Coronavirus

Tools    

And the common cold is caused by another family of virus the Rhinoviruses.
This is why I try not to get too close to rhinos - it's really not the giant horns or the fact that they're 2 tons of charging fury.

Your right of course. I meant colds. The coronavirus family is immense and a vast number of colds come from them. We just don't hear a ton about them until they really start killing people.
Yes, you're right about that

I once heard the reason they can't 'cure the common cold' is because unlike the flu virus, the cold coronavirus family mutates so quickly that as soon as a vaccine would be developed another strain would pop up.

So I hope the new Covid-19 vaccine is effective against the different strains of Covid. I've read mixed thoughts on that. I even read some experts who think we might need to have a yearly Covid shot, like how we know get a yearly flu shot. Of course the amount of profit big pharma is going to make off all those Covid vaccine shots is insane.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Covid influence: Netflix now has a very weak selection. I bought Amazon Prime just to have something different to watch. Theatres are closed. I came back here to find some movie inspiration. Maybe I'll find something older, obscure, that isn't affected by covid delays.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I'm rewatching "The Shield" on amazon, its been many years.

Never watched it.
Lucky you. Get it watched.

One of the all time great TV shows imo.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Thx, that'll fill up some time. I rewatched The Commish, not too long ago, so, it might be something I end up liking.

Totally agree. Recently re-watched for the 3rd time.

I even read some experts who think we might need to have a yearly Covid shot, like how we know get a yearly flu shot.
I’d be surprised & alarmed if we don’t. At least a booster.

I'm in the UK. Maybe thats why. Though if not I have the DVDs

What is the test result?
Second test came back negative. We are beginning to think my Nan didn't have it in the first place and the first test was wrong. No one else who was near my Nan got any symptoms either.

So for now, all good.

Second test came back negative. We are beginning to think my Nan didn't have it in the first place and the first test was wrong. No one else who was near my Nan got any symptoms either.

So for now, all good.
Glad to hear

I'm reminded of a Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert asks Wally how he feels about working from home and social distancing. Wally replies "It's been the best time of my life".

My workload has been reduced to about an hour a day thanks to working from home, and my wife's has doubled. She's a hospital admin so she's putting in 10 to 12 hour days, plus generally doing zoom meetings on the weekends. My job as a college prof almost does itself thanks to on-demand lectures. I do one 90 minute lecture to an empty classroom in front of a video camera, and that's a wrap for the week. All I have to do then is check student reports via email.

I'm reminded of a Dilbert cartoon where Dilbert asks Wally how he feels about working from home and social distancing. Wally replies "It's been the best time of my life".

My workload has been reduced to about an hour a day thanks to working from home, and my wife's has doubled. She's a hospital admin so she's putting in 10 to 12 hour days, plus generally doing zoom meetings on the weekends. My job as a college prof almost does itself thanks to on-demand lectures. I do one 90 minute lecture to an empty classroom in front of a video camera, and that's a wrap for the week. All I have to do then is check student reports via email.
I always liked that scene in Office Space (1999) where Peter explains to the efficiency experts how he basically does about a half hour of "actual work" in a work day.

I had some office jobs like that. (I had one proofreading job in a Pharmaceutical labelling dept. where there would sometimes be up to 2 weeks between projects to work on - and the goal was to try to look busy during those times so no one realized you weren't really doing anything. I'd even do a little freelance proofreading for private clients during those times.)

I had some office jobs like that. (I had one proofreading job in a Pharmaceutical labelling dept. where there would sometimes be up to 2 weeks between projects to work on - and the goal was to try to look busy during those times so no one realized you weren't really doing anything. I'd even do a little freelance proofreading for private clients during those times.)
I once had a job in my hometown (a very long time ago) in the offices of a well-known department store. I can say quite honestly that to this day I have no idea what I did in this job. I seem to recall we were constantly counting stuff & “shrinkage” was probably the most over-used word in our “department”.

We were a bunch of young girls & we worked on the very top floor of this place - nowhere near the sales floor - & we were mostly unsupervised. One day, late in the afternoon, I gave all the girls a quick trim of their hair. Sounds crazy, but we knew nobody would find out.

I remember the Katrina hurricane disaster where so many people needlessly died because supplies and basic help wasn't gotten to them in time. Yes the 21st century has amazing medical breakthroughs but that doesn't help when huge numbers of people need those specialized services. Basically humanity is helpless if masses of people need help all at one time, then the system becomes overwhelmed.
You're right. And no state will fund 2-3 times more places in hospitals and the work of additional staff in case "what if a pandemic?" But the mechanisms have not been thought out, as in the event of an extreme situation, all this work should be mobilized, from where to attract help. Well, for example, there are people living on unemployment benefits - why can't they be obliged to provide assistance in such conditions? After all, they owe the taxpayers, on whose money they live. Of course, this is not democratic, everything seems to be voluntary. But why should people volunteer to work and at the same time voluntarily pay for someone's carefree life?

I once had a job in my hometown (a very long time ago) in the offices of a well-known department store. I can say quite honestly that to this day I have no idea what I did in this job. I seem to recall we were constantly counting stuff & “shrinkage” was probably the most over-used word in our “department”.

We were a bunch of young girls & we worked on the very top floor of this place - nowhere near the sales floor - & we were mostly unsupervised. One day, late in the afternoon, I gave all the girls a quick trim of their hair. Sounds crazy, but we knew nobody would find out.
Another horrid thing about this place that I had forgotten is that there were constant buzzers. Probably for the start of the lunch hour, the end of the lunch hour, the start of the working day, the end of the working day & so forth. I remember these buzzers almost making me lose my mind.

Then me & a friend got severely reprimanded for having a drink one lunchtime. The old bat in charge said we were a bad example to the younger girls.

I seem to recall being fired from this job, but can’t remember why. Definitely did not miss it.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I drove over 800 miles yesterday to get a COVID-19 vaccine.