I need some 2000s movie recommendations that I will actually watch!

→ in
Tools    

I'm still watching movies that you guys recommend to me for the upcoming MoFo 2000s Top 100 Countdown. Last night I watched another that was recommend by @gomorra82

A Serious Man (Coen Bros 2009)

Love that table! And love the asymmetrical tapered end. Look at how big that table is, wow!..The wood is sure beautiful, I don't see a knot in that wood anywhere. I wonder if that is maple. And I wonder where the Coen's found it at?

What I loved most about A Serious Man was the attention to the details in this 1967 period piece film. The house that they lived in was a treasure trove of all things mid-century. I must have paused the film a half dozen times just to study the furniture or some detail in the far corner of the scene. I love movies where the art director builds the feeling of the film with the sets that they decorate.

I was impressed too by the exterior shots of the housing area where they lived. All the houses and their yards looked authentic mid 60s. I wonder how much work they had to do to convert those existing houses to a 60s look. I know one thing, the Coen's really put a lot of work in recreating a bygone era here.

All the lead actors were relatively unknown which works good as it seems we're watching people in the past and not just seeing actors in a movie. The story and it's themes are well done as one would expect from the Coens, though it didn't resonate with me personally. Still a solid film and I'm glad to have watched it.

subjectively
objectively

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	f87yv4o7fey41.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	81383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-21 08-30-35.png
Views:	159
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	81385  

Love that one. I think it sneaks into my Coen Top 5.

Love that one. I think it sneaks into my Coen Top 5.
I haven't seen that many of their films but I'm impressed with their style from what I've seen. I need to see more!
I loved Barton Fink 5/5
and The Man Who Wasn't There 4/5
The Man Who Wasn't There
This is stunning film work! Visually the use of shadows and high key lighting, silhouettes and Dutch angles, wide overhead shots and deep focus...are all here and done to a level of sublime that I've not often seen in a movie. This film should be used to train new directors in the art of lighting. CR

A system of cells interlinked
In the Mood for Love is a real good choice! I did see it before and wrote what I think is a rather nice review. Hopefully somebody will read it: My Review of In the Mood for Love
Excellent review. I have that screenshot at the top of your review hanging above my desk at work...

I haven't seen that many of their films but I'm impressed with their style from what I've seen. I need to see more!
I loved Barton Fink 5/5
and The Man Who Wasn't There 4/5
I've seen a bunch and the only one that I might consider somewhat "mediocre" is Intolerable Cruelty, and I still think is enjoyable.

Excellent review. I have that screenshot at the top of your review hanging above my desk at work...
Nice choice for wall art

A Serious Man is probably my favorite Coen brothers film. It's going to make my ballot for sure.
I'm not sure if any Coen brothers films will make my list or not? Then again I haven't seen that many so who knows.

I've seen a bunch and the only one that I might consider somewhat "mediocre" is Intolerable Cruelty, and I still think is enjoyable.
I've not seen that one, but the title isn't too inviting to me.

I've not seen that one, but the title isn't too inviting to me.
It's a bit of a quirky romcom starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones. As far as I can remember, it's very inoffensive, but nothing you should get out of your way to watch. If you wanna dive into the Coens, there are probably a dozen better films to go for. And since we're talking 2000s, and you already saw The Man Who Wasn't There and A Serious Man*, I would recommend Burn After Reading. Maybe it won't make it in this 2000s tournament, but it's still a hilarious, weird comedy.

* I'm assuming you've seen No Country for Old Men, but if you haven't, then that should be your priority. That one's a serious contender for #1 on this 2000s list.

I'm not sure if any Coen brothers films will make my list or not? Then again I haven't seen that many so who knows.
Have you seen No Country for Old Men? It's generally considered to be the best of their 2000's-era output.

Have you seen Driving Aphrodite CR? Not seen it for some years (I'll be rewatching it in the run up to the countdown at some point) - iirc it's quite cornball but my memory is of enjoying it nonetheless.

