Pixar and Disney

Tools    

This is in reference to the Pixar/Disney contract split. Finally negotiations to renew a contract between Pixar and Disney have ended on a bad note with pixar deciding not to renewi their contract with Disney. The contract agreement ends after Pixar and Disney's film 'The Incredibles' is released and after the project that is scheduled for a late 2005 relaese titled 'Cars'. Click here for more information.

So what do you all think?

Who do you feel will come out the better for this?

How badly do you think this is going to affect Disney?

Do any of you feel the quality of Pixars projects will go down?

What have you thought of Disney's and Pixars projects in the past?
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by allthatglitters
Not at all. Pixar is a pretty stand-up production company, and it doesn't need Disney's name on its product to be successful. Not only is the animation top-notch (and better with each film), but the writing deserves awards. The way in which Pixar's writers can craft a story, and create characterization for computer-generated figures, and make me feel for them, is beyond me. Pixar's films have so much depth, so much originality, and they convey such positive messages; that it's no wonder Pixar hasn't made a bad one yet. They'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Not at all. Pixar is a pretty stand-up production company, and it doesn't need Disney's name on its product to be successful. Not only is the animation top-notch (and better with each film), but the writing deserves awards. The way in which Pixar's writers can craft a story, and create characterization for computer-generated figures, and make me feel for them, is beyond me. Pixar's films have so much depth, so much originality, and they convey such positive messages; that it's no wonder Pixar hasn't made a bad one yet. They'll be fine.
of course they will.

now wonder what will happen with Disney? i think so

I think Disney seems to have come to a fork in the road sort of speaking, they while were the traditional kids genra films, do not want to come to terms that Pixar is a much better quality film medium. Disney has to revamp it's whole way of making films they are behind the future of a computerized generation.

A system of cells interlinked
So what do you all think?
Three cheers for pixar for dropping the evil Disney.

Who do you feel will come out the better for this?
We will, as it will be less exposure to evil Disney.

How badly do you think this is going to affect Disney?
Hopefully it ruins them forever, but it won't

Nope

What have you thought of Disney's and Pixars projects in the past?
Top notch animation, typical Disney rip-offs of old classics, definitely some good writing in there.

I abhore Disney and everything about them. I could start with "My friend the Atom" and continue through horrible marketing scams aimed at children, which totally changed corporate America for the worst and follow through with the megalomanic founder. There are many reasons

This split up could, and probably will, hurt Disney very badly. For so long Pixar has really been all that Disney had going for them. This move by Pixar is going to open up so many opportunities for them, and much more freedom as well. One thing I have read is that they plan to open up their own 2D animation studio, so all of us animation fans can rejoice because once again good animated movies will be made. I think somewhere in the world Roy Disney is laughing at Michael Eisner's stupidity.

This is sort of a bit derived from the actual topic, but it's revelant enough and I don't feel like starting another thread-looks redundant.

So now that we've talked about the possible (and probable) outcomes to teh impending Disney/Pixar split, what do you all think of the possible Disney/Comcast sell out?

Basically Comcast has made a bid for about $50 million dollars in Disney stock. Micheal Eisner CEO of Disney (if only Walt disney could see what it's become) is yet to make a descision but you can read about all that good-for-business crap here

What my question now is do you think this could save disney?

How many of you thought that disney was (and is) in the dog house can now somewhat be salvaged?

Is there any hope?

Will they finally release a great movie?

Will they stop making those horrible tv movies and shows (ok Lizzie McGuire was cute till Hilary Duff decided to monopolize it)?

Do you think Disney could go under (stupid question)?

Is Walt Disney turning over in his grave now or what?

Do you think that this has been coming towards them ever since the last of the Disney's left the executive board?

when i was down in disney world last year i was shocked to see no one there, the place wasn't crowded at all...

we did speak to a few of the people that worked there and they told us that some of the hotels had to be shut down because of lack of business after 9/11

i am upset over the thought wdw could become comcast world but personally i really don't think that will happen..even if they do take over, i am sure that they will carry over the disney name...

and i guess i was the only one that thought brother bear was a good film..however they have one animation film coming up about a ranch that i have no desire to see at all...

i think the management at disney has to sit back and regroup or think about the future of their company because i don't understand how a hostile takeover could possibly be good for any company...

and yes, i think walt is turning over in his grave right about now

Originally Posted by susan
when i was down in disney world last year i was shocked to see no one there, the place wasn't crowded at all...

