The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have been a proud Hook abstainer since it came out. Everything about the look of that film put me off.
Was it all of the snotty-haired bastards who didn't even have the good sense to turn into donkeys?

Speaking of the allusion, here's a firecracker hot take: A.I. >>> Jurassic Park.

Figured you liked the movie, but didn't know that much. Cool!
Orson Welles is like my mentor, or something like that I wouldn't say Citizen Kane is a movie I like to put on with pizza, but it's one of the first films that really impressed me.

Orson Welles only had one film on the list so I won't bother with the update. But I will say that Citizen waa my #2. Even though it's not my type of movie, I won't deny that the film-making technique was incredible and the characters were fantastic.

Guesses for tomorrow's film??

I'm gonna say either The Departed or Blade Runner

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

I'm gonna say either The Departed or Blade Runner
I got Blade Runner in my predictions but I could see Apocalypse Now showing too.

I got Blade Runner in my predictions but I could see Apocalypse Now showing too.
I predicted Apocalypse Now #10 which it ended up being Citizen Kane, maybe Apocalypse will show up this time

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
If you're interested in Citizen Kane, or just filmmaking in general, there are two things other than the film itself worth your attention:

1. Roger Ebert's Commentary. You'll find this on some (most?) deluxe editions of the film on DVD, Blu-ray, whatever. It's just Ebert commentating over the whole film, and it's one of the best commentaries you'll ever hear. He's just constantly rattling off interesting trivia, drawing attention to framing and camera techniques, particularly those that Welles more or less invented for the film. You really get a sense for how many things that might seem unremarkable now were totally new back then. The film is filled to the brim with meaningful artistic advances and thoughtful storytelling choices. Here's a clip:

2. Mank. This is David Fincher's latest film, it was produced by Netflix (and is on there now), and it came out just a few months ago. It's the story of Herman J. Mankiewicz, who wrote the film's screenplay. I really enjoyed, as discussed in this thread a bit. Interesting just to see how the film was (and wasn't) made, apart from being a great story in its own right. You're gonna hear a lot more about it as the Oscars approach, too, I think, so if you're the type to let the nominations and likely winners inform your to-do list anyway, get a head start on that by watching Mank.
Had missed the conversation regarding Mank but truly loved seeing this film when it first came on Netflix. Some really excellent Behind The Scenes along with learning about the man himself. Wonderful film!

One of my favorite stories from the Boganovich tapes is the one that Boganovich later turned into the film, The Cat's Meow, where Hearst "allegedly" (likely) shot and killed writer/director Thomas Ince after mistaking him for Charlie Chaplin, who had been having an affair with "Rosebud" Davies. Welles regretted omitting this from the Kane screenplay, believing that its inclusion "would have bought silence for myself forever".
Heh. I recall seeing "Meow" some years ago, but I don't remember much about it, except that we were interested in seeing if Eddie Izzard could act.

The Ince death makes a juicy gossip story and wonderful fodder for screenplay, but it also smacks of fiction-- too many coincidences. I'm more inclined to believe that Ince died from coronary thrombosis. We'll never know, but I'm skeptical..

Was it all of the snotty-haired bastards who didn't even have the good sense to turn into donkeys?

Speaking of the allusion, here's a firecracker hot take: A.I. >>> Jurassic Park.
Hook is mid-tier to low-tier Spielberg. Some decent sets and Hoffman was fine. But not essential by any means.

Slow your roll with AI. It would have been better off with either Kubrick or Spielberg taking control with the other one being on the sidelines. Although I might be willing to put AI above Hook, even with Julia Roberts trying her best to give out the magic dust.

Here's a scorching take:

The Stranger > Citizen Kane.

