Tools    

Anyone interested in this? I think the release date has been put back, but it looks interesting, especially with Cameron helming.

[EDIT] Very good but fake fan made trailer below

That trailer is so fan-made, because there hasn't been an official trailer released yet. Even if the fan-made trailer is pretty cool. I'm pretty much looking forward to it though, because of how revolutionary that it's supposed to be with it's special effects. I'm really more impressed with how hyped it's gotten and there hasn't even been a trailer released for it yet. It's pretty impressive. My best guess for a trailer is that he's waiting for comic-con to show it. I still think he's cutting it pretty close for a December release date.

I just checked, and it's official: the first 3-D footage of the movie will be premired at Comic-Con by Cameron. You had me excited when I clicked into this thread, too, because I thought they finally had released the teaser. It's sort of pointless to release a teaser now, with Avatar coming out in only 6 months. They should just release a full theatrical trailer.

Anyone interested in this?
Oh yeah. I've read every article about it in Total Film magazine, I've read the whole Wikipedia page on it. I don't think I've ever been so hyped about a movie.

Yeah, it's stunning to consider how little we have on this film. We're 6 months away from a $200 million movie which utilizes groundbreaking technology, and is being directed by James Cameron, and is a full decade since his last non-documentary film, Titanic, which shattered box office records...and we don't have a flippin' teaser yet. That's unheard of.

I don't mean this in a negative sense. The secrecy seems very deliberate...they're obviously going to completely bombard us in the months leading up to the release, I assume. It's just amazing how close we are to such a huge "event"-type film, with just a few scattered stills and rough plot details.

He showed the first 14 minutes (I think that's how long it was) at an audience in Holland and it got a standing ovation.
Yeah that's because Cameron put drawing pins on the seats and itching powder in the popcorn

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, back in the pre-Net days, almost nobody had any idea what Close Encounters of the Third Kind was about. Sure, it had something to do with contact with aliens, but that was it, almost right up to the day of release.

Yeah, it's stunning to consider how little we have on this film. We're 6 months away from a $200 million movie which utilizes groundbreaking technology, and is being directed by James Cameron, and is a full decade since his last non-documentary film, Titanic, which shattered box office records...and we don't have a flippin' teaser yet. That's unheard of.
Yeah, it is a bit dodgy how there is little to nothing on the film yet. But i'm still a bit confused by this whole 3D thing. I mean, apparently it's meant to be groundbreaking and something 'we've never ever seen before', but from my basic understanding of it, they are using the same technology as the one used for Beowolf, which wouldn't exactly make it that 'groundbreaking' now would it? I'm sure it's going to look pretty but really, is 3D really going to give it the heightened experience that Cameron seeks? Unless i've lost the plot and there is something else at play here?

I don't think it's the same technology, exactly, though it's definitely similar. There's some sort of virtual camera that lets him "shoot" things in the digital world in real-time (or at least, that's what Cameron says). That, and the technology is supposed to be that much better and, I think, mixed with live action at points.

The 3D, as you mention, has been a big selling point. Cameron's said that most 3D films are too gimmicky, and he's convinced that a subtler approach will become the new standard. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm not really worried about the fact that we don't have anything yet...I'm more just intrigued by how unusual that is, and how tightly it's being kept under wraps. ComicCon is in just a couple weeks, though, and I assume the footage shown there will find its way out, either through a leak or some kind of official release. At least, I hope so. When it starts showing up on the web and in theaters, I imagine a lot of moviegoers will start wondering why they hadn't heard of it before.

I don't think it's the same technology, exactly, though it's definitely similar. There's some sort of virtual camera that lets him "shoot" things in the digital world in real-time (or at least, that's what Cameron says). That, and the technology is supposed to be that much better and, I think, mixed with live action at points.

The 3D, as you mention, has been a big selling point. Cameron's said that most 3D films are too gimmicky, and he's convinced that a subtler approach will become the new standard. Who knows.
I see. Well hopefully it turns out to be as good as it sounds. I still think that shooting in IMAX is the future, but hey, maybe Cameron really has found something special here.

I love James Cameron, he's made a handful of great movies.
But this whole secretive, GROUNDBREAKING Avatar talk is just ridiculous. Fanboys around the world are girrating in their seats just cuz Cameron says he's making another movie, and one that will "change how movies are made". pllease. its just buzz, since he's been out of the loop for so long.
I'm interested as much as everyone else, but not freakin praising this movie already and putting it on imaginary TOP TEN LISTS ALREADY. christ.
The teaser poster i saw a couple months ago, was really confusing/dissapointing too. Here we are, years in the making, breaththrough hype...and we get a pic of some person's blue face with dots in it, resembling a spfx guy dressed in blue with dots on the costume. seriously? am i wrong? the premise sounds good though..i'll give it a shot. Hopefully they don't delay it any further, cuz December feels right around the corner..

It's "buzz," but that doesn't mean there isn't anything to it, either. I'm sure everyone agrees that people putting it on any kind of list is silly, but I don't find the hype to be at all ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that the hype isn't somewhat warranted.

Cameron's track record shows that he consistently produces genuinely groundbreaking films, particularly in regards to visual effects. From the water effects in The Abyss, to Aliens, to the T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and obviously Titanic. It sounds like a cliche, but the guy really does push the limits of the technology available to him. He knows a little something about groundbreaking effects, so when he says his next film will have them, I'm inclined to believe him. My opinion isn't changed by the fact that he hasn't made a film in awhile; I'm not sure why this would put him "out of the loop" or render his opinion of what constitutes amazing effects meaningless. And let's keep in mind that his last film broke scads of box office records and won Best Picture. It makes sense that his next non-documentary film, more than a decade later, would be received with great anticipation.

As for the poster: what were you expecting? A 3D poster of a giant, epic battlefield? Little people living inside it? It's a poster, it's not going to blow your mind. It's not supposed to.

Banned from Hollywood.
Groundbreaking comments about his forthcoming film...again

Anticipation from millions of viewers...again

Come december the film will be #1 in the box office for months...again

Cameron will make sh*tloads of money, and everyone will be happy...again

Here we are, years in the making, breaththrough hype...and we get a pic of some person's blue face with dots in it, resembling a spfx guy dressed in blue with dots on the costume.
Thought I'd paste this in so people can see what you're talking about. Funny...I kinda' like it.