100 Top Grossing Movies

Tools    

like my Barbie doll collection...........?

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!
RE: Titanic

It wasn't so much that a lot of people had bad taste....

It was more that the same pack of girls went to see it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

But the thing that made me angrist about that film was that they ruined irreplaceable museum dresses with seawater that they had on loan. Instead of doing the logical thing which would have been to make copies of the dresses in the scenes where they would be ruined.

(And now, something on the lighter side: If Cameron Diaz and Director Cameron got married, she'd be Mrs. Cameron Cameron! )

I totally don't understand why Titanic was sooooooo loved. It has been one of the most ridiculed movies I've ever heard about and yet it made all that money. It gets respect for making all that monet but if it didn't I think it would be absoluetly loathed. I think it the movie was disrepectful of all the people that died on the ship by focusing on the heavily cheesy romance for 2 and half hours only to glorify the wreck at the end. By that time most of the audience wasn't seeing the wreck as a disaster but a relief from DiCaprio. God how I hate this movie...

The Bear with the Funk
i think titanic came out just at that right time you know. For a long time there hasnt been a "love story" set in such a unique location, so alot of ladies (with boyfriends = more moola). Im with most of you, this movie just doesnt seem like its a money maker like it was, but what else besides The Lost World was there to see during that summer that would attract a large audience

What about Starship Troopers, Men In Black, which I think had a wider target audience then Titanic, Scream 2, Princess Mononoke, Face/Off, Father's Day, The Fifth Element, Dante's Peak, The Devil's Advocate, Donnie Brasco, The Peacemaker, L.A. Confidential, Liar Liar, Good Will Hunting, anyway, you get my point. There was plent to offer movie goers that year but no studio could compete with Titanic's ad campaign, which I think is what got people going to see it. B/c it definitely wasn't the actual movie.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Two

Until whomever decides to go by asses in the seats, instead of box office
gross, I'm not going to give a rat's ass.

And for the record, Titanic didn't premiere in the Summer. It was released in late December 1997, and obviously made most of its ungodly money throughout the first half of 1998, competeing not against The Lost World, Men in Black and Air Force One, but flicks such as Spice World, The Wedding Singer and Lost in Space.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I don't care how much money a film makes, I like what I like.

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!
Originally Posted by Knoxville
I don't care how much money a film makes, I like what I like.

Ok, Ok, Quit glareing at me with your eye!

I have seen most of them (and most that I haven't seen are Disney films), and I own none.

I don't really buy films as it's very rare for me to watch a film more than twice... but each to their own.

1 Titanic
2 Star Wars
5 Spider-Man
6 Jurassic Park
7 LOTR: The Two Towers
9 Forrest Gump
11 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
12 LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring
14 Return of the Jedi
16 The Sixth Sense
18 The Empire Strikes Back
22 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
24 Jaws
29 Raiders of the Lost Ark
35 Cast Away
36 The Lost World
37 Signs
42 Saving Private Ryan
49 The Exorcist
54 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
57 Gladiator
59 Dances With Wolves
61 The Fugitive
70 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
74 There's Something About Mary
80 Apollo
81 The Matrix
84 A Beautiful Mind
85 Chicago
90 Catch Me if You Can
97 The Sting
99 X-Men

Damn, I own 32 of them. I only owned about 30 movies two years ago, now I have close to 250.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!

I did own 39, but I exchanged my Spiderman DVD for something else.

There are several more on the list I'd LIKE to have, but there's plenty of time for that.

I don't own Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, or Return of the Jedi because I'm waiting for the DVD release. What are they waiting for, by the way?
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Feed me breadcrumbs
A measly 10. Thats all I got, mind you some of those movies, I would not want anywhere near my collection (It's got a geekboy scifi slant), especially Titanic.

Lucas is supposedly adding further changes to the original trilogy before dvd release (ie. putting a Yoda cameo in ANH and other goodies).

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Damn, I own 32 of them. I only owned about 30 movies two years ago, now I have close to 250.
wow I've been standing still at 170 for a while now.........must catch up to lordslaytan and hopefully surpass lordslaytan hahaha. I Haven't been in the movie collecting frenzy until recently (last year) , then I just started buying out everything wheather it was good or not didn't matter to me, I was working off a "if I don't have it I want it" mindset... then the bankaccount got kindda.............yeah

What I really have to find out is how to get full movies off the net the news talks so much about.

I own 9 of them. The rest I wouldn't want.

twenty, some of them on VHS
This reminds me, really have to get the Indy box, craving that for some time now...

Strange, though... Unless I missed it as I was scanning through that list, the highest grossing movie of all time (not just domestic) isn't in there at all...

No-one owns Gone With The Wind on BetaMax or VHS, then?

Sparky xXx

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by Mako Eyes
Strange, though... Unless I missed it as I was scanning through that list, the highest grossing movie of all time (not just domestic) isn't in there at all...

No-one owns Gone With The Wind on BetaMax or VHS, then?

Sparky xXx

I'm pretty sure Gone with the Wind has been beaten by now, but I still think it is in the top 100, isn't it? I don't think the box office numbers are adjusted to inflation though, and certainly can be misleading for that reason and certainly as time goes on inflation or deflation will show more of an impact.

I remember about 5 yrs ago an adult movie ticket cost $8.50 ( I only paid $5.00, student price.....ahhhh good ole days) nowadays an adult movie ticket at the exact same theather costs $10.50. THIS OVER A PERIOD OF ONLY 5 YEARS. Fight back............buy bootlegged movies

disclaimer: Kaiser Soze does not endorse the buying of bootlegged movies

i own only 24

I have seen most but only own 19 of those and most on video.