The Fountain

Tools    

Movie Forums Member
I've been watching Darren Aronofsky for awhile now. I heard about the new movie that he's making called The Fountain, which I believe is currently in post-production so it should be comming out sometime in the future. I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on him and this movie.

I'll give a brief overview of what I've heard of the movie:

The movie will be starring Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz, and star from Requiem for a Dream, Ellen Burstn. Darren calls this movie "a post-Matrix, metaphysical Sci-Fi movie." His usual directing style exhibits what is known as hip-hop montage which is a masaic of images or events shown sped up. The film was originally casting Brad Pitt as the lead and than changed it to Johnny Depp. Now Hugh is the star of the film (any thoughts on that).

The plot is basically a man, Tom Verde's thousand-year struggle to the woman he loves. He changes his profession throughout time trying to find the secret to eternal life.

I think this movie looks exiting and I'm looking forward to it.

I’ve only seen his Requiem for a Dream, so I don’t know too much about the guy. I’m still looking forward to seeing this one, tho’.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I saw snatches of Requiem for a Dream on my grandma's black box when I was younger and didn't get it. but I have never seen any of his movies all the way through. This sounds fantastic though.

Can we try with real bullets now?
I thought Requiem for A Dream was one of the best movies made in recent years, but I didn't really care much for Pi. The pics for The Fountain look great and the story sounds solid, but the leading man is Hugh Jackman............I trust Aronofsky though, so I'll probably check it out opening weekend.

Do you know my poetry?
I adore Pi, it accomplishes at being an intelligent, interesting character study with a mystery tale that works, very well. With such an incredibly small budget, Aronofsky makes a great film, which along with a great tale also offers us incredibly disturbing but effective visuals. And Sean Gullette made a performance that was f*cking marvelous, too bad he never really developed an acting career, because he really showed us his talent here.

And as for Requiem for a Dream, of course it's a great film, no argument there, and I know nobody who thinks otherwise. Perhaps if I have to choose between the two films, I would choose Pi, it's just somewhat more intriguing that Requiem for a Dream. The man knows how to get powerful performances from his cast, so I'm definately looking foward to The Fountain, I believe he'll pull off another great film.

Lets put a smile on that block
I cannot wait to see this, ive only heard good things about it.

Heres the trailer...

Fountain

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Requiem For A Dream was great, but I think he overdid the super-stylish/Tsukamotoesque camerawork and editing in that one. Pi is fu*king superb though, and is the main reason why I'm looking forward to this.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pitt left The Fountain due to creative differences, he went on to do Troy.

RFAD is one of the most intense, brutal and disturbing movies I've ever seen. So I guess you can say I'm looking forward to this.

Suspect's Reviews

It's gonna give me a headache. I'm gonna have to think. It'll practically be like reading.

HA

There is now a full trailer online, at http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/thefountain/trailer1/

The buzz about this movie seems to be all very positive, so I'm looking forward to it.

This movie, to say the least, looks intriguing and original. Hope those facts don't doom it at the Box Office.

Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas

Someone needs their fill.
The trailer looked beautiful. An innovative story with incredible special effects. The one thing I'm really interested in is the combination of the three time era's. How they're brought together and how they play with Hugh Jackman's quest. This story is about the fountain of youth which is what I got from the trailer, correct? Does he actually live through all of these time era's or does some sort of time travel play into effect?

I'm excited to see this. I heard as a promotional thing, Dasani will begin to bottle water from the actual fountain of youth.

JA Cambece
JA Cambece Law Office

I dunno. It looked good to begin with then just seemed to get too euphoric and dillusional. Not too big on that kind of imagery or storyline.

I don't know about this one. One minute it looks good, the other minute it looks cheesy.

My first reply to this I was joking around but I'm really excited to see this. I think it looks amazing.

District B13
I don't want to rain on the parade, but Darren Aronosky's base story is one of the weakest and most self indulgent pieces of.... trash... that I've ever read.

Seriously, the only redeeming quality about the graphic novel was the excellent illustrations.

That said, RFAD was genius.

I was not that impressed with Requiem For A Dream. Upon all the hype I read about it, I decided to see it on video. I thought it was good, but somewhat overrated.

The horrors of real drug addiction cannot be captured in an MTV-stylized manner and have the impact they deserve. Although not the main plot to the movie, I thought the addictions as depicted in Bad Lieutenant were much grittier. Although I'm not a big fan of that flick, either.