The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

The trick is not minding
The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Ireland’s fight for independence is a subject I haven’t seen often on film. I ha sunshine fit would go along the lines of most films with a similar premise. It would be too easy to categorize it as a war story about a countries struggle for independence. But it’s so much more then that.
It’s also story about two brothers and their conflicting ideology.

Cillian Murphy, as Damien is the emotional and moral center of this film. Recruited by his older brother, Teddy, into the IRA, they work tirelessly to gain their independence from the British. *

Murphy is amazing to watch as his portrayal undergoes a subtle transformation, as does Damien, as the war waged on and his group splinters. To his surprise, Teddy takes the side of the free state. It is a decision that will alter their fates inexorably.

There are some great scenes, such as the group emerging through the fog, and one involving the group being caught unaware in an old ruin. And some obligatory battle scenes. But those scenes are brief, violent, and no exploitive. They serve to move the scene forward, as they then deal with its after math with actual intelligence.

There are times the film seems preachy and self righteous, and the British are often portrayed as simple brutish thugs. But there are some interesting scenes that show the Irish resort to the same tactics after they have splintered and turned on each other. So I guess that balances out some.

In the end, I felt like I had been hit in the gut. Such was Loach’s ability, much like he had in I, Daniel Blake, to express sadness and tragedy. It is a conclusion that both angers, and eviscerates me emotionally. I watch the credits roll, and I can’t help but think to myself “What a waste.”

This is another fine pick, in a HOF full of them. And I find myself awed by this. It is moments like this which reminds me why I join to begin with.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Ireland’s fight for independence is a subject I haven’t seen often on film. I ha sunshine fit would go along the lines of most films with a similar premise. It would be too easy to categorize it as a war story about a countries struggle for independence. But it’s so much more then that.
It’s also story about two brothers and their conflicting ideology.

Cillian Murphy, as Damien is the emotional and moral center of this film. Recruited by his older brother, Teddy, into the IRA, they work tirelessly to gain their independence from the British. *

Murphy is amazing to watch as his portrayal undergoes a subtle transformation, as does Damien, as the war waged on and his group splinters. To his surprise, Teddy takes the side of the free state. It is a decision that will alter their fates inexorably.

There are some great scenes, such as the group emerging through the fog, and one involving the group being caught unaware in an old ruin. And some obligatory battle scenes. But those scenes are brief, violent, and no exploitive. They serve to move the scene forward, as they then deal with its after math with actual intelligence.

There are times the film seems preachy and self righteous, and the British are often portrayed as simple brutish thugs. But there are some interesting scenes that show the Irish resort to the same tactics after they have splintered and turned on each other. So I guess that balances out some.

In the end, I felt like I had been hit in the gut. Such was Loach’s ability, much like he had in I, Daniel Blake, to express sadness and tragedy. It is a conclusion that both angers, and eviscerates me emotionally. I watch the credits roll, and I can’t help but think to myself “What a waste.”

This is another fine pick, in a HOF full of them. And I find myself awed by this. It is moments like this which reminds me why I join to begin with.
It's been a while since I saw this and I felt the same way at the end. Cillian Murphy WAS excellent in this. It was this film that goaded me into trying out the TV series because of Murphy.

Paper Moon

It’s hard to remember now, but Ryan O’Neal was at one time considered among the top actors. Particularly during the 1970’s. He had many hits including Love Story, What’s up, Doc?, and Barry Lyndon, among others. Though he was limited in range, he was still decent when he needed to be. Such as playing Moze in Paper Moon.

Here he isn’t asked to do much. He plays a grifter suddenly stuck with a young girl who may or not be his daughter. He seems to think he is much smarter then he really is. He seems to move from town to town to take advantage of recent widows with bible scams. He’s funny, nails the part as required, and doesn’t try to do too much. It works.

The girl, Addie, played by his real life daughter Tatum O’Neal, is the real star here. Here we have a precocious little girl, suddenly orphaned, but wise beyond her years. She has Moze pegged easily. She’s easily the best part of the film. What follows is an unlikely partnership.

Watching Tatum, it’s a shame to think about how her life turned out afterwards. Addie has an uncanny ability to read a situation and scheme and manipulate the situation to her advantage. There is a scene where she accurately discerns a potential marks wealth merely by observation. And later on, she schemes to remove a woman who seems to be distracting Moze from his grifting. It is a brilliant scene to watch.

The films flows effortlessly, no doubt aided by the fact they were actually father and daughter, and in part due to a good script. That relationship only helps the film. The banter flows just as easily. It avoids being sentimental, and doesn’t cheapen the effect with any emotional baggage. There is no actual deep conversation regarding their actual relationship.
Good pick here whoever picked it. Really enjoyed this!
It was me. Had a really good feeling you'd enjoy this. Though, like cricket remarked, "Paper Moon has still never been a bad choice."

