The Fantasy Hall of Fame

Tools    

QUEST INFORMATION

If you've never joined a HoF before or would like a refresher, here are the rules:
  • Everyone who joins must nominate a fantasy film by sending it to me via Private Message. Do not reveal your nomination in the thread!
  • Any film that is tagged on IMDB, the Google sidebar, or described on Wikipedia as fantasy is eligible for this HoF. If your film is not described as fantasy in any of those locations, we can discuss in PM whether or not it is an appropriate nomination.
  • Your nomination should be under 220 minutes in length, and cannot have won any previous Hall of Fame. Some popular fantasy films that have previously won include Beauty and the Beast (1991), The Princess Bride (1987), and Spirited Away (2001). For the full list, please see this thread.
  • Everyone who joins must watch all of the nominated films and post about them in this thread. You do not have to write an extensive or elaborate review, but you do need to say something about each film. While you are free to progress at your own pace within the timeframe of the HoF, falling too far behind and failing to keep us updated may result in disqualification.
  • The amount of time you have to watch all films will amount to approximately one week per film nominated. More films means more time to watch them, and less films means the deadline will be closer.
  • When you have finished watching all of the nominations, PM me a ranked list (where #1 is your favourite film) of all nominations. Films will be scored based on where they ranked on everyone's lists, with the final reveal happening after everyone has submitted a list.

ADMITTED APPRENTICES

CosmicRunaway - nomination decided
ahwell - nominated received
Siddon - nominated received
Citizen Rules - nominated received
Wyldesyde19 - nomination received
rauldc14 - nomination received
HolowMan - disqualified
MovieGal - nomination received
edarsenal - nomination received
pahaK - nomination received
gbgoodies - nomination received

Late applications will no longer be accepted.
The last day to join was Friday, July 10th.

JOURNEY'S END

The deadline is set for Saturday, September 19th.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	fantasy-banner.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	65617  

An ancient stone pillar has recently been unearthed.
It appears to have been engraved by the members
of a party who embarked on a dangerous quest.

As archaeologists are able to decipher the writing,
the history of this fellowship will be revealed.
Some fragments are already legible.

~*~

ahwell - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Tideland

Citizen Rules - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

CosmicRunaway - 10/10, list finalized
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

edarsenal - 10/10, list received
La belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

gbgoodies - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

MovieGal - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

pahaK - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

rauldc14 - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

Siddon -10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

Wyldesyde19 - 10/10, list received
La Belle et la Bête
The Dark Crystal
DragonHeart
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Kiki's Delivery Service
Kwaidan
Tideland

Side Quests

Films

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
ahwell
CosmicRunaway
gbgoodies
pahaK
Siddon

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
ahwell
CosmicRunaway
gbgoodies
pahaK
Siddon

Print

Tideland by Mitch Cullin
pahaK

Companion Pieces

Siddon
Alice (1988)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)

Attachments

Name:	fantasy-reviews.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	65618  

From urban fairytales to epic adventures, the fantasy genre is home to
countless imaginative realms that exist in every possible time period.

The real magic is the ability of these films to transport us into
a different version of reality that can be charming, deadly, or
a creative mixture of both.

As our journey through this Hall of Fame begins, these are
the quests our daring heroes have chosen to tackle:

Kwaidan / 怪談 (1964)
Directed By: Masaki Kobayashi
Nominated By: Siddon

~*~

Excalibur (1981)
Directed By: John Boorman
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

~*~

Dragonslayer (1981)
Directed By: Matthew Robbins
Nominated By: Wyldesyde19

~*~

The Dark Crystal (1982)
Directed By: Jim Henson, Frank Oz
Nominated By: CosmicRunaway

~*~

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
Nominated By: gbgoodies

~*~

Kiki's Delivery Service / 魔女の宅急便 (1989)
Directed By: Hayao Miyazaki
Nominated By: ahwell

~*~

DragonHeart (1996)
Directed By: Rob Cohen
Nominated By: edarsenal

~*~

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Nominated By: rauldc14

~*~

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
Directed By: Peter Jackson
Nominated By: HollowMan

DISQUALIFIED

~*~

Tideland (2005)
Directed By: Terry Gilliam
Nominated By: pahaK

~*~

La Belle et la Bête (2014)
Directed By: Christophe Gans
Nominated By: MovieGal

~*~

To view the original reveal, see here.
To follow the results, start reading at this post.
Attachments

Name:	fantasy-nominations.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	65619  

As always, absolutely BEAUTIFUL presentation Cosmic. I already have my nomination sent, super excited about this!!!!