Shout out to Joseph Cotten. He is fantastic in Kane, and always fantastic in my opinion. Branching out past just the well know classics the last few years has really made him one of my favorite actors. Kane, Ambersons, Third Man, and Shadow Of A Doubt he really shines in all 3. I feel like I'm missing a big one too, but if anyone has some Cotten recs past those throw them my way.
I thought that The Steel Trap (1952) was well done. Cotten plays a bank employee who steals $1M from a bank and wants to lamb it to Brazil. His wife (Theresa Wright) isn't aware what he's done until they start the trip. Then when Cotten changes his mind there's suspense to see if he can get the money back to the vault before the bank realizes it.

It's very interesting to see Cotten and Wright as man and wife, thinking back to Shadow of a Doubt 9 years earlier, where they played uncle and niece.

I can roll with this take (have them pretty close on my own Spielberg ranking)

The trick is not minding

I can see it. A.I. Is the deeper film, even if I rate it about the same as Jurassic Park.

Blade Runner's turn tomorrow.
For some reason I can see this being tomorrow's movie

I love the way the silent title of Citizen Kane segues into the fence outside Xanadu and focuses on the "No Trespassing" sign; it basically tells you right up front that Kane does not want you meddling in his personal affairs but then the film attempts to do so. The camera climbs the fence and proceeds to get closer to the main building, passing the remnants of a zoo (Hearst Castle had a zoo) and a golf course. Eventually we get close to the one light on in the main building which goes off and then comes back on. Cut to the snow globe, Kane's lips, "Rosebud", globe gets dropped and broken as the nurse walks in and finds that Kane is dead.

After that we get the News on the March newsreel which delineates Kane's life and shows many views of the man. I especially like the scene on the balcony where Kane is with Hitler and the implication that Kane supported him before he knew any better. After the newsreel ends, the director seems to want to find a hook into Kane's life and focuses on the great man's final word Rosebud to try to find out what made him tick. However, the first few people seem to have no idea of what Rosebud is. However, Gregg Toland's photography highlights the use of saturated rear lighting and the way it causes people's extremities to darken and extend that light. Brenda said, "It reminds me of (the scene where Sally sings "Maybe This Time" in Cabaret.

After the death of the main character, it segues into a long newsreel about his life story. The beginning is so audacious that it throws a lot of first-time viewers for a loop. Not only that, but as you begin to get your bearings, the film introduces a number of elderly characters who all reminisce about Kane, so now we see him from many different perspectives, but they aren't always in chronological order and some of them are contradictory. So, once again, the narrative is completely unusual, and Welles and his fellow artists continue to catch you off guard by using overlapping dialogue, deep focus photography, special effects to make things seem larger than they are, extensive makeup work on almost every actor seen in the film during various times in their lives, an intense and haunting Bernard Herrmann score, which coupled with bizarre sound effects and strange editing (the scene where the bird cackles, the scene where the photograph comes to life, the photographic journey up to the opera house rafters during a particular "aria", and hundreds more). All these directorial choices just make the film more enjoyable and dense for the watcher, but once again, some people do not like films where they do not like the characters. I don't know. It seems to me that several modern directors have become famous for highlighting some of the most unlikable characters ever, and among those I would include Martin Scorsese and Christopher Nolan

I believe that Rosebud's use is two-fold. It's obviously meant to humanize Kane at the end of the film. At the beginning, we have no idea what Rosebud could be although we are given the clue of the snow globe falling out of Kane's hands when he says it. The beginning uses Rosebud as the entire basis of what turns out to be the "plot" of the movie. How are we going to go about trying to find out the soul of this dead man who the world knows a lot of but cannot really understand what makes him tick. Therefore, Rosebud is the clothesline from which the various witnesses are strung in an attempt to crack the nut of Citizen Kane. The fact that no one surviving or studied is able to illuminate Rosebud's meaning is significant but actually fades well into the background for a while until the film reaches its conclusion. It's only in the film's final moments, after we've seen Kane at his most-selfish-and-despotic, that Rosebud returns as something important to show that the man may truly have been just a child at heart. Rosebud certainly relates to Kane's innocence and is also somewhat explainable as the reason why he initially runs his newspaper as if he were a kid in a candy store. Kane did start out as someone who just seemed to have fun with all the things he inherited but eventually he thought of them and all his friends and employees more as possessions rather than toys or things for him to entertain himself, his cohorts and hopefully the world.

