Pyro's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

5. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, 2001)

TIE

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Peter Jackson, 2002)

TIE

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King(Peter Jackson, 2003)

It would be rude to seperate the three films into individual films considering the back to back shooting and the continous story. From the humble introductions in the beautiful Shire to the explosive finale in Mount Doom. This is the epitome of epic. As a child, Lord of the Rings were the only books i could never actually put down once i started reading, the two interwoven stories of Frodo and Aragorn are incredible and beautifully written. When Fellowship was released, i only remember being blown away by it at the cinema having heard no information concerning it prior. After this i was hooked, i got both DVDs and bitterly anticipated the next installments, never once was i concerned about Jackson's ability to do the novel justice, he had already proved himself. Although there are a few mismatches, for one i was disappointed about the movement of Shelob, it works perfectly.

Each has their own highlight, from effects, to story, character relationships you name it, every aspect of film making shines at least once. The Extended Editions are by far the best, though rather long running times, the extra character development and insight is well worth it. Middle Earth is given life in New Zealand, and it's totally believable with the wonderfully crafted sets and stunning visuals. Some of the cast may have been cause for concern, i would never have though Elijah Wood could pull off such a role, but he does, and so does everyone else, except for Viggo Mortensen who looks more like the King of Fairies then of Men. Ian Mckellen's Gandalf and the 4 Hobbits more than fulfil their roles, even Orlando Bloom, does well. Though most will remember Andy Serkis as the troubled guide, Gollum. The are many other characters to be mentioned such as Christopher Lee's Saruman, Ian Holm's Bilbo and especially Sean Astin's Sam, some other favourites- the list goes on.

The films also marked a landmark in terms of CGI. I'm not always convinced by films using excessive CGI which often looks out of the place and un-necessary but Lord of the Rings uses it so magnificent effect. The legions of orcs and soldiers couldn't be done any other way, and it works as it's used in restraint and doesn't get in the way of story or anything else, sometimes even as an integral part of the story, i.e. Gollum. The ents were a bit hit and miss, though fault lays in design, they come to life on screen alongside flesh actors.

I'm sure everyone has seen the films anyway, so there's no need for me to express my feelings anymore. The way cinema is going, and the studios increasing desire to use film for profit over artistic values, this is the level they should working at, it manages to be artful while cleaning up the box-office. Huge undertaking, huge achievement

4. Alien (Ridley Scott, 1979) TIE Aliens (James Cameron, 1986)

A landmark science fiction horror film that remains one of the all time scariest film around, even after 26 years. Although the alien is a man in a rubber suit, he's left in the shadows and a full shots are held back, giving a greater fear of the unseen. The mood of the film and the alien's killing of the Nostromo crew is suitably tense and thrilling. Ian Holm as the android and Sigourney Weaver as the seminal heroine are good, but John Hurt's chestbursting scene is probably the scene that i'll remember. The antidote to all the CGI horror films around, a true classic.

If Alien was the great horror film, then this is the great action film. Sigourney Weaver returns as a real bad ass along with a team of space marines. Although the marines serve primarily as alien fodder, they're all lovable and well formed characters, each with their own charm. Micheal Biehn as Hicks, Bill Paxton as Hudson and Lance Henriksen as gentle andriod Bishop flesh out an above form action epic. Again, no CGI and thank god, the effects and the weapons, even the iffy exterior shots are all well crafted, and the pace and tension during keeps me on the edge of my seat everytime.

Welcome to the human race...
Why can't he post them ten at a time or something. I want answers!

3. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (Sam Raimi, 1987)

The greatest horror film, the blackest comedy, all thanks to Bruce Campbell, who really does shine brighter than any other actor in any other film. The film is Ash, none of the other characters hold any weight or relevance, he even takes a turn at being zombie.

And the man has a talent for pyshical violence. When his hand gets possessed and attacks himself, via crockery and flips, it bloody funny, though not as funny as him hacking it off with his trademark chainsaw, a moment which is then enhanced with him attaching the chainsaw to his bloody stump of an arm and uttering the immortal line "groovy".

The laughs keep flowing as much as the blood, which even bursts out of the walls and to see a man fight with his hand is a rare gem. There are other characters, but we know, as in any other horror movie, they won't last, their deaths aren't particularly spectactular though. The cellar zombie, who is the main villian, played by brother of Sam, Ted, is the best zombie around even though holes in the costume are evident.

