightplan and The Lodger count, since they are more like inspirations rather than direct remakes, with the same titles?

I mean that's getting into an entirely different situation. But we've had quite a few Hitchcock remakes those are just the ones I've seen.

Well after watching Psycho again, it's still pretty good, but it's not as good as I remember, so I think I will knock it off my top 5 maybe. I also tried watching Rebecca, but I kept getting lost as to what was actually going on. I've been having trouble sleeping lately, so I think I just need to watch it on a day, when I am really awake.

Well after watching Psycho again, it's still pretty good, but it's not as good as I remember, so I think I will knock it off my top 5 maybe. I also tried watching Rebecca, but I kept getting lost as to what was actually going on. I've been having trouble sleeping lately, so I think I just need to watch it on a day, when I am really awake.
Rebecca was a fine film, but just not great Hitchcock. David O. Selznick severely restricted Hitchcock's input, although Hitchcock was able to insert some of the best parts of the film while Selznick was busy with Gone With the Wind. For example Selznick had stupidly wanted to spell out in smoke the letter "R" over the burning mansion. But Hitch came back and replaced it with a burning monogrammed "R" negligee box laying on top of a pillow. He shot only the film that was necessary, which limited Selznick's ability to come back and edit.

~Doc

Oh okay, that's interesting. It certainly doesn't feel like the average Hitchcock film.

One thing I noticed about Hitchcock's movies or at some of least his murder thrillers, is that the protagonist is often legally screwed, but the supporting detective character comes in to save the day, rather than the protagonist saving themselves. This is done in Frenzy, Rear Window, Dial M For Murder, I Confess, and The Wrong Man so far.

Was there a reason why Hitchcock seemed to repeat this rather than having the hero prove his or her own cases and save themselves?