The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm too easily distracted - Never taken the time to actually learn Dark Souls 1 that well. I get so far, fail a ton of times, then move on to something else.

Here's another little teaser - Obsidian's forthcoming Project Eternity, which looks fantastic already and it's nowhere near release. I'd love Obsidian to have a surefire hit finally and not a game which is beloved by the hardcore fanbase but riddled with bugs.

Josh Sawyer's arms don't fit in with the 'nerdy game designer' stereotype but his body shape does.

A system of cells interlinked
RE: Dark Souls 2 - I lived in DS1 for a while, and even spent some time in Darkroot Basin phasing into PVP matches for hours at a time. DS is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and I await the sequel with baited breath!

Re: The video above - Is that a new Infinity Engine game? I am ambivalent about it, I guess.

Well, it's a new game from a lot of the guys behind the Baldur's Gates, the Icewind Dales and the Fallouts and I'm going to be a total sucker for it. Heck, I even bought Lionheart: Legacy of The Crusader.

With Project Eternity, the new Torment and Wastelend 2 on the horizon it seems like isometric squad based (in the case of the first and third game anyway) rpgs are making a comeback.

I'd rather have small studios producing something like that than 100 sprite based hipster indie games.

Crikey. Looks like she's from a completely different game to mine.

I'm going to have a go at installing Skywind tomorrow. A lot of it is unfinished but I'm dying to see what it looks like so far.

My Morrowind install looks great already (see below) and I'm loath to get rid of it. What I'll probably do is use the existing (Steam) install as my original game and dig out my old GOTY disc to install fresh in a new directory for Skywind.

Just upgraded to the GOYTE of Fallout 3, but currently sidetracked with Far Cry 3 (on south island with all outposts cleared, letters and relics collected). Can't decide if I love it, or merely like it. I played Far Cry 2 a couple of months back and find myself missing that one's more realistic/immersive setting and hardcore difficulty (the insane AI - re-spawning outposts etc). Feel like Ubisoft have just pandered to a teenage market and made part 3 more gamey and soft. I know I'm in a minority but I really feel FC2 is an FPS gem and something I'll replay, unlike the latest installment which I'm cruising through on autopilot. The last one really made me think missions through, drive to destinations off road, buy a camosuit (something you can't do in FC3) and choose my weapons carefully. In FC3 I just snipe baddies from a ridge and hey presto outpost liberated undetected.

I liked the choice of characters in Far Cry 2 - Finbar McProvo & co were a touch (but just a touch) more bearable than Brad Dudebro on his gap year. I think FC3 was just that bit more refined in terms of gameplay though.

Talking of Fallout 3, the guy behind the fantastic aMidian Born armour retextures in Skyrim has redone the Power Armour and Combat Armour in F3 and NV.

They really are stunning, though at 4k resolution they'd better be.

There was an interesting question on AskReddit today: Favourite music in Videogames. Thought it might be a fun discussion for the MoFo VG Tab.

Here's some of my favourites:

"Still Alive" from Mirror's Edge. The entire soundtrack to that game is stunning, actually.

"Far Away" from Red Dead Redemption. That sequence just after you get off the raft is one of the most stirring moments in any game I've ever played.

Just one of many inspired choices for the Fallout 3 soundtrack. Completes that game's haunting atmosphere.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Red Dead Redemption's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, as well as Mirror's Edge. Haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but I plan on it. I much prefer the soundtracks of Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Cross, and many Final Fantasy games. Those just happen to be my favorites.

Good call on the RDR song. Fantastic music all round in that game, like most of its other aspects.

Easy number one for me:

Still gives me goosebumps.

Then it gets a bit harder, but It'd be remiss of me not to include:

And of course:

Red Dead Redemption's soundtrack is absolutely fantastic, as well as Mirror's Edge. Haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but I plan on it. I much prefer the soundtracks of Shadow of the Colossus, Chrono Cross, and many Final Fantasy games. Those just happen to be my favorites.
I was thinking about this the other day and if I was pressed, I'd pick Red Dead Redemption as my favourite game this gen. Apart from the pacing of the Mexico section being a bit soggy I think they did everything else brilliantly.

Oh, and for music:

And not just because Taylor's a sweetheart.

I liked the choice of characters in Far Cry 2 - Finbar McProvo & co were a touch (but just a touch) more bearable than Brad Dudebro on his gap year. I think FC3 was just that bit more refined in terms of gameplay though.
Yeah the FC2 characters are much better in a scuzzy soldier of fortune way (the game reminded me a lot of Mercenaries on xbox 1 in that respect), and it certainly works the morality issue more effectively than FC3 thanks to the politically charged setting.

As for FC3: I don't mind Jason Brody who at least goes through a coming of age awakening of sorts, but his friends are a bust. Every time I rescued one of those frat boy losers it stuck in my craw (especially the cap wearing stoner 'nice tats dude' yuck!). Agree the FC2 gun play is rougher around the edges, but the atmospheric Colonel Kurtz thing they have going on with the Jackal is very cool.

You want to post like me?
Okami HD is free for any PS+ user. There's a ton of yada-yada npcs but once you get past that, it's a brilliant game, even with a controller.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Okami's one of those games on my "have to play" list, but I never seem to get around to it. Haven't played it before, but I hear good things about it, mostly.

Easy number one for me:

Still gives me goosebumps.
Nice. I remember the Tomb Raider 3 version best, which I believe was very similar. That game is one of my earliest memories now that I think about it. Running around the mansion away from the creepy butler!

Edit: Holy s**t, nostalgia overload.

Well, just had BioShock Infinite spoiled for me. Was reading some game article, and the site had a "recent comments" thing on the side and one of them just flat-out said it. The entry the comment was on had spoiler warnings, naturally, but the comment feed doesn't, and it actually reproduces the beginning of each comment. Ugh.