Movie Career Interest

Tools    

Is anybody else interested in a possible career in movie production?

I was just browsing a few sites looking for degree courses and found this "Two-year intensive BA in filmmaking" on "Link

I think it looks pretty sweet and unlike most idiotic drama courses available to me here in Northern Ireland it appreciated the inclusion of graphics design and CGI animation and editing into film studies. Over here your only root into production is theatre.

Just curious who else is going to be directing the next Hollywood horror with me?

I'm not old, you're just 12.

I was just browsing a few sites looking for degree courses and found this "Two-year intensive BA in filmmaking" on "Link

I think it looks pretty sweet and unlike most idiotic drama courses available to me here in Northern Ireland it appreciated the inclusion of graphics design and CGI animation and editing into film studies. Over here your only root into production is theatre.

Just curious who else is going to be directing the next Hollywood horror with me?
Dammit, please don't tell me you just signed up to promote this. We don't take kindly to spammers...

lol no, i didnt.

Anyway. youl believe me in 10 years time when im picking up the best director award at the 100th acadamy awards lol hence the reason im called the next big thing

TheUsualSuspect : Awsome mate.

lol i sure do mate, and i think so too. Trouble is now i gotta redo a course t meet the grades and probably take a gap year out to build up enough money to take my ass over there etc

indirectly it is.
though i acknowlege what i think your getting at.
Consider the obvious trates all great directors have, most are simply skills that are put too great use at the correct times, i mean flare, creativity, vision, time managment, people managment and dedication spring to mind, your not going to learn those in any classroom... and as regards knowlege and extensive expirience... us movie fans have that already provided we pay attention to movies in a little bit more depth han the avrage Joe, which im guessing we do as we all feel strongly enough about our movies, well enogh to come on a forum and chat about them. oh and knowlege is only getting bigger.

The point is I know the first bunch our skills, most good directors already had these. Unfortunately we need a platform to elevate us to a place were we can get to use these skills, hence the degree. Lets be honest, Ridley Scott isnt a great director because he went to school, but he got the oppertunity to use his skills as he used his skills in graphics design and media to get a shot or oppertunity.

Its like saying to a modern day student who wants to become an accountant. The person is about to take a degree in advanced maths. You could say the same thing, Accountants dont use mathamatics anymore, they use Excel, the degree wont help. Pitty you need the degree anyway as a link into the buisness

--
this probably dosent make scense, its very late, sorry

Just remember that when you are at film school you are not there for the piece of paper you are there to make a name for yourself. You have to thrive there. It is not about the grades it is about the respect you earn. I have a degrees up the wazoo and they help in the real world. They are like a financial boost to your salary everytime you get one. But in the entertainment business it is all about your reputation. If you have a good reputation you can make a horrible movie but people will still go to see it... Do you follow what I am saying?

yeah, and thanks allot for your advice, its much appreciated mate. So your involved in the industry? Wazzo? .... ha if yes il probbaly not stop bothering you with questions lol

This is Bat Country!

Im already doing a BA in Film, great course, got a lot of video production elements to it, we shot and edited a 2 minute piece last semester.

From what I know those 2 year course thingyamajig is a waste of time, theyre out to get your money.

I'm looking to go into film school after I finish a few more course for my BCom in Finance. I'm looking for schools but don't want to spend 4 more years of university. I found a few in Toronto. One is the Toronto Film School. I found another one that is a one year intensive course. Anybody in Canada that knows of some film schools?

yeah, and thanks allot for your advice, its much appreciated mate. So your involved in the industry? Wazzo? .... ha if yes il probbaly not stop bothering you with questions lol
Not as much as I would like to be. I went to film school a long time ago and did not follow my own advice. That is why I know what you need to do because I did not do it. I actually have BA in film and creative writing (hoping to write screenplays as a career) but I was also one of the first people to graduate with a computer science degree and at the time (15 years ago) there was much more money in CS than writing. But my heart is still in my screenplays as I have written 7 full featured 2 of which would be 4 hour movies if ever made and I have a dozen or so short stories. I haven't tried to pitch my movies as I do not have the time to dedicate to them just yet. But soon I will be financially secure enough to quit my job and go after my dreams full time and not have to worry about my family and kids getting good educations.

OK enough about me... Feel free to ask me any questions I will be here to answer them.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I would advise against University for film school....you won't touch a camera till the last year there....it's all theory.

I currently go to Humber College in Toronto, it's got a 3 year film & Television program. I'm liking it so far.

The New York Film Academy and Las Vegas School of Art are also two very good hands on schools. Both of them you are writing, directing, acting and producing from year one.

