Harvey Weinstein Fired!!

Tools    

I've been waiting quite a long time for jokes, instead of made-in-lab Democratic Party baloney -- don't wanna know where it came from, either.
I imagine a fair few of the jokes might touch on the alternative meaning of baloney tbh

You can't win an argument just by being right!
No clue. Then again the casting couch has been around since Hollywood's inception. But for the accused to start to say what actress blew which exec what part? That I don't think has been done in an open forum yet. Don't quote me on that though.
I doubt it. It's been a carefully nurtured culture and people have remained silent. I read yesterday that the rumblings about Harv started a long time ago but the legal dept shut it up. I would like to know when those 8 payouts were made - just now or years ago.

You've got red on you!
Oh, I don't think there's too much mystery about it. Increasingly, late night comedy is about getting claps, rather than laughs. That means adopting an ideology (no points for guessing which kind), attracting viewers who share it, and then reinforcing that through confirmation bias.

People used to want to chuckle before going to bed. Now, they just want someone to tell them they're right and people who disagree are dishonest hypocrites. That's what helps us sleep now, I guess.
Ditto and well said, Yoda. When people in the entertainment media start getting ideological about certain topics, they've lost me. Such obvious double standards are really telling.

I doubt it. It's been a carefully nurtured culture and people have remained silent. I read yesterday that the rumblings about Harv started a long time ago but the legal dept shut it up. I would like to know when those 8 payouts were made - just now or years ago.
Yeah I have read a few articles about that. I am also talking about Hollywood period. I don't think anyone in the Hollywood scene who has been accused of sexual misconduct to then go out and say what X person did for a role. Thought there is plenty of discredit the accuser with friendly photo ops post incident BS. That ain't sleazy at all.

Yeah I have read a few articles about that. I am also talking about Hollywood period. I don't think anyone in the Hollywood scene who has been accused of sexual misconduct to then go out and say what X person did for a role. Thought there is plenty of discredit the accuser with friendly photo ops post incident BS. That ain't sleazy at all.
I think with all this kind of stuff escalating these days and people feeling more able to come forward the He/She blew me in my shower every day for a month to get that role in Movie xyz will get absolutely hammered. Imagine the outcry, and rightly so.

Unrelated but I found Tom Cruises divorce clause with Katie Holmes that she couldn't date anyone publicly for 5 years completely bizarre. Does anyone have a possible reason for this, ethics aside?
You should read Going Clear, it goes into the nuts Katie Holmes situation a decent amount. I can't remember if it answers that but you'd probably find it interesting anyway. The book is unsurprisingly much better and more in depth than the documentary even though i think the doc is excellent too.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You should read Going Clear, it goes into the nuts Katie Holmes situation a decent amount. I can't remember if it answers that but you'd probably find it interesting anyway. The book is unsurprisingly much better and more in depth than the documentary even though i think the doc is excellent too.
Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a book. I have the documentary saved on my Sky Box, watched it 3 times I think. Doesn't explain why Cruise wants 5 year no public dating. Could understand 6 months even though that's still controlling and weird but 5 years, I mean wtf Tom.

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a book. I have the documentary saved on my Sky Box, watched it 3 times I think. Doesn't explain why Cruise wants 5 year no public dating. Could understand 6 months even though that's still controlling and weird but 5 years, I mean wtf Tom.
The book is much more in depth than the documentary. It has a large section for L. Ron Hubbard and the beginning of Scientology, a large part for Miscavige and how he came to control it and a large part about Hollywoods involvement especially Cruise. The doc understandably has very shortened parts on each and it barely touches on Miscavige which IMO is the most interesting part. He was basically a little hulked up kid who beat his parents before getting involved with Scientology and oddly he committed a hostile takeover of Scientology while Hubbard was in exile, hilarious since Hubbard is basically the prophet to them.