Wow! Very stylish presentation, love the attention to details and the little extras too!

I'm in (of course) and I believe I have my nom picked out. It's solidly fantasy. I have a very unfantasy day of work But when the toil is done, I'll PM in my nom. Really looking forward to this HoF!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
If The Princess Bride isn't eligible, I might join.

Though I'm still not sure cause I don't know what kind of movies would be in this!

The trick is not minding
She always has the most creative HOF openings. I have to think of a nom, but I have a long drive while I go to the Outer Banks for vacation with some friends this next week so that gives me plenty of time to think.

Looking over the lists, I actually surprisingly nominated something none of you have checked off yet!! (including neiba should he join). @Citizen Rules I sort of nominated this for you... you better like it

As always, absolutely BEAUTIFUL presentation Cosmic. I already have my nomination sent, super excited about this!!!!
Thank you! I haven't watched many fantasy films in awhile, so I'm also excited to get this started.

Wow! Very stylish presentation, love the attention to details and the little extras too!

I'm in (of course) and I believe I have my nom picked out. It's solidly fantasy. I have a very unfantasy day of work But when the toil is done, I'll PM in my nom. Really looking forward to this HoF!
Thanks! The little details are fun to come up with. I'm glad they don't put people off haha.

I had a pretty brutal day at work too. Hopefully yours goes more smoothly!

She always has the most creative HOF openings. I have to think of a nom, but I have a long drive while I go to the Outer Banks for vacation with some friends this next week so that gives me plenty of time to think.
You're too kind! Looking forward to seeing what your nomination is - we have an interesting mix already!

Looking over the lists, I actually surprisingly nominated something none of you have checked off yet!!
I should've checked it off ages ago, considering there are like, 2 copies in the house right now haha.

I'm very likely to join this one. I just need to figure out a fitting film (while I like fantasy as a genre, most of the films are actually trash). I have a few decent options already.

(while I like fantasy as a genre, most of the films are actually trash)
Are you trying to imply that films like Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen are not fine art?

For real though, there are a lot of subpar fantasy films out there, but they often have their own charm and can be quite enjoyable to watch. I'm not going down that route for my own nomination, but I'm always happy to watch a B-grade sword and sorcery flick.

Are you trying to imply that films like Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen are not fine art?

For real though, there are a lot of subpar fantasy films out there, but they often have their own charm and can be quite enjoyable to watch. I'm not going down that route for my own nomination, but I'm always happy to watch a B-grade sword and sorcery flick.
I've probably seen the majority of the B-grade sword and sorcery flicks (as a kid, sword & sorcery, post-apocalypse and ninjas meant an automatic watch for me). Some of them still have their charms though, and I still watch them if I happen on a one I haven't seen before (I even rewatch the old ones at times). I won't nominate any of those either and I surely won't go with a children's film so I'm choosing from a rather small number of films

The trick is not minding
I've probably seen the majority of the B-grade sword and sorcery flicks (as a kid, sword & sorcery, post-apocalypse and ninjas meant an automatic watch for me). Some of them still have their charms though, and I still watch them if I happen on a one I haven't seen before (I even rewatch the old ones at times). I won't nominate any of those either and I surely won't go with a children's film so I'm choosing from a rather small number of films
Always look forward to your noms

The trick is not minding

I’ve seen Deathstalker. And maybe Barbarian Queen. Thanks so much for reminding me of the former 😑

Looking over the lists, I actually surprisingly nominated something none of you have checked off yet!! (including neiba should he join). @Citizen Rules I sort of nominated this for you... you better like it
I'm honored and curious to what it is?

I'm very likely to join this one. I just need to figure out a fitting film (while I like fantasy as a genre, most of the films are actually trash). I have a few decent options already.
Join

I'd like to join but where can I see a list of previous nominees/ winners? I can't see fantasy films among the speciality HoFs linked to in the introduction.

The trick is not minding
I'd like to join but where can I see a list of previous nominees/ winners? I can't see fantasy films among the speciality HoFs linked to in the introduction.
Welcome!
Yes, that’s because this will be our inaugural Fantasy HOF. Joins us for this momentous occasion!