The trick is not minding
It was me. Had a really good feeling you'd enjoy this. Though, like cricket remarked, "Paper Moon has still never been a bad choice."
Yeah, it flowed so effortlessly without trying to do so much. Good pick!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Double Indemnity

No idea what the movie was about going in, all I knew was that it was considered a classic noir film and it lives up to that.

After having Sunset Blvd recommended to me last round, this marks my third Wilder film, the other being Witness for the Prosecution. All three of these movies are great with Double Indemnity having the snappiest of the dialogue. I was on this roller coaster of a ride from start to finish and I was wondering if they were going to get away with it, even after being introduced to our lead character with a bullet wound and a confession, that thought still managed to cross my mind.

It's a well-written crime story that is intricately plotted and superbly acted. These people are bad people and just when you think you've seen it all, more revelations come to light shedding more badness on their bad selves!!! I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want them to get away with it for at least a split second, but then reality hits you like a ton of bricks and you realize you were simply caught up in their chemistry.

Shame on me for taking so long to watch a film like this.

Can't even count the number of times I've watched Double Indemnity and at one point, I think I over did it since I grew very lukewarm for it. Though that was remedied when I took an extended vacation from it and became in love with it again. The more recent revisit found me loving Robinson's character above Stanwyck and MacMurray.
For an actor who is iconic for playing bad men/gangsters, he really does shine when playing an investigator. Like he did in The Stranger.

But yeah, Suspect, ya can't help but hope they'd pull it off; if not for that nagging sensation of the double-cross creeping up on ya from the moment Stanwyck saunters down that staircase and MacMurray tries not to be smitten.
Great film.

Platoon:

So, so many films about the horrors of the Vietnam War, but Platoon still manages to stand out. It's use of sparse music and choices of specific pieces are very effective. One thing I really liked was the natural sounds of the jungle constantly being in the film, and basically serving as some kind of musical ambiance. The peaceful and relaxing nature of it almost seems like an ironic choice, considering the circumstances the characters are in. I also noticed it actually took awhile before the film introduced the voice-over, which is a good indication of how Stone wanted us to get invested in this world before throwing us into the story. The building of tension is good and the battle scenes (while a bit too dark to see at times) are greatly intense (I love that shot of the villain's red eyes as an explosion goes off behind him). Also great writing and acting all around (Sometimes you binge so many weird films that you forget what a classic Hollywood film is like!).

I would say that I like Apocalypse Now much more, but that's a bit unfair to say as they're both very different depictions of soldiers in the war. Thanks to whoever picked this. Only one left.

kramer vs. kramer

was surprised by how much i really liked this one. i feel like it has a reputation as above-average oscar bait, which is technically quite true, but it's also a bit better than that sounds. it hews close enough to the rhythms and textures of the best of 70s hollywood to conjure a real sense of emotional honesty rather than just feeling like it's following a standard tearjerker template. again, in a literal sense it actually does adhere pretty closely to said template, but it's a testament to the film that i was able to forgot about that for long stretches. since i'm not well-versed enough in the oscar bait of the 70-80s to render any judgement on this film's influence or historical significance, it's relevant that at the very least i would believe that this movie established the modern version of that template if someone told me it did, because, even having already seen a movie like a marriage story, there's still a freshness to the filmmaking that caught me off-guard and allowed me to have a genuine emotional response at many points. i got high with twenty minutes left in the movie and was an absolute mess by the end, but even before hitting the bong i still found a lot of it very affecting. my only minor critique of an otherwise rock-solid emotional arc is that dustin hoffman enters Good Dad mode very quickly and we barely see him change, but, to the film's credit, it elegantly gives us enough detail on the background of its characters' relationships so that by the end there is still a real sense of transformation. i was in tears for much of the ending, mostly due to the weed i'm sure, but i also just think it gets across the selflessness of parenthood better than almost any movie i've seen and it's incredibly moving.

of course, this could all just be a lot of words to over-think a bunch of positive qualities that could instead just be directly ascribed to the three incredible performances at the center of the film. it's a lot easier to have your solid-yet-unspectacular filmmaking feel fresh and exciting when it revolves around dustin hoffman and meryl streep acting their ass off the whole time. i tend to tell myself i think meryl streep is overrated, mainly because she's in so few movies i actually care about, yet every time i see her act i'm forced to reckon with the fact that she may actually just be the greatest to ever do it, and this might be my favorite performance of hers even if she's not in for long stretches and one could argue her character could be better-written. might also be a career-best turn for hoffman, although i think there are a few in contention for that title. and yet the kid somehow manages to hold his own against these two giants, idk how he does it.

+
criticker

I remember being a bit surprised by how good Kramer vs Kramer was when I saw it in the 70s HoF and did not expect the raw emotion and at the same time felt silly since is Streep and Hoffman. Of COURSE there was going to be a raw emotion to their performances.

I have always been blown away by Platoon from the first time in the theater seeing it. It always sends me reeling just thinking back on it.