It's from Lawrence Wright the guy who wrote The Looming Tower and is based on testimony from former Scientology members particularly Paul Haggis (director of Crash), so it's well written and well informed. Alot of it's completely nuts and without a doubt there's some untrue stuff in there but it's a great read anyway, really funny too.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The book is much more in depth than the documentary. It has a large section for L. Ron Hubbard and the beginning of Scientology, a large part for Miscavige and how he came to control it and a large part about Hollywoods involvement especially Cruise. The doc understandably has very shortened parts on each and it barely touches on Miscavige which IMO is the most interesting part. He was basically a little hulked up kid who beat his parents before getting involved with Scientology and oddly he committed a hostile takeover of Scientology while Hubbard was in exile, hilarious since Hubbard is basically the prophet to them.

It's from Lawrence Wright the guy who wrote The Looming Tower and is based on testimony from former Scientology members particularly Paul Haggis (director of Crash), so it's well written and well informed. Alot of it's completely nuts and without a doubt there's some untrue stuff in there but it's a great read anyway, really funny too.
Scientology is just such a fascinating subject. You walk away from the doc thinking "how will it all end", mass suicide? Tom Cruise turns against it? Miscavige goes too far and murders someone (or someone murders him) gets arrested and it crumbles afterwards? IRS ruins it financially. What will the army of acolytes do after it crumbles? Will it even end in our lifetime?

This will not stop me from watching movies produced by the Weinsteins. Regardless of these allegations and what he did, the movies he produced with his brother are some of the best movies of our time. Pulp Fiction being at the top of that list.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Bib-iest of Nickels
John Oliver: Your excuse isn't an excuse. In-fact, it isn't even an excuse in the sixties. Well, back then, we had no idea that women didn't want to be forced to look at dicks. That wasn't discovered by scientists until 1998!

Ohhh I read that some of those settlements were paid out back in 1993 when Harvey worked for Bob Weinstein's Miramax, owned by Disney. I wonder if more heads are going to roll for sweeping it under the carpet.

Not a news source.

Unrelated but I found Tom Cruises divorce clause with Katie Holmes that she couldn't date anyone publicly for 5 years completely bizarre. Does anyone have a possible reason for this, ethics aside?
Is that actually true? IIRC, her father is an attorney & managed to steer her & Tom through their divorce without a ton of acrimony.

Ugh, if only he would keep it buttoned for once. Cannot fathom why he is so popular here.
He's the only late night host who has so far had the guts to speak out about that big slug and should be applauded. Why on earth would you want him to shut up. Good on him.

He's the only late night host who has so far had the guts to speak out about that big slug and should be applauded. Why on earth would you want him to shut up. Good on him.
He’s ghastly. He doesn’t care about those women. He’s very much like Piers Courage of The Daily Mail. All sound and fury, but, essentially, lacking in character of any sort. But, we can agree to disagree. If you like him, that’s your choice.

I sincerely hope that this begins a trend of key people in hollywood getting ousted for stuff like this.

Unfortunately, I am anticipating certain people (whom I respect artistically) getting dragged into this mess. For a long time I had suspected things like this from those people, and it would be a good thing to know for sure so I can decide to stop showing my support for their work.

It's not about whether you like him or not but about people like him giving it a voice so they can stand up and crack down on this filthy culture in Hollywood by those in power from taking advantage of people in the industry. I;m not sure how you're not getting that.

It's not about whether you like him or not but about people like him giving it a voice so they can stand up and crack down on this filthy culture in Hollywood by those in power from taking advantage of people in the industry. I;m not sure how you're not getting that.
I gave my opinion of him. If that is irrelevant to you, simply ignore my posts. Please, don’t make this thread about yourself.

I gave my opinion of him. If that is irrelevant to you, simply ignore my posts. Please, don’t make this thread about yourself.
This thread isnt about your opinion of him, and where did I make this thread about me? Stop projecting. To think you want him to shut up about this disgusting practice simply because you dont like him is woeful. Too late, Oliver took a stand where no one else has. Hopefully more of them do.