The Queen’s Gambit

Tools    

I think that the ending was kind of silly. Who is going to jump out of a car on the way to the airport and miss their flight, unless of course they want to stay where they are. This is highly unlikely, because I don't think that too many Americans were choosing to live in the Soviet Union, at the time that the movie was supposed to be taking place. Other than that I thought that the movie , or should I say mini series ,was excellent, one of the best I have seen in a long time.

Rather good. Would have been just as good in 6 rather than 7 episodes as the pace was somewhat glacial.

I have zero interest in chess, but found it to be an absorbing topic.

Anya Taylor-Joy made the entire thing for me. The camera loves her face.

Hair & makeup were gorgeous. Ditto the costumes. Anya wore wigs, but they were almost indiscernible. She’s a beautiful woman with a lovely figure.

The child who played her at 9 years old is also a terrific actress.

I love it too. My favorite TV series of the year is still Unorthodox, which is also on Netflix, but this one is a close second. How refreshing it is to watch a TV series with a female lead in this day and age
WARNING: spoilers below
where she's not raped or sexually assaulted and that has no toxic men. Sure, she has sex, but it's consensual.

I already rated this to Television Tab, but I guess I can repeat here that it's really good. I gave it 4/5, and you all know how stingy I am.
I knew I had read something about it here, but, as it’s not strictly television, I couldn’t find your review.

Out of topic, but I still don t know if stirchley is a man or a woman, however i quite enjoy reading him/ her s comments

Out of topic, but I still don t know if stirchley is a man or a woman, however i quite enjoy reading him/ her s comments
Thanks. Female.

I’ve heard mixed things about The Queen’s Gambit. Been told storyline is very predictable and that turns people off.
Maybe a little predictable, but the journey to the conclusion is very enjoyable.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
For me, the final two episodes were weaker than the earlier ones, but the series over all was enjoyable. The first 5 minutes of episode 1 were Phantom Thread gorgeous. I think the only reasons the two episodes were "weak" for me include maybe running a bit too long (compress the last three down to two maybe?), the last few plot points were predictable (if not unnecessarily heavy-handed in one or two, and borderline gimmicky in one visual effects motif by the end) as noted in earlier posts and that stood out in contrast to how well much of the series was handled, and general balance in that the opening of the series was so well done, the closure felt underwhelming by comparison.

I guess that reads pretty damning, but I really did enjoy the show.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I guess that reads pretty damning, but I really did enjoy the show.
It kind of does! But I’ve noticed I can sometimes even describe my all-time favourite films in a damning manner. Still unsure if I’ll watch this, frustratingly.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
It kind of does! But I’ve noticed I can sometimes even describe my all-time favourite films in a damning manner. Still unsure if I’ll watch this, frustratingly.
please do. or at the very least watch the first episode? you will know quickly if you are attracted to it. i tend to be kind of harsh with work that i enjoy most. the bar is higher by its own internal standards and so i respond to it (whatever it is, be it movie, music, art, etc.) on that level. things i would pick at here are things that i would likely overlook anywhere else, so take my criticisms in scale. and the few criticisms that i listed were only noticeable in contrast to how good so much it was, which isn't a bad thing at all.

For me, the final two episodes were weaker than the earlier ones, but the series over all was enjoyable.
To reiterate what I said in my OP, the series would have worked just as well with 6 episodes rather than 7.

There’s so much junk around, I enjoyed seeing a mini-series of this quality.

Die Serie ist wirklich sehr gut. Ich stimme Ihnen zu, der Anfang war spannender als das Ende. Aber ich bin aufgeregt wegen der Hauptfigur Beth, ich mochte diese Schauspielerin wirklich.
"Queen's Gambit" ist keine Schachserie. In dieser Serie geht es darum, wie schwierig es ist, ein Genie zu sein, und darum, dass die wichtigsten Schlachten manchmal von uns selbst geführt werden.

Die Serie ist wirklich sehr gut. Ich stimme Ihnen zu, der Anfang war spannender als das Ende. Aber ich bin aufgeregt wegen der Hauptfigur Beth, ich mochte diese Schauspielerin wirklich.
"Queen's Gambit" ist keine Schachserie. In dieser Serie geht es darum, wie schwierig es ist, ein Genie zu sein, und darum, dass die wichtigsten Schlachten manchmal von uns selbst geführt werden.

Now I am still trying to figure out how to translate this into English. Maybe another member here at movieforums who is more knowledgeable than me in such matters could do this. Thank-you in advance and yes I did use google to do it on my own but it didn't work out, sorry.

Now I am still trying to figure out how to translate this into English. Maybe another member here at movieforums who is more knowledgeable than me in such matters could do this. Thank-you in advance and yes I did use google to do it on my own but it didn't work out, sorry.
Google translate does a very good job with this text:

The show is really very good. I agree with you, the beginning was more exciting than the end. But I'm excited about the main character Beth, I really liked this actress.
"Queen's Gambit" is not a chess series. This series is about how difficult it is to be a genius and how the most important battles are sometimes fought by ourselves.
All you need to do is a Google search for "translate" and copy the text. It even knows it's German.

Google translate does a very good job with this text:

All you need to do is a Google search for "translate" and copy the text. It even knows it's German.

Thank-you

I think that the ending was kind of silly. Who is going to jump out of a car on the way to the airport and miss their flight, unless of course they want to stay where they are.
That’s a very good reason to miss a flight. But the ending was ambivalent. She may have caught a later flight. She could do whatever she liked.

Now I am still trying to figure out how to translate this into English.
The onus is on the poster to translate his post into English. Not on us.