Highest Grossing Movie This Year Domestically?

Tools    

Since The Avengers made 200 million dollars this past weekend, the question should be looked at again. I know The Dark Knight Rises will be brought up but don't forget I said 'year' not just the summer season. The Hobbit is coming out this Christmas, which could possibly go over 400 million dollars, I doubt it will break highest grossing opening weekend, but its Christmas, where movies have a lot of staying power. My choice is still The Dark Knight but The Avengers might be closer than we last thought. The Hobbit is a movie most arent thinking about yet. I think the movies I've mentioned will be the top three grossing movies of 2012.

Moved to Business & Box Office Discussion. In the future, please take a moment to place new threads in the correct forum.

That said, it's clearly a two-horse race. I'm kinda thinking The Avengers finishes a bit higher at this point, probably thanks largely to the 3D.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Dark Knight Rises or I will eat my shoes.

I agree with this but every time I bring it up, here and other places, people say TDKR won't beat The Avengers. Mostly people point out that Heath Ledger was a huge draw for The Dark Knight, but, even if he's the factor that brought people into that film, it was the films overall quality that made people happy. I don't think people realize how big that fan base actually is. I predict that The Dark Knight Rises will beat The Avengers.

I dunno, I might give a slight edge to The Avengers. TDK does have a huge fan base, but the confluence of events that contributed to TDK's gross were unbelievable and unrepeatable.

Also--and this is a big one--it's not gonna be getting extra money from those 3D screens. I think it falls just short. But neither would surprise me at all. It's an extremely difficult call.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Avengers, no contest. It's shattering what TDK did when it was released and the hype for this film is not as big as it was for TDK.

Suspect's Reviews

The Avengers, no contest. It's shattering what TDK did when it was released and the hype for this film is not as big as it was for TDK.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hang on. You have a hype-meter? For reals? Tell me something, what's the hype-meter rating for bouncingbrick?

Have you ever seen this, gandalf?

FTR, I think it's going to be pretty close. Before it's release, I'd have said DKR, no question, but The Avengers really is tearing it up. It's closing in on half a billion and it's not been out three weeks yet. That said, I'll stick with DKR.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
It doesn't always depend on hype. Green Lantern had quite a bit of hype...that under performed. Though The Avengers will probably make the most this year, other films like TDKR and The Hobbit will probably give it a fight to the top spot. There is also a lot of 10 year old boys that wanna see The Amazing Spiderman.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Avengers. No matter how good Dark Knight Rises may be, it just will not top the sheer movie going joy that Marvel films just dropped on us all. Too gloomy.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Ok, ok. The non-sarcastic response.

Go to the Upcoming Films section of MoFo and show me the thread for The Avengers (I don't think there is one). Then look at the one for TDKR. It's up to 65 pages and the film is still 2 months away.

It's like that all over the internet. There are front page articles on Yahoo that analyze every frame of trailers for TDKR. They just had one yesterday that supposes that characters will die/lose their soul based entirely on the news posters!

That is hype. The Avengers, while being buzzed about, wasn't scrutinized under a microscope the way TDKR is being treated.

I'm going with Dark Knight, but Yoda's point about 3-D revenues has me a little "worried."

I'm curious what the "confluence of events" was that makes Dark Knight's success "unrepeatable" though. Heath Ledger's death is the only one that I can think of, and it is obviously unrepeatable, but it's not like Batman movies haven't broken records before (Burton, right?), and it's also not like this movie's happening in a vacuum where Dark Knight never existed. I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan can successfully build on the fan-base from the last movie. Plus there's a good chance most Avengers fans will still have an appetite for a good Super Hero movie come midsummer.

I'm curious what the "confluence of events" was that makes Dark Knight's success "unrepeatable" though.
Well, Ledger's death, which you mentioned, is a huge one. But also Ledger's performance; as good as Hathaway or Hardy might be, there's clearly not a tenth as much buzz about their acting as there was about Ledger's. We had word long before the film's actual release that he'd knocked it out of the park.

There's also the character; the last film had the Joker, Batman's primary nemesis, and this one doesn't. And it's not even replacing him with one of the other iconic villains that people often associate with Batman, it's replacing him with Bane, who I imagine lots of more casual fans had never even heard of before. And it's not like the marketing materials have given us much of an introduction to what he's like or what he's all about, either.

The counterexample, of course, is that The Dark Knight was a huge, widely-hailed hit and a lot of people are going to carry that excitement forward. But that's why it's going to be a huge, huge hit...just not necessarily the hugest. I think it might sell more tickets, but make a little less money.

What, monetarily? Not likely. It'll probably "win," but probably not by much, and probably not by selling more tickets.

By quality? Well, I kinda doubt that, too...but this is a thread about the box office gross, regardless.

I wouldn't know about quality. Haven't watched Avengers yet.

Oh, just saw it said 'domestically'. I thought we were talking worldwide, which is basically the only thing that counts. So, I predict that the worldwide gross of Avengers will eclipse that of DKR. It won't be close. In the US, it'll be close.

I wouldn't know about quality. Haven't watched Avengers yet.

Oh, just saw it said 'domestically'. I thought we were talking worldwide, which is basically the only thing that counts. So, I predict that the worldwide gross of Avengers will eclipse that of DKR. It won't be close. In the US, it'll be close.
I disagree with both. I think TDKR will win both domestic and worldwide. But not by a whole lot.

The international distinction changes it a little, and probably makes the The Avengers more likely still to come out on top...but not by a lot. The Dark Knight made over $1 billion total; almost as much overseas as domestically. I doubt it'll be a butt-whooping by that metric, either. But hey, that's the fun of it: keep placing your bets, everyone.

I disagree with both. I think TDKR will win both domestic and worldwide. But not by a whole lot.
Seriously?

The Avengers will make $550 mil in the US and $850 mil in other countries. And that's a bare minimum as far as I'm concerned. Do you really think The Dark Knight Rises can gross at least $ 1,4 billion worldwide with the new installment of Spiderman being released two weeks prior and The Bourne Legacy being released 2 weeks after? That's a LOT tougher competition than what Avengers had to deal with so far.

It won't be close. Not even remotely. If I'm wrong, I'll happily eat my plate of crow.