MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I didn't really consider Perfect Blue to be a horror film, but thinking about it now, I can see the arguments for it. It's probably my least favourite of Kon's films, but it's still an interesting story that's well crafted, if a little obtuse at times.

The Omen wasn't on my list either. I like the film well enough, but it's never been a favourite.

Seen: 53/66
My List: 8

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
07. Cabin in the Woods (2011) - #52
11. The Descent (2005) - #40
16. Event Horizon (1997) - #49
17. The Wailing (2016) - #69
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
20. The Babadook (2014) - #63
21. Videodrome (1983) - #42
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

Finally, one I haven't seen (Perfect Blue).

Get it watched now

TBH i probably should've voted for it.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I was 5 when I first saw The Omen at the movies so that's one that made an impact. Love part 2 as well.

Shocked to see Perfect Blue show up. Good movie though.

2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
10. Deep Red (#66)
16. Carrie (#45)
20. The Omen (#35)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)
23. Hellraiser (#53)

The Omen was my #1 film. That was an easy choice. I pretty much grew up with the film and watched it every single time it came on TV, before getting a video copy of it I watched many, many times, and then feeling as if I were rediscovering it when I got to see it on DVD. I love every single frame of the movie, the music is great, Gregory Peck is awesome, the kid who plays Damien is perfectly creepy, the evil nanny who watches over Damien and hangs herself is super creepy, the rottweilers make your skin go cold, and on and on.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#70)
11. Diabolique (#75)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Omen is my #18. I went with my bro to see a sneak preview on 6-6-76. It has classic parts like David Warner's weird photographs, the storm in the park aimed at the priest, the two scenes in the car where first Damien freaks at the religious symbols and then the baboons freak at Damien, the attack in the graveyard, the insane horizontal pane of glass and all the violent climactic scenes leading to the ending The plot is ridiculous, but it's ingenious, and Richard Donner gets a whole lot out of his budget. It's presented with such a straight face and good cast that you can easily get caught up in all the plot twists and WTFs. Perfect Blue, like all of Kon's films, is very good and a really trippy experience.
My List
1. Gremlins
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
25. Diabolique

I had Perfect Blue at #4 and I could see it rising up in the future. It was a lock for my top five from the day this list was announced. Cool to see it got a #1 vote from jal

My List
#1. The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)
#4. Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1997)
#6. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)
#7. Eyes Without a Face (Georges Franju, 1960)
#11. Onibaba (Kineto Shindo, 1964)
#12. Nosferatu the Vampyre (Werner Herzog, 1979)
#15. Angst (Gerald Kargl, 1983)
#17. The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016)
#21. Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)
#22. Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016)
#25. The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)

The Omen is one of those movies that everyone always said was sooooo scary. I wasn't buying it so I blew it off...for years (like what I'm doing to Bram Stoker's Dracula). Finally, one day I just decided to sit down and watch it. My reasoning - if your going to call yourself a horror fan you have to watch the "classics" no matter how much you think they're going to suck. I am so glad I saw this. It's just a very good movie and it's kind of genuinely creepy. Some of the fx are a bit underwhelming by today's standards (the cemetery scene stands out) but the story is great and there was a bit more gore than I expected (ain't nothing wrong with some blood and guts or decapitations in horror films). Liked it so much it's in my top 25 at 24.

Enjoyed The Others enough to buy it. Love The Wicker Man. What a fabulous movie just not enough of a horror feel for me and I didn't like the Birds at all. Haven't seen Perfect Blue

So Far:
6. The Haunting #43
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - A Big Fat DNP
12. The Wailing #69
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Perfect Blue, (and it wasn't on my watchlist because I didn't know it was a horror movie).

I watched The Omen for this countdown, (and because it starred Gregory Peck). It was okay, but it didn't make my list.

My List:

4. The Wicker Man (#37)

12. Bram Stoker's Dracula (#50)
13. Onibaba (#73)

20. The Omen (#35)
21. The Birds (#41)

24. Eyes Without A Face (#46)
25. Sveto mesto (1 pointers list)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Welcome to the human race...
Perfect Blue was my #14. It was one of the handful of films I revisited in anticipation of this countdown and one of two that actually made it onto my list as a result. A creep-tastic masterpiece if ever there was one.