we did speak to a few of the people that worked there and they told us that some of the hotels had to be shut down because of lack of business after 9/11

i am upset over the thought wdw could become comcast world but personally i really don't think that will happen..even if they do take over, i am sure that they will carry over the disney name...

and i guess i was the only one that thought brother bear was a good film..however they have one animation film coming up about a ranch that i have no desire to see at all...

i think the management at disney has to sit back and regroup or think about the future of their company because i don't understand how a hostile takeover could possibly be good for any company...

and yes, i think walt is turning over in his grave right about now

I think it is horrible that Pixar could be so greedy, they were a great team.

Originally Posted by Rustygirl
I think it is horrible that Pixar could be so greedy, they were a great team.
well think about it. Pixar definaetly has been carrying disney these past few years. disney hasn't produced a good original movie without them since 'Lilo and Stitch'. It's not just the being greedy it's them being business smart. So one could say that their actions are money fueled, and they most likely are, but looking from where Pixar started (doing those small spots on Sesame Street) you could see how they might want to reach out unto their own limb. All in all this is very bad luck for Disney, and Pixar is very lucky that they are gettinhg out before possible Comcast takeover.

UPDATE: Disney has supposedly hired and anti-takeover lawyer showing that they might choose to fight this battle.

They aren't greedy, they just have the brand name and the money to distribute their films themselves, its basic business.

It could still be good for Disney. They have been relying far too much on Pixar. Pixar of late has been doing all the work and Disney has kind of fallen back recently and let them do it. Without Pixar there to carry them maybe the people in Disney will get off their backsides and work hard on making their next film on par of the movies of old.

Originally Posted by Revenant
It could still be good for Disney. They have been relying far too much on Pixar. Pixar of late has been doing all the work and Disney has kind of fallen back recently and let them do it. Without Pixar there to carry them maybe the people in Disney will get off their backsides and work hard on making their next film on par of the movies of old.
true. hadn't thought about that. of course the Comcast thing is probably going to be just as good for them. Comcast will most likely fire alot of people and hire new fresh animators and such to work for them. really why disney sell's so well is the name and the nostalgia it carries. true the parks are fun for the kiddies, but they don't make any money off those parks really. i would really like for disney to be more than a name again and make another great quality, original animated film...i have given up most hope for that though....

I'll admit, all of you are right and make very valid points

true the parks are fun for the kiddies, but they don't make any money off those parks really.
Disney makes more money off of the parks than anything. The parks is what made the Disney name into what it is today. Even the name Disney has become synonymous with the city of Orlando, in which the parks are located, while their headquarters are actually in California.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
Disney makes more money off of the parks than anything. The parks is what made the Disney name into what it is today. Even the name Disney has become synonymous with the city of Orlando, in which the parks are located, while their headquarters are actually in California.
i dunno- I would think thats it's zero sum for zero tradeoff. Because of how much it cots to keep all the parks running, plus all the people they need to work for them, I don't know I am not that tricky in the business world. they may make money off of the publicity they get from these parks, I mean most of LA owns a seasonal Disneyland pass...I am not even in LA and I owned one and that was when I was by San Fransisco too. People may go there alot and they may make tons of money but alot of goes back to the parks to help keep them running, if you've ver been to one, they're kept up wondefully, the gardens are always perfect and it's always very clean compared to other themeparks.

I live in Orlando and Disney does make sooo much from the parks. They employ something like 50,000 people in the Orlando area alone, and just about everyone that lives here has a relative or friend working there so they have a big impact with those parks.

Originally Posted by projectMayhem
I live in Orlando and Disney does make sooo much from the parks. They employ something like 50,000 people in the Orlando area alone, and just about everyone that lives here has a relative or friend working there so they have a big impact with those parks.
hmm..interesting..it's sort of like that in LA with Disneyland, but then you still get people who have never been..

sort of bouncing off the walls right now listening to 'Cirque du Soleil' and i am wondering ahve you seen the show their in orlando? I really wnat to go see a show if I can...it sounds amazing...

I haven't been yet but I have wanted to soooooooooo badly since before it even opened. I can remember goin out to Disney and seein that thing be built and just in awe of how cool the building looked. It's just so expensive, like $60, and I just don't have that kind of money to spend on something like that. Hmmm. Maybe that would be a good birthday present to ask for this year....