Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Plumber, 1979

Jill (Judy Morris) lives with her husband, Brian (Robert Coleby) on a college campus in Adelaide. Judy spends her days working on her Master's thesis while Brian works in a research lab. One day a man, Max (Ivar Kants) shows up and tells Jill that he's been sent to work on the plumbing in their bathroom. Only his "repairs" seem to be more of a slow-motion demolition of their bathroom, and he begins to play some unsettling mind games with Jill. Jill slowly begins to go mad as no one will believe her about the sinister nature of the man who only seems to show up when Jill is alone.

There's a lot to unpack in this film in terms of gender and social class dynamics. It is an incredibly uncomfortable film to watch for most of the run time.

And to be honest, I just had a scary (as in calling 911) encounter that has kind of blocked out the thematic components of the film. I don't think I can even write very many coherent thoughts about it right now, because my anger on behalf of the main character is being strongly amplified by my own experience. I may revisit this one in the future to be able to give more of an actual review.

I do think the film does a good job of showcasing Peter Weir's ability to mix the surreal and the intimate.

Charade - This splendid 1963 movie turned out to be a happy surprise. It's fun and breezy and the two stars, Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn have the kind of effortless chemistry that is often ascribed to other romantic pairings. This should be the yardstick against which other onscreen couples are measured. It's also been called, "The best movie Hitchcock never made" but I'm not all that sure he could. From the very first scene establishing Audrey Hepburn as a nervous eater, director Stanley Donen shows both finesse and a light touch. Perhaps this is due to him helming so many musicals before taking on this project but it never comes across as unwieldy or sluggish. Hepburn plays Regina Lampert, the wife of a recently murdered man whom she apparently didn't know well at all. Grant plays ... well, let's just say his character is eager to help and leave it at that. The rest of the cast is just as note-perfect with Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy among others. As for locales, most of the film takes place in Paris and Donen takes full advantage of the local scenery. Oh and it's got a great theme from Henry Mancini that just adds to the overall engaging vibe. I look forward to watching this again in the future. 95/100

U.N.C.L.E. - 10/10

Scream 3

** out of *****

Things go bad when Hollywood's biggest hack is writing your movie. A wasted opportunity and boring mess that is worse than any other installment of the franchise.

Scream 3

** out of *****

Things go bad when Hollywood's biggest hack is writing your movie. A wasted opportunity and boring mess that is worse than any other installment of the franchise.
scream 1 and scream 2 always the best

'The Banishment' (2008)

Dir.: Andrey Zvyaginstev

Zvyaginstev 's second film channels the water and decayed building traits of Tarkovsky - the shot composition of Moldovan scenery is truly stunning. The film follows a family in freefall after a devastating revelation during a holiday. Nothing new but the uncompromising two and a half hour bleak but beautiful tone is brilliantly directed.

I couldn't imagine this film coming from anywhere other than Russia, other than maybe Romania or Iran. There are long takes that embrace the nature of the location that the family has stayed in to get away from 'the city', there is bubbling tension under the surface of potentially fatal family feuds. One shot of the cabin the family are staying at it shrouded in fog, and makes the viewer wonder if the director waited months for the weather to be perfect, such is the dedication to his craft.

There is ambiguity and not all questions are answered during the final devastating 30 minutes. But Zvyaginstev makes this film so utterly mesmerizing with the visuals and atmosphere that the faults are almost cast aside, and he has to be considered one of the current greats of world cinema.

After watching all 3 seaons of Kobra Kai, my son and I felt the need to watch this classic again.Holds up surprisingly well for its age.
Is cobra Kai the shizz, I need a series to watch.

Mank (2020)

Biographical drama about the screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz, in particular the development of the SP for Citizen Kane. Interesting but not enthralling account of the talented but alcoholic and abrasive writer. I find that most biopic or "real stories" can be like that. Directed by David Fincher and he plays it pretty straight. The pay-off with Mank accepting his Academy Award (at home!) and dissing Orson Welles is pretty damn funny!!

Scream 3

** out of *****

Agreed, I watched 1 and 2 recently but I refuse to watch that. I remember enjoying number 4 so that’s on the menu for me.

First Reformed - I had read that some people might have written off director Paul Schrader because of some clinkers he had made and other not so great choices in movie projects (The Canyons). But then he's also written some great movies like Taxi Driver, Blue Collar, Rolling Thunder, Raging Bull, Affliction and this one starring Ethan Hawke as Reverend Ernst Toller. He is the pastor at First Reformed church in upstate New York, which is about to celebrate its two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. It's also a historical attraction due to it being a stopping point in the Underground Railroad. Toller is undergoing a crisis of faith which may have contributed to his numerous physical maladies as well as his drinking problem. He is visited by Mary, (Amanda Seyfried, in one of her best performances) one of the parishioners in his steadily diminishing flock. She is pregnant and worried about her husband Michael (Phillip Ettinger). He in turn has been suffering from depression and feels that they shouldn’t be bringing a baby into a world that’s headed for an ecologically triggered extinction. All these events intersect and bring Rev. Toller’s spiritual impasse to a head.

Ethan Hawke had proven his acting chops as far back as 1997’s Gattaca but it’s only lately (probably starting with Training Day) that he’s been given the opportunity in a string of satisfying and substantial roles. He, along with Seyfried, Cedric the Entertainer as the pastor of a mega church and Schrader’s solid script, really makes this movie. 90/100
Wasn’t expecting to love this as much as I did probably in my top 3 of movies in the 10’s. And yeah agreed, Gattaca is such an underated gem too.

Sound of Metal (2020)

A tough story to watch and really get hooked into, but the acting is terrific.

scream 1 and scream 2 always the best
Agreed.

Agreed, I watched 1 and 2 recently but I refuse to watch that. I remember enjoying number 4 so that’s on the menu for me.
Scream *** 1/2 out of *****

Scream 2 *** out of *****

Scream 4 ***1/4 out of *****

Is cobra Kai the shizz, I need a series to watch.

I would definetely recommend it, and The Mandalorian too, if you haven't seen it

Just watched News of the World. So simplistic in its story, and not in a good way. It's predictable and something that has probably been done before. It seems like it had a decent budget as well, so it's surprising how something so ordinary was allowed to be made, and how someone like Hanks agreed to it (maybe because he had worked with the director before).

Collectiv (2019) - 9/10. Saw this last month. Well all of my recent posts are of movies I have watched in the past two months. And I have to say, this is one of the best documentary I have seen. The level of fraud and the human impact was laid bare. I have to wholeheartedly say this is a recommended watch. The incident which sparked it all off seems trivial in the grand scheme of things, but the story is so much more! It might just win the best foreign film or best documentary this year, depending on which category it lands.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm Thinking of Ending Things -

Somehow even worse a second time around.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things -

Somehow even worse a second time around.

Yikes, shouldn't have read this! I plan to watch this tonight!

Yikes, shouldn't have read this! I plan to watch this tonight!
It’s a good movie.