The film's narrative isn't really worth bothering with. The beginning serves as a re-shot recap of the predecessor, the middle is the highlight with Ash's cabin fever, and the climax is quite disappointing, bar the final twist, setting up Army of Darkness nicely.

Never the less, it's still a classic film, for Campbells epic peformance, his growing insanity and heroism. Also, let's not forget Sam Raimi's ingenious direction and quirky shots to give the film it's polishing touch not to mention his unrelenting abuse of Bruce from behind the scenes. One of the most enjoyable films for anytime, regardless if you're a horror fan, it's not as graphic or crude as Evil Dead but it's not as camp as Army of Darkness. A great balance and two great talents.

2. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Pretty much a love it or hate it film, clearly i'm in the first group. Personally, i don't think, no matter how many times you watch this, it can ever be understood, whether that's because Lynch is in an insane genius or due to the less interesting explanation, that it was originally intended as a TV series pilot. Either way, it's open to many interpretations, every time i watch it i find another moment which needs explaining, and sometimes it makes me doubt whether my entire understanding is correct. The two leads are beautiful and thank god they get it on for our viewing pleasure, it's full of odball characters and eccentrics open for analysis. Every shot is purposeful, anyone willing to give themselves time to attempt to unravel a logical explanation will slowly fall in awe at this stunning achievement of cinema.

1. Oldboy (Chan Wook Park, 2003)

A Korean tale of revenge, Oh Daesu is imprisoned for seemingly no reason, years laters he's released with the task of finding out why he was jailed. There's too many things i like about this film to do it justice in a short write-up, the premise is cool, the acting is awesome, the twists are rather controversial and the little action is incredible. The one shot fight scene is far more enjoyable than Lucas' expensive sabre duels.

The scenes of torture are not done to excess, yet they revel in the pain- DIY dentistry with a hammer. Oh Daesu's transformation in character to a monster makes it hard to empathise, but when his tenderness is shown with Mido, and the effects of his imprisonment become evident he becomes more of a sympathetic hero. The end in the skyscraper is one of the best endings in any film, the impact the twists has almost made me feel nauseas, plus the action and build up; it's all directed with such flair. Despite loosing some of the punch on repeated viewing, it's left a LONG lasting impression with me to this day.

and there we have it,...the greatest movie list ever told...

And i'm done. A lot of the TIEs are there because i forgot to include them in my original draft, there's still some i need to add in- The French Connection, Jurassic Park and Miss Congeniality to name a few. Any feedback would be cool.

Man of La Movies
No disrespect...it's a great list, but usually, when you have ties, you skip the numbers right before that...for instance, if you have 3 movies tied for first, as you do, the next number is 4th place. Otherwise, some great films, and some that I have admittedly not seen...now they're on my list, though

Arresting your development
Nicely done, Pyro. Thanks for taking the time to bless this thread. I like how you added your own little style to the list... it gives the list some of your character.

Originally Posted by samq79
No disrespect...it's a great list, but usually, when you have ties, you skip the numbers right before that...for instance, if you have 3 movies tied for first, as you do, the next number is 4th place. Otherwise, some great films, and some that I have admittedly not seen...now they're on my list, though
Yeah, but i added the ties in after i'd writen the list and starting posting it. I've included LOTR as a single film, which it kinda is.

Thanks Anon and Blister

Man of La Movies
Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Yeah, but i added the ties in after i'd writen the list and starting posting it. I've included LOTR as a single film, which it kinda is.

Thanks Anon and Blister
Ok...that makes more sense...as I said, though...great list

A system of cells interlinked
Good work Pyro. I am slowly working on mine, too!

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Sedai
Good work Pyro. I am slowly working on mine, too!
Top 100?

Can't wait to peep this out.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just recently saw old boy as well, it changes my list dramatically.

Good choices. Great to see Evil Dead II so high.

Suspect's Reviews

Interesting list Pyro, quite a few i have never seen, i have added them to my must see list, great work.

Welcome to the human race...
To quote that bearded guy from Clerks, "That's beautiful man..."

Fortunately I've finished my list, it should be coming to the forums soon!