Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I started the Peeping Tom binge!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Manhattan - 8/10 - 2nd time viewing this. I wanted a sure win, so I went with this, and because I rented it on DVD, didn't find any special features. I never check out the trailer, but I did this time, and thought I should see how it was shown to the public before it was out.

Great film, and funny, which is so hard for me to find.. It's like Annie Hall in many ways, but a little different. I wish Woody made more movies like this. I love how complicit he can be, wishing for something when it's convenient (like Annie going to college in A.H.), and how he changes every little thing. I love how Muriel Hemingway's character is very mature even though she's 17 and has the voice to match it, but listen to what she says. And Isaac is immature. I love the many movie references - Bergman, Brando, 2001, Fellini characters, movie novelizations, La Grande Illusion, W.C. Fields...

Typical Woody film I guess with a great script with Marshall Brickman, NY, psychobabble, it's funny, especially the skeleton scene.

Has anyone seen Interiors? I don't know if I've seen it, if you guys recommend it, I'll get it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Really well written with very well drawn characters. I think the people who love this as opposed to like it like me probably find a lot of humor. I didn't think it was very funny at all.
I love it, probably my 2nd favorite movie in the 90's after American Beauty. I think it has some humor in it, but it's a movie about the meaning of life, and I like that stuff. It has style too, which I usually don't like in films. The characters are given depth, another plus. No waste in the film. And the polar messages in the very beginning and the end, the duality of man. I think I gave it an 8.

I finally watched Inglorious Basterds last night. After the 1-2 punch of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, my interest in Tarantino fizzled out. IB failed to blow me away, but it did surpass my expectations and made me want to watch Django Unchained. Something that I'll more than likely do in the next few days, after I watch the 60s (unrelated) Django.

Inglorious Basterds - 8/10

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Please don't hate me, but I thought it was dull. I have seen a lot of supposed 60s greats that just don't click with me, like this one. It was boring throughout, despite a good ending.

Bell' Antonio (1960)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 2/10 -> the movie sucked

Moby Dick, John Huston

Ahrrrr, man the harpoons. I read the book a couple years ago, hating it and loving it at the same time. This movie does a pretty decent job at portraying the mystical fight between a man and a whale, mainly thanks to Gregory Peck who pulls off a great Ahab.
Moby Dick wasn't an easy book to make a film out of, and Houston does his best to convey both its adventurous and its introspective side. Sometimes it goes well, sometimes it goes less well. Quiqueg is like the weird uncle most of the family forgets having, and it takes more than close ups on intense facial expression while delivering a monologue to make a scene unforgettable. Luckily, as I said, said monologues are delivered by guys like Welles (his scene might as well be the best in the movie, on a ship in a church, with that rope always in the shot. He would have a great Ahab too) and Peck. But then again it was 1956 and the movie is mainly set on a ship, so there was only so much Huston could do. The storm scene is pretty cool, the first whale hunting scene is awful but they get better, and the final battle against Moby Dick is exciting enough.
I don't know, I think it's a good movie but nowhere close to Moby Dick.
I'll give it a 6/10.

EDIT: uh I read now that Peck's performance was widely criticized, even by himself. Meh, I liked him.

Watched this with a couple of my housemates. I love spy films, so I have no idea why it took my so long to get to this. Fantastic all star British cast, direction and cinematography. The film starts off slowly introducing to us to a lot of complex sub stories relating to the different characters through flashbacks, but everything comes together brilliantly, leading to an awesome ending. Tense throughout, I can see why some may find it difficult to follow, but I thought it was fine. Gary Oldman shows he can do restrained, and I don't think he's been better than in this, at least from what I've seen of him. Great film.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I finally watched Inglorious Basterds last night. After the 1-2 punch of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, my interest in Tarantino fizzled out. IB failed to blow me away, but it did surpass my expectations and made me want to watch Django Unchained. Something that I'll more than likely do in the next few days, after I watch the 60s (unrelated) Django.

Inglorious Basterds - 8/10
I love IB! Django Unchained, not so much!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Please don't hate me, but I thought it was dull. I have seen a lot of supposed 60s greats that just don't click with me, like this one. It was boring throughout, despite a good ending.

I hv it on my watchlist and I was looking forward to watch it... Now I don't know...

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Cinderella, 2015
Dir: Kenneth Branagh

A true gem amongst the many, many other modern fairy-tale movies which are twisted and mangled for extra grit, darkness and depth meant to appeal to 21st century audiences. Cinderella does not rewrite the classic story, it revives it in a very sweet way; it retains most of the Disney princess magic children have grown up with for decades. Not much has to be changed in the story to give the benevolent princess, the villainous stepmother and prince charming a bit more dimension than these stock characters usually posses, and that's all a revival of a fairy-tale needs, really. If you're not into traditional narratives, watch it for the visuals alone. Lush and very stunning. The whole movie was a delicious piece of eye-candy.

7/10

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Murmur of the Heart 1971, Louis Malle

A very nice and sweet french film about a 14 year old son having sex with his super sexy mother. I can't imagine there being a functional world, without Minio having seen this.

P.S. The Graduate is kiddies stuff, watch this instead!

Master of My Domain
I hv it on my watchlist and I was looking forward to watch it... Now I don't know...
Don't listen to Raul, neiba. He's a good guy and all but these days he's turning into an HK 2.0. I'm terribly worried about him.