I remember The Omen being alright, didn't exactly blow me away or anything but I did pick up a secondhand copy not too long ago with the intention of giving it another chance.

Unregistered User
Just back after a week or so and so much to catch up on. Not going to comment on the ones I've missed as 18 is just too many but aside from Dracula, Interview and The Others, I absolutely love them all!

From my list:-
2. Onibaba
5. Martyrs
13. Angst
15. The Haunting
17. Neon Demon
20. Eyes Without A Face
21. Event Horizon
22. Annihilation
23. Don't Look Now
Out of the more recent ones I'm surprised Martyrs didn't place higher, certainly deserves to. Same goes with Eyes Without A Face. Event Horizon I'm glad it made it and surprised it finished so high. Major worries over my 14 and 18 picks now, cant see them making it. I love The Haunting and glad it placed well as I don't here much about it here.

Seen them all so far and loving the list.

Greeting readers, HashtagBrownies here. I'm gonna be presenting the next film tonight...

And it's the best horror movie ever (Or the 34th best according to you bozos!).

What's the film you may ask? Well, it was released in 1999, it's only 80 minutes long, and it tells of a group of people being tormented by an evil, unstoppable force. Yup, it's...

What? No not Stuart Little! (Good guess though!).

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Runtime:
1Hr 21Mins
Production Company: Haxan Films
Distributed by Artisan Entertainment
Production Budget: $60,000
Box Office: $248,600,000
Nine Votes
131 Points (25, 20, 19, 16, 15, 14, 12, 5, 5)
High Voter: @HashtagBrownies (Oh look it’s me!)

Released during a time when Found Footage was only a genre barely experimented with, and a time where people couldn't fathom the idea of films like Cloverfield or Marble Hornets, The Blair Witch Project came along and changed horror forever...

...And brought ALL the Paranormal activity movies along with it.

(Ok I'll be nice, I actually liked the first one).

I'm actually surprised it made it this far up the list as it appears to be a very mixed film. Some people think it's a masterpiece in terms of low budget cinema, and others think it's 'A boring ass movie where people argue about a map for 80 minutes'.

I think it's actually a brilliantly made film. The performances are so authentic (Whenever Heather screams it sounds like a woman seeing her child being murdered.) The refusal to show any actual 'witch' or real jumpscares seems very intentional (I would argue that Heather's terrified gasp and yelp after she opens the little 'package' counts as an effective jumpscare). It genuinely feels like we're watching the edited together scraps of footage of some real life people's last moments. The blunt title card and absence of music seems obvious but it's still so off-putting.

The film is actually incredibly well shot, thought most of it is accidental. The dutch angle during the first 'map' scene, Heather not filming the mysterious figure during the 'WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT?' scene despite it being the director's intention, the lighting during Heather's apology scene, The way the sun reflects off the B&W camera when it films the stick figures, I could go on. Each scene is dominated by the bare autumn trees that look like ominous, sharp, scary daggers.

It's an incredibly lonely movie: Apart from a dead mouse, NO-ONE apart from the main characters is seen after the 13 minute mark. Just the general atmosphere of the characters being all alone is quite disturbing: At least in films like Halloween the victims are surrounded by neighbours and actually get to SEE their tormentor. In this film that's just not the case.

-And lest we forget...

That damn house!

Why is it No.1 on my list? That's a good question. It's the only horror movie that GENUINELY terrifies me. I saw it when I was young, and it started to leave an impact on me after several viewings. It's a very personal film for me, the clothing of Heather seems as iconic as Freddy's striped jumper. I'm no psychologist, but I think the factors above contribute to why I think this is the scariest movie I've ever seen.

If you haven't seen the film yet, please do. If you like it, that's great.If you don't, well you probably only would've spent that 80 minutes wanking anyway!

Well done Hashtag

And count me as a big fan of The Blair Witch Project. It's very effective film making, if one isn't jaded by overly bloody, jump scare movies then the film can work wonders on the psyche. It was ground breaking in it's day and for all the reasons that you mentioned. It scared the hell out of me...and I live in the woods

Welcome to the human race...
"JOOOOOOSH!"

I only got around to watching The Blair Witch Project a few years ago and I thought it was decent - was definitely afraid that the hype and imitators would kill it (I'd already seen [REC] by that point, after all), but I still found it a creepy enough experience. Did not consider it for my list, though. Maybe it could've used some drones.