I was impressed too by the exterior shots of the housing area where they lived. All the houses and their yards looked authentic mid 60s. I wonder how much work they had to do to convert those existing houses to a 60s look. I know one thing, the Coen's really put a lot of work in recreating a bygone era here.
My wife's stepmom grew up in the same neighborhood as the Coen brothers--IIRC she was friends with their older sister (and the synagogue in the film is, I believe, her childhood synagogue). Anyway, she says that the movie is indeed a very accurate re-creation of where she grew up. From the production notes on Wikipedia it sounds like they had to use a nearby area of Hennepin County for the right look for the film. And it definitely took a bit of work on top of that. This is a good article on location scouting and pre-production for the movie.

Great film, and strong candidate for my list.

...I would recommend Burn After Reading. Maybe it won't make it in this 2000s tournament, but it's still a hilarious, weird comedy.
* I'm assuming you've seen No Country for Old Men, but if you haven't, then that should be your priority. That one's a serious contender for #1 on this 2000s list.
Never assume, ha Nope I've not seen No Country for Old Men... I've not seen Burn After Reading either.

Have you seen Driving Aphrodite CR? Not seen it for some years (I'll be rewatching it in the run up to the countdown at some point) - iirc it's quite cornball but my memory is of enjoying it nonetheless.
Not seen that either. Maybe I never watch movies I haven't seen many it seems.

Thanks guys for the recs, I will be checking out more Coens sometime in the future.

Never assume, ha Nope I've not seen No Country for Old Men... I've not seen Burn After Reading either.

Not seen that either. Maybe I never watch movies I haven't seen many it seems.
Prioritize that

My wife's stepmom grew up in the same neighborhood as the Coen brothers--IIRC she was friends with their older sister (and the synagogue in the film is, I believe, her childhood synagogue). Anyway, she says that the movie is indeed a very accurate re-creation of where she grew up. From the production notes on Wikipedia it sounds like they had to use a nearby area of Hennepin County for the right look for the film. And it definitely took a bit of work on top of that. This is a good article on location scouting and pre-production for the movie.

Great film, and strong candidate for my list.
Cool that your wife's stepmom was friends with the Coen's sister. I thought the movie was very accurate in the look of the late 1960s and I guess it was! Thanks for telling me about all that...and for the link to the article too

2007 is just a brutal year.

As I was watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I kept thinking "How did Deakins not win Best Cinematography for this???"

Then I looked up the other films that year. Deakins was also up for No Country for Old Men. Did not win for that either! No, the award went to Elswit for There Will be Blood. Crazy!

2007 is just a brutal year.

As I was watching The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I kept thinking "How did Deakins not win Best Cinematography for this???"

Then I looked up the other films that year. Deakins was also up for No Country for Old Men. Did not win for that either! No, the award went to Elswit for There Will be Blood. Crazy!
Easily one, if not the best year of the decade in pretty much every aspect. I still haven't seen Jesse James and still would have a hard time picking one for Cinematography. Elswit's work in There Will Be Blood was magnificent.

Easily one, if not the best year of the decade in pretty much every aspect. I still haven't seen Jesse James and still would have a hard time picking one for Cinematography. Elswit's work in There Will Be Blood was magnificent.
Curious to see what you think of Jesse. Sorry, I am not typing that title out anymore!

Curious to see what you think of Jesse. Sorry, I am not typing that title out anymore!
It's a film I've been meaning to watch since forever. I remember I even rented it at Redbox years ago, but it came with a scratch. Didn't even get past the first scene.

@Citizen Rules - you can scrub Driving Aphrodite off if you put it on your watchlist, am watching it right now (half-hour in) and boy, my memory sucks .... it's not entirely terrible but it's predictable run-of-the-mill fare at best. Sorry for the bum steer

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a lock for a high position on my ballot. The cinematography=excellence. But it's the lack of Hollywood hype BS that makes this film so perfect. That and the period correct vernacular. What a script!

and what a long ass title it is Yes he needs to see it!

@Citizen Rules - you can scrub Driving Aphrodite off if you put it on your watchlist, am watching it right now (half-hour in) and boy, my memory sucks .... it's not entirely terrible but it's predictable run-of-the-mill fare at best. Sorry for the bum steer
Thanks Chyp, will do.