NYFA looks very good but very expensive! I like how you can do a year in NYC, London, or Hollywood.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I've studied twice at the NYFA with varying success.
I studied their two month intensive 16mm film course in 2002, it was a great course, the lectures were amazing and the staff were all deeply passionate about what they did.
I went back in 2004 for their intensive Digital Film course, and it couldn't have been more of a polar opposite.
It appeared to me that all the school was intrested in was your cash, the lecturers were not as good or passionate, and I heard the head of the school refer to the pupils as cash cows on more than one occasion. I had a massive fall out with the school, because I had the audacity to complain about numerous problems we were having as pupils, including lecturers not turning up, or turning up hung-over, no access to computers when we were learning Final Cut Pro, no air conditioning and even a fan falling off our classroom ceiling whilst we were in a lecture.
Despite promising to fix all our problems, they not only ignored us, but tried to make us outcasts and unwelcome at the school, the highlight was his mock Scottish accent in front of several pupils and staff, luckily I wasn't there, or I would have gone all William Wallace on his arse!
I think the thing about a lot of these film schools is that they basically skim the surface of filmmaking and give you a general taste of what filmmaking is all about without giving you in depth information or the skills necessary to pursue a career in filmmaking.
Most of them are a toe in the water experience, the best course I've come across is the RSAMD course in Scotland.
The first year is a general year, where you are shown the many different aspects of filmmaking, before choosing a specific career path in you second year, ie, directing, producing, camera op etc.
What I liked about this course is that the pupils I have worked with that have graduated from it have a wealth of practical knowledge and are able to cross roles with ease, their teaching prepares them for a job in the tv or film industry with practical skills that will gain them work almost immediately.
I think you need to do your research into each course, think about what particular field in the industry you want to go into, and if the course will provide you with the necessary skills to pursue your chosen path upon completion.
If you come across the SAE Institute, I would avoid it as it's yet another cash in, although I can really only speak about the Glasgow school.
Good luck, message me if you want to know more.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Check to see who the instructors are and what they've got as far as credits goes.

I think I go back and forth between supporting film school and not supporting it. Right now, I support it.

You'll meet tons of people, gain tons of knowledge, possibly get enough gonads to go out and produce a low-budget feature directly after school, make new friends, experience a higher creative education (I'm not saying get high and then go to school, that would be a waste, seriously), and you'll also have a diploma of some kind, which regardless of what people say, does help out when you're looking for a job.

Do a little compare and contrast and then do it. Just choose the right school.

Sometimes film schools get these tiffs between one another where they only hire people who went to the same school with the idea that they know what they're capable of. Don't do that. Break the cycle. Hire people because they work hard, show up on time, and don't complain because the coffee isn't exactly how they like it. I guess you can save that for later after graduation.

DIRECT SHORT FILMS WHENEVER POSSIBLE!
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

lol yeah DrooFace , i did actually cringed when i saw the price of the course, might consider intensive one years as appose to extensive two years lol the qualification is indirectly the same damn thing. Glad to hear your enjoying your course mate.

The Usual Suspect: that’s true, but finding alternate routs into the industry can be hard, I know of some great directors breaking through with qualifications in art and design / Graphics design, including say Ridley Scott as one of my favourite directors, but god only knows how safe that bet would be these days. Though I guess you can get into the industry doing something else and then use your resources to get yourself opportunities to become a director, look at Len Wiseman, used to be a prop guy, then became a director with movies such as Underworld 1,2 and Die Hard 4.0.

Darth Stujitzu, that’s too bad regarding your return to the school. May I ask what your up too now, as in a carrer. Oh and I cant wait to start learning final cut pro when I can safe up enough money to afford a mac lol

Not as much as I would like to be. I went to film school a long time ago and did not follow my own advice. That is why I know what you need to do because I did not do it. I actually have BA in film and creative writing (hoping to write screenplays as a career) but I was also one of the first people to graduate with a computer science degree and at the time (15 years ago) there was much more money in CS than writing. But my heart is still in my screenplays as I have written 7 full featured 2 of which would be 4 hour movies if ever made and I have a dozen or so short stories. I haven't tried to pitch my movies as I do not have the time to dedicate to them just yet. But soon I will be financially secure enough to quit my job and go after my dreams full time and not have to worry about my family and kids getting good educations.

OK enough about me... Feel free to ask me any questions I will be here to answer them.

Ironically im doing IT at the minute, lol not really enjoying it to be honest, though even when i break out of that carer path at the end of this year, ive still wasted 2 years of my life.

That’s pretty unlucky mate, buts its great to see your still thinking about the next opportunity into the industry. have you posted any of your work on here, id love to have a read, not sure if there’s a section for fan work on MoFo.

Oh and as for a question, i was just wondering about opportunities available to you when you’ve finished the course, will that depend entirely on what you’ve shown interest in and the grades you’ve achieved/reputation earned e.t.c? I’m just currently worried that when i finish the course il be standing thinking where do i take it from here? Its sort of an industry that might not have obvious paths layered out. Do you receive help on this whilst your on the course .