You see, I don't believe that Kane ever lost "Rosebud". After all, it was at Xanadu and he could have found it if he truly desired that. What he lost was the meaning of Rosebud and he only recalled it on his deathbed. It's as if Kane's life flashed before his eyes (sort of like the newsreel which immediately comes on directly after his death) and the thing which made him happiest of all was Rosebud. At the end of the movie we see that Kane and Rosebud are both going to the same place -- to ashes. It's tragic, yes, but what it really means is that Kane is just another man. No matter how rich and influential you are during life, you can't take it with you and you'll never really separate yourself from the simplest, humblest soul on Earth, except that perhaps that person may live a life filled with his/her Rosebud and not need to try to find a substitute by collecting objects and people. It may not be profound but it still turns the movie and the man into a tragic figure. Think about it. If we never learned what Rosebud was, most people wouldn't think as highly of the film. At least that's my opinion.

Very well written @mark f and it touches on what I liked most about the movie, that Kane, for all his grandeur and self-importance, remembered at the end what really made him happy. This, more than any of the filmmaking, great as it was, is what I think of every time I see Citizen Kane (and I've only seen it a handful of times over the decades. But Rosebud never leaves me. Thanks for that nice review, Mark!

EDIT: Because I haven't seen it in quite a while, it didn't make my list like the more recently re-seen movies on my list.

My guesses for at least four that I think will make it (and I know I'm hedging my bets by including only four). These, in no particular order:
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
2001: A Space Odyssey
Jaws

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've got a HUGE catch up to do as we enter the Top 10.
Amusingly, I have only one of this 13 films that was actually on my list, though I have seen all but one.

12 Angry Men The premise of a lone juror sticking to their guns against and, eventually persuading others has become so ingrained into nearly every jury-based story and this is the iconic film that started it all.

The Shining Like with soooo many others, the book IS better but D@MN if this isn't a great scary ride.

The Thing Speaking of great scary rides. Carpenter's masterpiece.

Vertigo One more from Hitchcock's top ranking films I have yet to see.

The Big Lebowski (1998) Making my list at #10 as well as on my Countless Rewatch List. Packed with quotable lines it is my favorite Coen Brothers film.

Chinatown It has been a decade or more since my last viewing but I do remember how great a neo-noir film this is.

The Shawshank Redemption There was a time that I would watch this film over and over again and somehow drifted away from and could very easily return to.

Lawrence of Arabia An amazing film that it has been FAR FAR too long since I've last experienced it.

Taxi Driver Too be honest I never could get into this film. Respect it. But. . . not a fan.

Alien While I do see the second installment quite a few times more than this, it merits a higher respect from me.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Played with a seriousness that creates comedy out of a dark place with incredible design and innovation. Like with so many of his films, Kubrick should be applauded for that creative talent and insight. Even more so for doing it at such a precarious time of history as well as remaining equally poignant, over fifty years later.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Of the trilogy this is my favorite. While the following two are epic in their battles and struggles, this is the introduction to it all. To Middle Earth. The One Ring. The Shire. Gandalf. All of it. This was the film that gave me a sigh of relief realizing that Peter Jackson was The Guy to bring JRR Tolkien's world to celluloid.

Citizen Kane This is the ideal film to set the bar for the Top Ten. I'd delve deeper but it has been written quite eloquently already.
And eloquent, me ain't.

Leaving, like many, a cobweb filled List of what made the actual list; with, I'm guessing, possibly two more, three at the most before we close shop.

Movies Watched 74 out of 91 (81.32%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1969) #81
7. Amadeus (1984) #50
10. The Big Lebowski (1998) #18
13. The Wizard of Oz (1939) #36
16. The Third Man (1949) #48
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*